Newcomer needs help with FPV time delay

egoli

Hi all

I asked a while back about wifi time delays. That was when I was considering getting a quad. Now I have a Phantom/Hero black combination. The time delay of data from the GoPro to the ipad is 4 seconds plus. When taking stills or video this is way too long, especially in tight situations.

I am already taking stills of properties for profit by taking a picture every 5 seconds. So I don’t use a ground station. I just watch the Phantom as I manoeuvre it around. When I get home I download everything and discard all but the good ones.

I have now been asked to do a demo of the video capabilities by doing a flyby of an office complex, videoing over a hundred people waving at the quad from a large deck, before backing away across a small lake overlooked by the deck to finally reveal the entire complex. I would like to do this as soon as I get a gimbal, which my South African supplier seems not to have much interest in and also worries me.

I really need a wifi set-up that has very little time delay. What is everyone else doing? I don’t believe anyone can fly FPV with a multi second delay. And, even watching the tablet and the quad alternately doesn’t really work when one image is so far behind the other. So, I am obviously missing something here. Can anyone tell me what it is?

Also, DJI’s Zenmuse H3-2D gimbal is selling for almost as much as the Phantom itself. So, somehow, my entry level set-up, which was suppose to test the waters, is getting costly. Is there another, less expensive alternative?

Any help will be very much appreciated.

egoli

HI kilby

My GoPro sends wifi video to the ipad. How else could I see what the camera sees in real time?

Kilby

You haven't even done enough research into this technology to know about video downlinks, yet you are out doing this for profit as a "business?" Lord help us all. This is what the DJI Phantom is doing to this hobby.

That is like a traditional photographer not knowing about a flash. 101 level info.

egoli

Hey Kilby I'm already in the photography business so taking pictures from a better point of view is just a small progression. The question I asked is the result of a client asking me to take it further. I understand my lack of knowledge, that's why I am looking for advice from guys like you.

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
I use the setup CheshireCat mentioned and love it. You might consider a monitor also so you can keep an eye on the craft easily without putting goggles on and off.