Phobotic Centerpiece Brushless Gimbal Controller

jfro

Aerial Fun
Andrew or SleepyC, what size gimbal motor are you using for the gh4 sized gimbal ?

I've only flown my gh3/gh4 with light lens.. To test mine with heavier camera, I'd have to try with my 5d and a heavier lens. Guess I could try that sometime to see if I run into the same issue.

Hexacrafter

Manufacturer
The hexacrafter G2-V2 was designed specifically for the Phobotic controller. It uses a 8108 motor on yaw. This is true for both the Nex & GH4 versions. The gimbal is very commerical grade in design to handle the abuses of the users we service. It weighs 1390 grams without battery or camera. We are also currently testing a RED version with 8017 motors on all axis. this gimbal is behaving exactly the same as the GH4 Version in that yaw auto tune is underpowered and recovery happens with slight yaw movements.
We tested the GH4 version with the 6208 motors. It would autotune and would also hold yaw without going into recovery, but the motor power was at 50+ and the motors would get hot and buzz.
We over engineer all of our products as this is the product standard our clients require....rugged commerical grade... We prefer the larger 80 series motors for yaw with direct drive. Our pervious G1 AM gimbal was indirect drive with a 3/8" Main yaw shaft. In our business size and engineered strength is a must. I believe Kloner posted a photo of the gimbal earlier in this tread. His testing of the gimbal has been on hold until we get the issues mentioned above investigated and resolved.
We honestly did not feel it would take this long, but are working diligently with Phobotic to get all perfected. When it is, the official release will happen.
Thanks,
Andrew

jfro

Aerial Fun
Sorry for dumb questions, but I'm not an engineer. Just seat of the pants stuff.

On the 6208, did it matter what size battery or if you were using the CP or the CPHV?

I have a handheld DIY with the 8017 on yaw. Maybe I'll give that a try in the air with CP.

I only have the CP, so am constrained to 3s batteries as far as I know. I never received the power conditioner, but not sure that would make a difference in this anyway.

Andrew, on the 6208, when you say it gets hot and buzzes, is this after easy gliding /flying or is this hard car chase type flying in big winds? I don't fly longer than 10-15 minutes and usually look at footage before I go up again. I'm sure others drive em harder, so maybe that's a reason why I'm having pretty good luck. It also seldom get's hotter than 90 around here.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Roee,

I appreciate your posts. Obviously the mechanics of the gimbal (as well as balanced camera) are paramount, and I will go out on a limb here and trust that no one on THIS forum believes they are not the key to successful tuning. :)

I think the distinction to be made here is NOT that the CP doesn't work at all, but that it may not be working for me, despite my efforts to eliminate variables that may be contributing to mechanical issues. But that doesn't mean I'm going to stop trying.

From my last post, (and our email correspondence), I hope it's clear that I am continuing to methodically try tweaks to resolve the issue I'm having. Each new attempt checks one thing off the list - and I trust that I will eventually stumble on the right answer(s).

I think you can probably understand (better than anyone) how the frustration levels can end up being vented on forums - but I can assure you that after a little steam letting, work begins again in earnest. No one here seems to be complaining about not getting their $150 gopro gimbal (with the family dog hanging off the side) working. We are giving our best shot with the best gear we can afford. Also, personally I am on this forum because of its lack of trolling and unsubstantial drivel that can be seen on another popular thread elsewhere :)

I'm glad the dialog has picked up here on MRF, I truly believe it can contribute to the the understanding and experience that will help all those who need it.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Progress!

Removed the bearing mechanism from the 3rd axis and mounted the Yaw motor directly to my Vulcan QR plate - no dampener plate at all. I did use some hard neoprene washers between the motor and the plate. Finished auto-tune first shot. Not sure of the values yet, and whether they look decent enough (pitch and roll were about the same as when I had it 2-axis only). Still messing with some things but I will plug the values into the google doc and get that started!

Onward....

Mactadpole

Progress!

Removed the bearing mechanism from the 3rd axis and mounted the Yaw motor directly to my Vulcan QR plate - no dampener plate at all. I did use some hard neoprene washers between the motor and the plate. Finished auto-tune first shot. Not sure of the values yet, and whether they look decent enough (pitch and roll were about the same as when I had it 2-axis only). Still messing with some things but I will plug the values into the google doc and get that started!

Onward....

Congrats and Thank you for adding your data!!! May your luck continue.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Thanks man. I'll keep checking these things off the list - I can feel success right around the corner! :)

Of course then I have to wait for the snow to melt a little - 12+" predicted tonight and tomorrow.....

SamaraMedia

Progress!

Onward....

Great news Scott! I'm just starting to tinker with my Quadframe V2 with 3rd axis and was trying to figure a way to make a QR mount for my gimbal. I too think that the dampening of the V4 mount is too soft and could be causing the yaw issues many have spoken of. Would you be able to post a photo of your gimbal setup? How are you powering your CP, separate battery or off PDB?

Thanks,

John

Actually the TP1000 always worked very well with the CP. Matt, who took this video, has two of them and they're both great without any modifications upgrading from Alexmos to the CP (other than removing some damping layers). Something about its structure and materials is quite right, it appears.
The smaller gimbals that Gary developed later (TP100, TP200, TP300) were built from the ground up using the CP, but not the bigger stuff.

Just a result of very aggressive autotuning. Without a sufficiently stable base to work against, yaw performance won't be as good as we want. It's a simple physics thing - for every force the motor uses to rotate the gimbal, an equal opposite force operates on the damping plate.

Cameraj

But the strange part is the z15 zenmuse has softer mounts and many Co are using softer compression mounts and I've seen great results.
Samur, what style of mount have you found to work with the CP?

We have seen systems working with soft dampers, it might work in some cases. We don't enough data to pinpoint the cause (motors/mechanical construction/damping plate design/whatever else).

In most cases the solution is to reduce "Damping P" on the roll axis until the buzzing goes away. Some gimbals might need adjustment on the yaw too, but for most, a reduction on the roll is enough.