prop balancer

XPFTP

good one to use ??? i have had the balance beam style .. not sure i like them as they seem to change sooo easy ..
any other style and make .. thanks for info...

kloner

Aerial DP
theres two main balancers that work.... Dubro friction balancer, imo that ones good enough for a hobbiest but if your chassing out minor flaws in your system, step up to the Top Flite magnetic. if you spend the time and make it so the prop can be let go anywhere on a magnetic balancer like that and stays, your footage will improve alot. the prop noise will completely go away and it'll fly like it never has. on an octo with 15" props takes me 10-14hrs to completely nail down but man, it's so worth it. The friction balancer gets it close though, close enough to where props are still loud, in my experience it won't fly perfectly in wind, motors will run hotter and your flight times will be less.......

BatCam

RPAS Pilot
Kloner, do you balance by adding weight or removing? I've been using nail varnish to paint under my props, but have always been curious if using sandpaper to remove fibre is any better?

The problem with the TopFlite balancer is that most of them have spindles that are out of true and therefore induce a certain amount of error in the balancing process. I went through six of them and each one had an out-of-true spindle. I finally gave up and threw the spindle away. I use a modified drill bit now for mounting the prop in the balancer.

....sT

ChrisViperM

You can't beat Dynamic Balancing with ANY ordinary prop balancer. I ordered the Dynex balancer (took from Australia to Austria about 6 days) from here:

http://www.dynexhobby.com/

You can balance the motor AND the props, since balancing the props alone is pretty useless.

Here is how it works:

Works like a dream, just takes a little bit to figure it out.....but not too complicated.

You will also need something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005Y5LAOG

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi Chris, this balancing system is interesting, seems very good and well priced, did you receive it in bits and have to assemble (seems like it is a kit) or is it a completed assembled dynamic balancing unit?
Thanks Chris - regards bruce

kloner

Aerial DP
that is a nice kit chris

i'm on the same tru flite spindle i've had for 6 years that came with the balancer, the flight performance speaks for itself. When i bought it got 3 extra spindles and 2 extra stoppers, still sitting there in the drawer.....

i use the top flite shaft to balance on my dubro. everybody wants to know where i got the killer shaft when they see me use it

ChrisViperM

Hi Chris, this balancing system is interesting, seems very good and well priced, did you receive it in bits and have to assemble (seems like it is a kit) or is it a completed assembled dynamic balancing unit?
Thanks Chris - regards bruce

It comes as a kit, but with very basic soldering skills it's built up in not even 15 minutes......

This picture shows the components:

View attachment 12762

....and here you see how it looks like assembled:

View attachment 12763

After that just slide it into the casing and you are finished.

Chris

Attachments

• Dyn 1 IMG_5348.jpg
    Dyn 1 IMG_5348.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 375
  • Dyn 2 IMG_5348.jpg
    Dyn 2 IMG_5348.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 370

CdA D

Kloner, do you balance by adding weight or removing? I've been using nail varnish to paint under my props, but have always been curious if using sandpaper to remove fibre is any better?

I can't imagine removing material from a carbon fiber blade. I use a little black electrical tape about 3/8 (.9535 cm) long. I wipe the blade off with some mineral spirits and lightly attach the tape to the prop, on the low side, while it is on the balancer. If the taped blade side moves down then I move the tape more to the center and if it moves up then I move it more to the outside of the blade. Once it balances then I press down the rest of the tape and recheck. If the tape moves closer than 1 1/2 in. (3.81 cm) to the hub then cut a SMALL piece off of the tape and retry. I hope this helps. Good luck.

kloner

Aerial DP
I am sanding, mainly edges. they come pretty close but you want to keep the work towards the center of the prop and leave outside completely alone. I get down to 400 grit, can't imagine getting that close with anything else, even if you add it takes a slight removal or it's not totaly perfect, talking absolute perfect. can do the CF props twice as fast as any other and the lefts/rights are the same unlike apc or graupner where one consistently takes alot more work than the other.

adding material is cool unless you have an incident where it blows off and the prop is still fine like a tip over or travel damage.......

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I have the TF magnetic and my original spindle was off. the plastic hubs can be off too. the problem is that thing is SOOO sensitive you may never get perfect as the neighbor might have sneezed, maybe your wife hit her keyboard too too hard or there is some electrical disturbance in your house wiring. I personally feel that if you get your blades decently balanced they are good enough for video. The problem comes when you use wood props, then you are talking about balancing hubs. That is a whole other realm of experience and a test of patience. I use typical 3m scotch tape under the blade in the middle. As for hubs, I gave up on Xoars my 1st time around so i dont know what to say. i was told by Bart to use that aluminum ducting tape. I think i will try the tiger carbons next time in hopes of not having to do that but for now my APC's are so friggin easy to balance as you only need to balance the props, there is not enough hub to matter unless something was really off.

Hi Chris, I ordered the Dynex_Vortex Dynamic Balancer should arrive Tuesday.

Hi Iris, I find that even with the du-bro balancer I have to be care full of slight air movement as this will cause the prop to rotate (even breathing). I always check both blades and hubs, I only use Graupner.

Regards - bruce

CdA D

I am sanding, mainly edges. they come pretty close but you want to keep the work towards the center of the prop and leave outside completely alone. I get down to 400 grit, can't imagine getting that close with anything else, even if you add it takes a slight removal or it's not totaly perfect, talking absolute perfect. can do the CF props twice as fast as any other and the lefts/rights are the same unlike apc or graupner where one consistently takes alot more work than the other.

adding material is cool unless you have an incident where it blows off and the prop is still fine like a tip over or travel damage.......

I fold the tape over the leading edge. Never had an issue. I thinking of getting a dynamic balancer. I like the idea of balancing the motors also. At least I will have removed all the vibration I can.

Hi I balance my motors prop adapter and prop all together with a laser pointer and mirror Mount the laser onto a block of wood approx the same height as motor arm zip tie a small plastic mirror to the arm take off the props not being balanced, shine the laser into the mirror and project beam onto solid surface about 5ft away spin up motor whilst holding tri, quad etc down and if your using collet adapters you can turn prop on motor shaft till you get almost still red dot on the wall etc. works for me only downside is you have to do it all again after a crash cheers Tony

kloner

Aerial DP
yea, saw it on but then i seen he is out. Hopefuly a new batch comes in soon, i'm sick of this balancing game, anything is better than looking at 20 props and a magnetic balancer. It'll make a grown man cry