New GoPro Tilt and roll gimbal

Nope, I was in a rush and forgot to turn on the GoPro. I must be feeling a little camera shy today.

I'd love to see the on-board footage as well. That will tell a better story about how it works. Looks great so far though. I've been looking for a good 2 axis gopro gimbal.

plingboot

here are a couple of pics detailing the droidworx landing gear dimensions and a rail mounting plate.

the plate is a copy of the battery plate.

the rail holes are larger than the actual rails as, in use, they are fitted with rubber grommets.

---
View attachment 3061View attachment 3062

Attachments

• droidworx_landing_gear.jpg
    droidworx_landing_gear.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 290
  • droidworx_battery_plate.jpg
    droidworx_battery_plate.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 264

Aeroxcraft

here are a couple of pics detailing the droidworx landing gear dimensions and a rail mounting plate.

the plate is a copy of the battery plate.

the rail holes are larger than the actual rails as, in use, they are fitted with rubber grommets.

---
What's the clearance from the top of the rail to the bottom of the hexa?

We can definitely make you an adapter. Let me know the clearance and I'll send you a sketch.

Aeroxcraft

I'd love to see the on-board footage as well. That will tell a better story about how it works. Looks great so far though. I've been looking for a good 2 axis gopro gimbal.
I'm hoping to go out and do some video tomorrow, the weather forecast is looking good. (fingers crossed!)

plingboot

it's 20mm from centre of the rail to the base of the main plates, but i'd say don't go much more than 15mm as there are m3 nylon nuts sticking out in various places…

Aeroxcraft

Do you plan on making a gimbal for DSLR's

Hi, Yes we are planning to. There's been a lot of demand for the GoPro Gimbals so we've been concentrating our efforts on production. There's the Quad to be released this week, there's a hexa on the drawing board and then a larger gimbal for the DSLR. Also a small gimbal for compact cameras is planned.

rcmike

I got home early from work today and my gimbal was here. :tennis: Hopefully I will have a chance to put it together later and figure out if I can stuff it under my F450 with landing gear extensions.

rcmike

It got it all together. I thought it was going to be flimsy when I first looked at the pieces but once you get everything together it is very rigid. Now I just need to figure out how I want to mount it to my F450. The easiest place would be to just mount it to the tab sticking off of the bottom frame but I had the stock gopro mount there at first and got a lot of jello. I think since it is unsupported it kinda amplifies the vibrations there. In the middle of the frames video has always been smooth but I would have to move my Naza somewhere else since it is mounted where the bolts would come through. I also thought about making the quad where the tabs stick out of the sides to get them out of the way and making some kind of mount to stick off of the top of the frames. This would get the camera up higher and I wouldn't have to worry about hitting it when landing on an uneven surface.

How important is the center of gravity on these quads? I have read that they need to be balanced but then I have seen some that are obviously not.

rcmike

Here is mine on my F450. The landing gear extensions were a little short to get the gimbal under the quad but I made a mount out of some G10 I had cut out with a bandsaw and sanded to shape with a belt sander. :D The CG is a little far forward though. I may try to raise the quad so I can fit it in the middle like I originally planed.
At first the roll axis on mine was really jerky and I thought I had a bad servo. I finally figured out that one of the ball links was tight. I resized it and now it is very smooth. I have only had a chance to hover it in the basement due to weather but it seems to work really well.

View attachment 3127

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331252031.446271.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331252031.446271.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 417

Aeroxcraft

Here is mine on my F450. The landing gear extensions were a little short to get the gimbal under the quad but I made a mount out of some G10 I had cut out with a bandsaw and sanded to shape with a belt sander. :D The CG is a little far forward though. I may try to raise the quad so I can fit it in the middle like I originally planed.
At first the roll axis on mine was really jerky and I thought I had a bad servo. I finally figured out that one of the ball links was tight. I resized it and now it is very smooth. I have only had a chance to hover it in the basement due to weather but it seems to work really well.

View attachment 4510
Glad to see you have managed to mount it on your quad. I'll make sure we check the ball joints in our stock as we went to great lengths to source top quality hardware for this kit. It looks like you're using a very long servo arm, if you move the ball joint in a hole or two it should give the servo an easier time of it.

rcmike

Glad to see you have managed to mount it on your quad. I'll make sure we check the ball joints in our stock as we went to great lengths to source top quality hardware for this kit. It looks like you're using a very long servo arm, if you move the ball joint in a hole or two it should give the servo an easier time of it.

I originally had it a little closer but with the Naza it didn't have enough travel to keep it level. The travel was at the maximum in the software. Now that it is smooth it has no problem moving it and the travel is just under 100%. I may have bent the link a tad when I popped it on causing it to be too tight. I had a ball from a helicopter that I roughed up a little and then chucked it in a drill and put the link on and spun it for a few seconds. That loosened it up nicely.

Aeroxcraft

Managed to do a bit of little flying yesterday and shoot some video. Cold and windy - Roll on summer!
Windy conditions, 12 mph gusts. Some high speed flying, chasing after Neil's Trex 600 Nitro but failing to keep up with it. No FPV, just pointing and guessing. Video has no post stabilisation and is the raw footage.

New sport of 'Spin n Fly' invented at the end of the session, but not recommended for several health and safety reasons!

GoPro Hero Tilt & Roll camera gimbal

Tilt & Roll servos - Futaba S3156 Digital

Aeroxcraft Quad670 multirotor
DJI Wookong M
E-flite Park 480 1020kv motors
Graupner Elektro Props - 11x5
2x ZIPPY Flightmax 4000mAh 3S1P 20C lipo batteries

Last edited by a moderator:

rcmike

Looks good. I finally found a good way to mount mine to my F450 and flew with it yesterday. It worked well but I have a problem with some jerky movement. I'm not sure if it is my servos or the Naza doing it really. I am using HS 65s so that may be the problem. I might try the 3156 since they seem to be working really well for you.

Aeroxcraft

Looks good. I finally found a good way to mount mine to my F450 and flew with it yesterday. It worked well but I have a problem with some jerky movement. I'm not sure if it is my servos or the Naza doing it really. I am using HS 65s so that may be the problem. I might try the 3156 since they seem to be working really well for you.
Yep, thats the same problem we had with the HS65. If you plug the servos into an RX to test them you'll find they work great, plug them into the DJI and they run rough and jerky. Do you have the servo plates for the S3156? If not I'll post some to you.

Last edited by a moderator:

rcmike

Good. I hate that I have to get new servos for it but I'm really glad it isn't the gimbal or the naza. I got 4 little plates that I had no clue what they were. Are these the servo plates? If so, how exactly do you mount them? If not, what are they? There is no mention of them in my manual.
View attachment 3335

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332030823.649071.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332030823.649071.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 285

Aeroxcraft

Good. I hate that I have to get new servos for it but I'm really glad it isn't the gimbal or the naza. I got 4 little plates that I had no clue what they were. Are these the servo plates? If so, how exactly do you mount them? If not, what are they? There is no mention of them in my manual.
No, they're some little spacers, they don't come in the kit any more. You need a set of these which mount the S3156 in exactly the right place. I'll get them in the post to you on Monday.
View attachment 3342

Attachments

• servo plates.jpg
    servo plates.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 155