Panasonic GH2 general and hack info base

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Hmmm, velly interlesting. But like you say, wouldn't want to give up the OIS without a fight.

At the moment I am doing everything at 720p50/60 but if I do get a Zenmuse there will be a bunch of issues to overcome. Difficult to organise a separate monitor cam but the built in HDMI will switch the GH2 back to 1080 but then, if the GH2 doesn't like its own lens ... er ... dammit.

Prendi

Hey Guys,

I registered here just to reply to this thread. It's pretty much the only place that addresses the issue regarding HDMI converters and the GH2. I also bought one of these (http://www.gametekh.co.uk/products/Lenkeng-LKV381-HDMI-to-Composite-{47}-S%2dVideo-Converter.html) and after reading this thread, got a little bit concerned that it wouldn't work. There's good news and bad news. After watching Vojec's video I figured out the HDMI converter seems to only work when the GH2 is switched to NTSC in "video out" mode. I also get a blue screen in PAL, but when it's switched to NTSC, bingo, it works! I'm not sure what the reason is, but it could be one of a few. Either it's an issue with the converter (most likely), or the GH2 outputs a different HDMI signal in PAL (hmm, not likely), or the hack, which I have set onto PAL settings, is somehow interfering with the HDMI signal. The last option could be possible, but seeing as I get a clean signal on a TV screen, I don't see how that could be the case.

I'm now ordering this (http://clearvisionsystems.co.uk/sho...rters/Mini-HDMI-to-AV-Converter/prod_874.html) as recommended by Mombasaflash. Mombasaflash, does this work in PAL with the hack? How are you powering it? I am running a cablecam, so I don't need to make it super lightweight, I just need to use some sort of USB power. Anyone know where to purchase a USB battery?

Thanks, Prendi

Jem

Hi
I've been using the MINI HDMI12AV for a few months. Got mine from goodluckbuy for about the same price. Works fine with my GH2 and GOPRO in PAL. Works with all the standard settings on the GH2 v1.1. I'm powering it with the USB cable with a Y lead from one of the gimbal outputs from my WKM as it needs 5V. Here's a wiring diagram for the USB. http://pinouts.ru/Slots/USB_pinout.shtml
Cheers,
Jem

Hey Guys,

I registered here just to reply to this thread. It's pretty much the only place that addresses the issue regarding HDMI converters and the GH2. I also bought one of these (http://www.gametekh.co.uk/products/Lenkeng-LKV381-HDMI-to-Composite-%7B47%7D-S%252dVideo-Converter.html) and after reading this thread, got a little bit concerned that it wouldn't work. There's good news and bad news. After watching Vojec's video I figured out the HDMI converter seems to only work when the GH2 is switched to NTSC in "video out" mode. I also get a blue screen in PAL, but when it's switched to NTSC, bingo, it works! I'm not sure what the reason is, but it could be one of a few. Either it's an issue with the converter (most likely), or the GH2 outputs a different HDMI signal in PAL (hmm, not likely), or the hack, which I have set onto PAL settings, is somehow interfering with the HDMI signal. The last option could be possible, but seeing as I get a clean signal on a TV screen, I don't see how that could be the case.

I'm now ordering this (http://clearvisionsystems.co.uk/sho...rters/Mini-HDMI-to-AV-Converter/prod_874.html) as recommended by Mombasaflash. Mombasaflash, does this work in PAL with the hack? How are you powering it? I am running a cablecam, so I don't need to make it super lightweight, I just need to use some sort of USB power. Anyone know where to purchase a USB battery?

Thanks, Prendi

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
... I figured out the HDMI converter seems to only work when the GH2 is switched to NTSC in "video out" mode. I also get a blue screen in PAL, but when it's switched to NTSC, bingo, it works! I'm not sure what the reason is, but it could be one of a few. Either it's an issue with the converter (most likely)...

I'm now ordering this (http://clearvisionsystems.co.uk/sho...rters/Mini-HDMI-to-AV-Converter/prod_874.html) as recommended by Mombasaflash. Mombasaflash, does this work in PAL with the hack? How are you powering it? ...

It is presumably an issue with that particular type of converter. All the time I was having a blue screen others were saying it worked fine. Now we know why. The 'others' were likely using NTSC.

Anyway, the mini converter works fine with PAL. As for power, most us are modifying it and feeding it with a hardwired 5v volt supply and apparently some are powering it direct from the camera's HDMI output - although that may be only with the Nex 5. I have never come across a 'USB battery' but again, depending on your camera you may be able to use the camera's USB to power it and avoid a battery altogether.

Prendi

Hey Guys, Thanks for getting back to me. So I've ordered this to power the USB port (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150804112571?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649). I guess for the heli guys this would be too heavy, but for a cable cam I think it will work just fine. What do you think?

MombasaFlash, after reading through some pages on Person View, it seems that the there is no way to even record 720 50p when the HDMI is connected. Is this correct or have you found a work around? The only record option is 1080 50i right? Kinda sucks seeing as the sensor actually records 50p and then wraps the file with interlacing. It's all *** about tit. So what's your workflow? Conform in After Effects? Sheesh, it's like going back in time, I haven't worked with interlaced for 5 years...

Macsgrafs

Hey Guys,

but seeing as I get a clean signal on a TV screen, I don't see how that could be the case.

Thanks, Prendi

If you're getting a signal out of the HDMI onto a TV, then its not the cam at fault, but the NTSC HDMI convertor....search for a PAL version.

Ross

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Hey Guys, Thanks for getting back to me. So I've ordered this to power the USB port ... it seems that the there is no way to even record 720 50p when the HDMI is connected...

Neat battery solution. After struggling with the HDMI feed, and finally resolving it with the little plastic cased Mini Converter, I too was dismayed to discover that when set to record at 720p50 the GH2 reverts automatically to 1080i50 when an HDMI cable is connected. It doesn't even have to be connected to anything else. Just the act of inserting the mini-HDMI connector switches the record setting.

There is no other option than to use a separate monitor camera if you want to stay at 720p50. All the effort of getting the video downlink working with the HDMI output was for nothing. I do NOT like using a separate camera, because of framing issues of course but mostly because there is no visual confirmation on the ground that the camera is not having a problem - like flat battery or software crash ...

However, the separate camera solution has been livable with so far.

There is an option in the hacks to convert the interlaced 1080i50 to 1080p25 but it is not a fully tested feature. Generally speaking, the 1080 format is shakey on the GH2 and it is very picky about when it will work and when it won't. Certain SD cards work, certain ones don't ... certain lenses work, certain ones don't.

Having said that, the 1080p24 option seems to be more reliable and there are those who maintain that the camera's best results are obtained when set to 1080p24

If you're getting a signal out of the HDMI onto a TV, then its not the cam at fault, but the NTSC HDMI convertor....search for a PAL version.

Ross - the metal cased converter was mostly at fault, but not entirely. And BTW, it IS a switchable PAL/NTSC device. I had precisely the same stupid stuff going on where it would play through a TV and direct into the monitor, but not via the downlink Tx. Having said that, it was ONLY the Panasonic GH2 that had these problems with that particular HDMI converter. The Canon 5D and Sony Nex 5n* worked just fine.

* although the Nex has a problem with the gentLED SHUTTER i/r remote when the HDMI port is used that prevents auto-focus being used - unless you use the gentLED liveVIEW, in which case the auto-focus DOES work !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All Bloody ridiculous isn't it?

Macsgrafs

MF, why isn't there one camera suits all ;)
My canon 40D is the same, so I use a DX201 mounted on the front lip of the AV200.....haven't flown her yet, WX here in UK is terrible!

Ross

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
MF, why isn't there one camera suits all ;)
My canon 40D is the same, so I use a DX201 mounted on the front lip of the AV200.....haven't flown her yet, WX here in UK is terrible!

Ross

Why indeed!

The fact that our particular group of customers has one or two slightly less than standard requirements does not change the reality that every single consumer camera out there has something really stupid about it, either in what it has or what it does not have. Regardless of the end-user.

I can accept manufacturers needing to cater to the 'technically challenged' by keeping their cameras simple, in order to keep After Sales costs down, but it would be really nice if they could all offer a 'pro' version in their consumer ranges. Real 'Pro' cameras have the features one needs, without too much distracting glitter, but are invariably too big and heavy.

Weather in France is abysmal. JC Almighty, what I absolutely abhor about winter in Europe is the massive waste of time.

Prendi

Thanks for all the info guys. This is a really stupid design restriction on Panasonic's behalf, it's for sure not a mistake!

I'm really not keen on using a separate FPV camera, so I will stick with 50i and then interpolate the interlaced footage in After Effects for 50p to get slow mo's. There are some guys over on dvxuser saying that this actually gives you true 1080 50p due to the sensor actually recording 50p and then giving it a 50i wrapper. Of course, no one really knows apart from the Panny guys.

Cheers, Prendi

Macsgrafs

Why indeed!

The fact that our particular group of customers has one or two slightly less than standard requirements does not change the reality that every single consumer camera out there has something really stupid about it, either in what it has or what it does not have. Regardless of the end-user.

I can accept manufacturers needing to cater to the 'technically challenged' by keeping their cameras simple, in order to keep After Sales costs down, but it would be really nice if they could all offer a 'pro' version in their consumer ranges. Real 'Pro' cameras have the features one needs, without too much distracting glitter, but are invariably too big and heavy.

Weather in France is abysmal. JC Almighty, what I absolutely abhor about winter in Europe is the massive waste of time.

I'm sure they make them like this on purpose! They build in problems, so the camera is never quite right...if it was right, we would never buy another camera...welcome to the world of consumerism!!!
They can make an ever lasting light bulb, but whats the point...once everyone had these bulbs, then all lightbulb businesses would be out of business.

The European weather in winter is ineed a waste of time....you might get one good flying day out of 10!!!

Ross

Trnquill

You have a point there Macsgrafs, but that's not always the case. Even if my GH2 had fantastic HDMI live out and was able to record in 720p50 while outputting HDMI at the same time I would STILL buy GH3 for 1080p60... :) And you can actually buy light bulbs that last "for a lifetime" already, look at the specs of "energy saving" bulbs or better still, LED light bulbs. And yet someone manages to invent something new for example by integrating wifi remote controlling to a LED light bulb -> you're in the store throwing out your cash once again. :D

Macsgrafs

You have a point there Macsgrafs, but that's not always the case. Even if my GH2 had fantastic HDMI live out and was able to record in 720p50 while outputting HDMI at the same time I would STILL buy GH3 for 1080p60... :) And you can actually buy light bulbs that last "for a lifetime" already, look at the specs of "energy saving" bulbs or better still, LED light bulbs. And yet someone manages to invent something new for example by integrating wifi remote controlling to a LED light bulb -> you're in the store throwing out your cash once again. :D

Energy saving light bulbs...the biggest con on the market! They have enough mercury to coat the tip of a ball point pen...doesn't sound much, but the government tell you how to dispose of one should you break it...the procedure is chemical warfare disposal!!!!! Sav energy, but poison your family! So imagine mercury (amalgm) fillings, they have far more than the tip of a ball point pens worth of mercury, but we put that in our mouths!

Skyhook

Hi guys, especially Mombasa and yeehaanow, sorry for my long radio silence after all your advice on this hacking lark. I've had a ridiculous sequence of delays with my MR build, so I've had to bust myself with other areas of life.

That and the faffing to get Parallels to work on my mac - enough to fill a bath tub - just to be able to use ptools! Finally nailed it the other day, and this evening I have eventually removed my mental block with how all this works. Tim i'm not at the point of slapping myself yet over it being so easy, but I think i finally understand.

I've downloaded a mixed bag of hacks to try - Flowmotion v2.02, Quantum 100, and Tim your recommendation the Sedna 4 / SanityA Q40 combo. I'm not sure if these are the most recent interations, but I can only read so much of the personalview website before I have to escape with only a mild headache.
I've seen that Apopcalypse Now has an amazing amount to offer, but there are so many versions, I have no idea where to start.

Completion of my MR is nigh, so I will be able to shoot some tests in the next week I hope.
Is it still the case that PAL 50p is only possible at 720, Mombasa? Has anyone cracked 50p at 1080, or is that never gonna happen?

thanks again

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Is it still the case that PAL 50p is only possible at 720, Mombasa? Has anyone cracked 50p at 1080, or is that never gonna happen?

Dunno. Haven't been keeping up with the latest news so I do not know if there is a reliable 1080p50 hack out or not. For the time being I am satisfied with the 720p50. The GH2 image is that good that you can up-rez 720 to 1080 and it still looks better than anything else! The main problem is with the live monitoring and the auto switch to 1080i50 if the HDMI output is used.

There is an option in one (or some or all?) of the hacks to make the camera record 1080p25 instead of i50 but I don't really see what advantage that offers as they are one and the same when dropped on a 25fps timeline.

I just picked up a GH2 (w/14-42 lens) for a shoot down in Baja. I have a few questions so I can get everything I need ordered by early next week.

1. EDIT: I jsut realized I use an HDMI-HDMI for first run and should be easy to customize the harness for the second to the TX. Can someone give me the some details of what I should get for the cable run from the camera HDMI out to hdmi2AV converter? Also, are you guys making your own AV cables for the run from the converter to the Tx. I usually make some sort of adapter via a servo plug to change cameras.

2. Will I need to get a high speed 95mb/s card?

3. Which camera trigger should I get? (I did just order a gentwire-focus 018b, but if anyone has suggestions otherwise, I'll cancel the order or if anyone has a used one for sale)

4. If I get the 14-42mm vario x OIS lens, it there a remote available to control it?

Then there is the question of which hack, but I see some good info already posted, so will give them a try.

Last edited by a moderator:

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
I just picked up a GH2...

There are short, angled miniHDMI to HDMI cables available. I found them on eBay.
There is a brief mention on connectors and cabling for the HDMI converter HERE and there are more detailed instructions somewhere with pics of the opened converter box. Good luck finding that. It might be in the Sony NEX-5 downlink thread.

I looked for it for you. HERE.

The 95mb/s card is supposed to be the only one that works with the fast and aggressive hacks. Personally, I have found that it crashes every time I try to record 1080 with a "Card not fast enough" error message !?? But it records 720p50 all day.

Cross fingers and take your pick with hacks. I don't know enough about them all. I chose Sanity5 on recommendation because I was looking for a low-level, ultra reliable hack. It works and has not let me down unexpectedly. Don't know how it matches up against the others. It will record 1080 or 720 to a regular class 10 SDHC.

The gentwire-FOCUS works. It will activate either shutter for photos or record for video depending upon how the camera is set. You cannot select between photo and video remotely. You have to physically change the camera setting dial.

Are you referring to the 'slim' 14-42 OIS zoom with the motorised zoom or the standard 14-42 kit zoom? If you find a remote for the motorised zoom one - let me know!

OK, I feel like a complete idiot now. I should know better than to try to use new equipment for a shoot that is a week away. I have been getting a GH2 ready for a shoot next week and first realized the standard HDMI wire does not fit. Tabb is saving me on that one and sending an HDMI 90 degree wire.

Now, I just received what I thought was going to be a 018b gentWIRE-FOCUS for the camera, but it must have been late at night and I ordered the camera trigger from Quadrocopter for the GH2 which I think is actually only for the MK system and not for use through a standard Rx. This one. So I am 3 days away from leaving and without a trigger.

Who wants to sell me their 018b gentWIRE-FOCUS Panasonic DMC-GH1, DMC-GH2 ?. I'll cover the cost for you to order a new one. I do have an email out to Gentles Limited to see if they can ship 2 day international, but it will probably cost me the price of the wire.

I did get the HDMI converter working and is sending video to my monitor. Luckily this job is being shot all in 720p since it is all for web content. (keep an eye on the Monsterenergy.com website next week). I am still deciding on which hack to use. Who suggests one for 720p shooting fast moving trucks and probably a bit of panning?

Thanks