prop balancer

SMP

Our topflite spindle was rubbish so we use the Dubro as well. Unfortunately Like Kloner says, the minute you have one or two birds in the shop balancing props becomes a major pain in the ***...

Hmmm Chris may be onto something here with that Dynex... You like it so far yes??

Last edited by a moderator:

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Thanks for sharing this valuable info that I am sure many will want asap....... I had to find an alternate supplier of the digital jewelry scale but succeeded....
BUT it is very important to select one with a weight resolution of 0.001 grams... (not the 0.01 gram resolution which is much more common)
I had talked to my cousin, a Mechanical Engineer specializing in heavy machinery vibration analysis because I was spending way too much time trying to balance my motors......
He described much more efficient methods such as the Dynex method you shared......but none were available until now..... so glad to see this but will have to wait until they restock.

You can't beat Dynamic Balancing with ANY ordinary prop balancer. I ordered the Dynex balancer (took from Australia to Austria about 6 days) from here:

http://www.dynexhobby.com/

You can balance the motor AND the props, since balancing the props alone is pretty useless.

Here is how it works:

Works like a dream, just takes a little bit to figure it out.....but not too complicated.

You will also need something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005Y5LAOG

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi, this is definitely a good way to balance motors and motors with props. I found unless bearings are 100% it can be difficult because of the variation in vibration up and down the scale. I know its easy to lock in the maximum with the software in each of the four readings taken, but it is not totally accurate and therefore the balance weight added to balance the motor may not turn out as good as it should.

Just saying guys if you use this method make sure everything is good, good bearings with nos slop and motor shafts need to be a snug fit through the inner bearing race.

Regards - bruce

dynexhobby

Good vibrations
Hi guys,

DynexHobby finally on the forum. Just a note, when balancing its handy to turn the filter "on" to eliminate other sources of noise such as bearing defects. This helps you concentrate on the unbalance signal.

If you are fault finding using the frequency analysis, then you need to turn the filter "off". This allows Vortex to collect all possible sources of vibration so that the operator can determine what is causing the problem.

Hope this helps.

regards

DH

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
thanks for joining us DH....

We're working on a product review of the Dynex Vortex dynamic balancer, at this point we're awaiting shipment of the unit. I know Kloner is also awaiting his as well so we should have additional experiences to share in the not-too-distant future.

Bart

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
i believe they are ordered directly through the website.

you know, now that i think about it, a vibration monitor that can record airframe vibration levels during a flight would be a huge help. Dynex dude, is that possible? it would allow us to correlate vibration levels to the quality of our recorded media especially when tuning a new helicopter or camera mount.

bart

dynexhobby

Good vibrations
Hi Bartman,

Yes its possible. We experimented with a wireless module but wasn't able to transmit a large amount of data fast enough. You need high speed communication for frequency analysis in real time. There are some other devices on the market that can record vibs in flight but not in high resolution (or in real time). We decided to park this idea for the time being. We are concentrating our efforts on desk top analysis as its easy to do and you can solve a majority of problems on the bench. Our goal is to produce the best affordable analyzer on the RC market. That's why user feedback is so important to us.

Regarding product supply, yes we produce small batches for the time being.

regards

DH

i believe they are ordered directly through the website.

you know, now that i think about it, a vibration monitor that can record airframe vibration levels during a flight would be a huge help. Dynex dude, is that possible? it would allow us to correlate vibration levels to the quality of our recorded media especially when tuning a new helicopter or camera mount.

bart

cootertwo

Well, I just got done working on some CF props, using black finger nail polish. Love the smell. After awhile, I don't care if they balance, or not !!!!!!:highly_amused:

Mojave

thanks for joining us DH....

We're working on a product review of the Dynex Vortex dynamic balancer, at this point we're awaiting shipment of the unit. I know Kloner is also awaiting his as well so we should have additional experiences to share in the not-too-distant future.

Bart

How does everyone like their Dynex Dynamic Balancers? Will this be the best way to balance MR motors with 16 or 18 inch props attached as a unit?

dynexhobby

Good vibrations
There is a learning curve with dynamic balancing. Best bet is to read the manual first then watch the videos on our YouTube channel. The manual outlines the basic theory and provides step by step methods for carrying out balancing. I'm always on the forums to help answer questions. We went through the same learning process 12 months ago with the EDF flyers. Took some time to get their minds around the theory but once they got it, the results were amazing. I personally fly multi-rotors and found that well balance motors and props, made a huge difference.

Each setup is different so there may be some tweaking of the method to suit your application. Keep at it, you will get there.

Its been very quite on this thread so please ask if you're not sure.

regards

Mark

It is really hard to figure out......

dynexhobby

Good vibrations
Hi guys, please note there is a new software upgrade available. The latest version now includes a measurement tool which can be used independent of the Scope software. It is only available to customers who purchase the Vortex. You can download it at the link below;

http://www.dynexhobby.com/windows.html

Enjoy
biggrin.gif

DH

Also checkout our YouTube video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZD9NODV9BI

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Hi Mark, I have been trying to balance my motors and props using the Dynex. Two issues. It seems that no matter what tiral weight I use I always get a report saying that it is too heavy or too light, even if I use the trial weight tool- any ideas what I might be doing wrong? Secondly, I can get the vibes at the frequency I am running my motor (approx 40hz) down to about 0.03 which seems to be on a par with all the other background vibes ie when you look across all the frequencies the amplitues are all about that appart from one peak which is happening at the 240Hz or there abouts and this is way bigger than anything else. Given that this is about 5.8 times the rotational frequency, any idea what might be causing this? I am using 18inch Tmotor props on the Tiger U7 motors (12N14p config). Thanks very much. I would also echo that this is not the easiest thing to learn but I am getting there!

dynexhobby

Good vibrations
Hi Carapau,

First off congratulations on your effort and sounds like you are well on your way. You are correct about balancing; there is a lot to learn. However, it’s just like everything else new in RC, once you get it, it’s there with you forever. Remember the first computer radios that came out? Boy that took me a while to get my head around it.
OK, so the first issue is the trial weight size. If you are balancing the motor then the trial weight should be proportional to the motor bell for an outrunner. However as all motors are generally balanced anyway, I use a piece of tape.
Now, for a propeller, you need to weight the whole propeller which I assume you have done. If you have applied the trial weight as determined by the tool, then you should be in the right ball park. However, I have noticed that if the motor mount is too stiff then it can mask the vibration readings a little (it’s a rare case but can happen). Generally we mount the motor in a soft mount so it can transfer vibrations to the sensor. I have a video online that shows my setup.
The other issue you raised is that you are seeing vibs at 240Hz when running at 40Hz. To me it appears to be either cogging from the motor or motor switching. 240Hz seems to be a multiple of the number of poles your motor has. Generally I filter out all frequencies above and below 40Hz and then balance. I have an example how I have done this using our new software package. The first image shows 40 and 240Hz. The second image shows only 40Hz after filtering.
View attachment 18032View attachment 18033
If you are getting vibs down so it matching background levels then you are doing very well indeed.
Keep asking questions if you need any further assistance.
Regards
DH

Attachments

• raw_signal.jpg
    raw_signal.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 195
  • filtered.jpg
    filtered.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 131