Photohigher skyline rsgs

SMP

We are in the same boat. We make progress with the Skyline only to have all the settings revert, red lockups and servo centre issues. Hopefully the brushless will move into DSLR/FS+ weights and make the topic moot. Personally, I'm beyond even lamenting about the cost of these BRAND NEW (2) AV200/360s and ready to ditch them just to stop the headache.

PH are at NAB again this year.. ANyone local that could take a jittery or none functioning RSCG to them so they can show how good they are!

I really cannot believe this has not been resolved yet.

I am not sure how to do it but we could start a pole on working great, working sort of, working but rubbish to just not working.

Then send results to PH.. but I doubt they would be bothered. It really does begger belief they have not sorted this yet. I had mine working quite nice then yesterday it just threw a hissy fit and locked out. Three power down power ups and it worked. As Pete said OK for stills but rubbish for video.

I am thinking I will just have to bite the bulit and go Radian on my SJLX4

Dave

iconflyer

yes I get that...but that's not a solution because all brushless gimbals on the market are closed architecture i.e. they are fixed to a specific camera&lens combination. while I like the gimbal you are using it doesn't seem rigid enough to handle various lens combinations even with the Nex5 with which it's designed to work. I get it....in that case buy a Zenmuse right? not really because with AV200 and proper post work I get the same results with any camera I use and for a fraction of the price(I'm talking price per job here which about insurance, spareparts, maintainability...etc vs the variety of cameras/lenses that can be used on it.) So I'm trying trying to get the AV130 to function the same way so I can get on with my work until brushless gimbals are cheap and flexible enough.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
yes I get that...but that's not a solution because all brushless gimbals on the market are closed architecture i.e. they are fixed to a specific camera&lens combination. while I like the gimbal you are using it doesn't seem rigid enough to handle various lens combinations even with the Nex5 with which it's designed to work. I get it....in that case buy a Zenmuse right? not really because with AV200 and proper post work I get the same results with any camera I use and for a fraction of the price(I'm talking price per job here which about insurance, spareparts, maintainability...etc vs the variety of cameras/lenses that can be used on it.) So I'm trying trying to get the AV130 to function the same way so I can get on with my work until brushless gimbals are cheap and flexible enough.

Actually they're not fixed to any given configuration, right now they have a maximum weight carrying capability but within that limit you can put virtually anything you want on it and tune it to work properly in a matter of minutes unlike the uncounted hours of my life I've lost trying to make an AV130/RSGS work as well.

I've flown both of the brushless I have less than a half dozen times, considering that I flew the 130/RSGS many, many dozens of times without reaching a satisfactory setup and the brushless are both producing video that doesn't need ANY post process stabilization I'd call that a solution that works. Yes the technology is just below bleeding edge at the moment but the success so many people are having with what amounts to beta hardware and software tells me the day of servo driven gimbals being the best option is over. DSLR capable brushless gimbals are being developed right now and I suspect it will be no more than 6 months before an inexpensive and commercially viable unit is available.

On the other hand if you want a true unlimited capability gimbal that is suited to commercial work and cost is not a major consideration you could always go with this... http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?10555-FreeFly-s-direct-drive-gimbal

Ken

P.S. I'll sell the AV130 V2 with RSGS plus the original external pots for a very reasonable price if anyone is interested. I'll be keeping the non-RSGS AV130 I have for shooting stills, the other I will not use again.

Last edited by a moderator:

iconflyer

Thanks for the clarification Ken...I'm totally with you but the point is I have the AV130 and AV200...AV200 works ok but I agree was never perfect. My thought is since I have it I better use it plus when the brushless systems are readily available I can always use these as a remote pan/tilt/roll head for ground applications...same thing with the AV200. Just trying to get the AV130 to work since I just bought it :(

Off topic but how much weight can your brushless gimbal handle at the moment?

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Thanks for the clarification Ken...I'm totally with you but the point is I have the AV130 and AV200...AV200 works ok but I agree was never perfect. My thought is since I have it I better use it plus when the brushless systems are readily available I can always use these as a remote pan/tilt/roll head for ground applications...same thing with the AV200. Just trying to get the AV130 to work since I just bought it :(

Off topic but how much weight can your brushless gimbal handle at the moment?

I don't know the max spec off the top of my head but it has no problem with a Nex 5n and the 18 - 55mm lens. I suspect anything that fits on the platform and can be properly balanced will work, the balance being a critical factor and the size of the platform being the major limiting factor for this gimbal. Good to see a number of motor manufacturers have already begun building gimbal specific motors, now the control board has to catch up, current versions don't have enough current capacity to handle large motors/weights just yet.

Ken

... is not far away! I currently have a brushless on my Cinestar that does a superb job with my Nex 5n

Ken, please can you post which BL gimbal you're using on your CS? I've also been battling with the Skyline and AV130 for a while now on my CS6 and have achieved only poor results despite many hours of effort :( So am looking for an alternative setup.
Thanks,
Darren

iconflyer

Hey, anyone notice the apparently super important point in the gains adjustment video about jitters in different directions? Apparently if it jitters in one direction more than the other the center tunes are off...anyone tried playing around with that?

On a separate note, I played around with the gains on my AV130 and now I'm able to get the same performance as I was from the AV200...basically just "ok", hold level realy well but still jitters a little during flight...with 10% on Mercalli I get a perfect zenmuse(or Movi) steadicam output...a bit more work but still doesn't cost as much. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying anything positive or negative here...just simply saying there is hope of making things work.

jappie911

Glad to see a possitive comment, and someone who is still trying..

We all are aware off the problems, and that there are better systems we know.. but;

I also still work with the Skyline and av200, and get with an PJ780 (cx730 like) camera really nice results..

The biggest problem is still the horizon.. I put my roll on a poti now, but these makes a bit to big steps in left, right.

Although:
When I am seeing all the video's from the new BL gimbals, and sometimes even the Zenmuse, I sometimes see a horizon which is not perfect !

Really strange that this is a problem with all the latest technn, gyro's etc..

Anyway.. Just want to say I still work with it, I don't think I would invest the amount of money again in PH, but I hope to get this Thread going with setup tips, etc,

Hi,

horizon conservation is a problem for all system that arn't not used in cunjunction with magnetometer and GPS.
The most advanced systems use GPS to correct the drift in case of linear acceleration. magnetometer for angular rotations.
picklock V2, skyline, radians don't have these options, that's why in some circumstance you can loose a little bit the horizon.

aleonger

hi there, im new in this forum. i have just bought a skyline rsgs v 1.2.2 , can someone please send me the link or the file of the v 1.7b firmware, software and drivers?
thanks a lot
Ale