New Camera Mount Design Advice Please

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
ben
balance the camera with the gimbal about 30 degrees nose down and that will be about the best you can expect. as it tilts farther forward the balance goes out the window. if you balance it at the level position then it goes out of balance almost immediately as you pitch slightly nose down which is where it will spend most of its time. you may have to accept it being slightly out of balance as moving it farther and farther aft makes the back of the camera swing upward as the nose goes down and then your dimensions all have to be adjusted.
having fun yet? :)
bart

jes1111

:confused: I don't doubt your experience at all, but the physics doesn't add up. If you balance the camera precisely so that its CG point is exactly in line with the tilt and roll axes then you can move it as much as you want and the "balance" won't change. Or ave I misunderstood what you're saying?

Bartman

you're right but there are a few challenges here to making everything perfect. different cameras will have different CG's. also the CG changes when you change a lens. making everything adjustable just makes it possible for things to come loose then you get the jitters in the shot. perfect cg also has the potential to get the back of the camera swinging up into the top of the mount so with these challenges it's tough to make decisions that don't adversely effect one thing in the process of helping something else.
the moral of the story is that you must balance the camera front to back on the gimbal plate but you must also have the pivot point high enough to pass laterally through the cg of the camera. if this is possible, great.

Borneoben

Wow!

Jes, Bartman Thanks for all the great feedback! Lots to think about there. I will have to have a coffee and sit down to take it all in!

Will go through each issue at a time.

This is what i love about these types of forums, Great feedback loads of information and no sillyness and name calling.
I get really tired of good threads being spoiled over on RCG.
I sincerely hope that never happens here.

Many thanks

Ben

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Just to through a googlie in here.. I bow to all the science and thousands na hundreds of thousands of hours that have gone into the collective thinking on this forum. The technologists have posted what I am sure are all the right theories.. when t comes down to it its how it all works for you. I aint no scientist or number cruncher just a hands on engineer that is used to solving problems that aint in no OM's and have caused quite a few manufacturers to scratch there heads as to why there perfectley designed foofoo valve aint working how it did in the simulations.

I have over 60 hours on my Y6 now and although my video aint perfect (due to the limitations of these platforms), my stills are.. I have never balanced my ADX3. So just went and shoved a piece of copper tube under the skids and its way nose heavy.. but aint there more thrust at the front on a Y6 so thats what would make sense to me.. I agree on the CG for the camera on the mount but I guess thats more important when the camera is close to what the servos can handle in weight terms..

Just a thought..

Borneoben

OK first issue to discuss
Servo Speed and Torque
So the higher torque the servos are the better I can understand that. If you have super high torque servos with fast reaction times then you need to make sure there is no flex in your camera mount and that the Camera is as balanced on the mount as possible and all rotational movement is around the CoG. As discussed below
Camera mount and CogG.
Admittedly my first ideas about positioning the Camera on the Gimbal was to make the Roll pivot axis run through the center of the lens so as when the camera a rolls the lens doesn’t move through an ark. I was thinking in a similar way for the pitch axis.
What I realize I need to do now is try to make the camera move about its CoG. This would make life easier for the servos as well. What I also need to do I s make sure the Camera CoG is worked out when it is mounted to the Camera base plate. The only way I think I can do this reliably is trial and error. Get the camera base plate mounted onto the camera and then physically balance it to find the CoG. I think the best way to do this is on the actual mount its self with no servos connected and somehow make all the pivot points adjustable.
The big problem is when you change something! If you change the lens on the camera it will totally throw out the CoG on the pitch axis, probably not the roll axis so much.
And even more so if you swap your SLR for a Go Pro!!
There are two solutions to this problem I can see. You make a different camera mount for each camera and lens combination. This way you would get optimum performance but it will end up costly and time consuming to design all the different mounts for all combinations possible. Or you make the camera mount adjustable. As Bartman pointed out before, as soon as you allow for adjustments you are allowing for unwanted movement and reduced stiffness.
Hmmmm will have to think about that for a while. I guess it’s all a compromise somewhere along the line.
See some updates I have done to the drawings to allow an adjust able system.

The next issue is the COG of the complete camera mount and camera as a whole. I would always assume that this COG would be best positions directly under the Center of thrust on the main airframe. The COG of the main airframe should also line up with the center of thrust.
This can easily made adjust able fore and aft and side to side so I’m not too concerned about that.

Jess please can you explain what you mean about the thrust lines on a Quad being different to that of a Y6? I’m not sure what you mean.
As mentioned before I always assumed that the center of thrust would be the center where the intersecting lines from each motor
I has also always assumed that the COG of the entire rig should also converge on the center of thrust??

SketchUp Vs Solidworks!! That’s fighting talk!:D
Yes Solid works is very powerful software and i have used it in the past but for the cost difference and the ease of use then SketchUp wins hands down. In my mind. I then use AutoCAD to prepare the 2D Drawings to send to the Laser Cutter.

Well thats about all my brain can cope for now.
I need to go have lunch!

Cheers
Ben

Attachments

• Adjustable Pivot Axis 1.jpg
    Adjustable Pivot Axis 1.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 286
  • Adjustable Pivot Axis 2.jpg
    Adjustable Pivot Axis 2.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 213

jes1111

Admittedly my first ideas about positioning the Camera on the Gimbal was to make the Roll pivot axis run through the center of the lens so as when the camera a rolls the lens doesn’t move through an ark. I was thinking in a similar way for the pitch axis.
What I realize I need to do now is try to make the camera move about its CoG. This would make life easier for the servos as well. What I also need to do I s make sure the Camera CoG is worked out when it is mounted to the Camera base plate. The only way I think I can do this reliably is trial and error. Get the camera base plate mounted onto the camera and then physically balance it to find the CoG. I think the best way to do this is on the actual mount its self with no servos connected and somehow make all the pivot points adjustable.
The big problem is when you change something! If you change the lens on the camera it will totally throw out the CoG on the pitch axis, probably not the roll axis so much.
And even more so if you swap your SLR for a Go Pro!!
There are two solutions to this problem I can see. You make a different camera mount for each camera and lens combination. This way you would get optimum performance but it will end up costly and time consuming to design all the different mounts for all combinations possible. Or you make the camera mount adjustable. As Bartman pointed out before, as soon as you allow for adjustments you are allowing for unwanted movement and reduced stiffness.
The left/right balance of the camera (roll axis) includes the entire roll axis, remember. You have the servo on the "light" side, which is absolutely ideal: the CG point of the camera is (usually) just to the left of the lens (from the front), so the servo/pulleys/belt/etc. to the right of the camera will shift the effective CG point to (hopefully) dead-centre on the lens. I agree that's desirable (and it's how my own design is set) since you don't want rotational roll compensation to introduce a translation element. By the same token, the pitch axis would ideally be pivoting the camera on a line with the film sensor, but that's inevitably some distance behind the CG point. Some compromise is necessary - I would favour optimum balance over optimum pivot positioning (because I'm mostly interested in stills, where all of this matters less), but if someone was seeking optimum video performance then a solution to that issue could be generated.

Changing lenses will indeed change the balance. The effect might be more pronounced when using a super-light plastic-bodied prosumer DSLR with a heavy lens (compared to a metal-bodied pro camera where the body is likely to be considerably heavier than the lens). I don't suppose the balance has to be spot-on perfect, but this is probably further justification for having the "torquey-est" servos you can find: having buckets of "spare" torque should enable them to "shrug off" small imbalances.

Changing cameras, especially for something as light (and horrible ;)) as a GoPro - well, are you really going to do that? In my own case I've reasoned that I won't - but if I do then I'll substitute the entire camera plate.
The next issue is the COG of the complete camera mount and camera as a whole. I would always assume that this COG would be best positions directly under the Center of thrust on the main airframe. The COG of the main airframe should also line up with the center of thrust.
This can easily made adjust able fore and aft and side to side so I’m not too concerned about that.

Jess please can you explain what you mean about the thrust lines on a Quad being different to that of a Y6? I’m not sure what you mean.
As mentioned before I always assumed that the center of thrust would be the center where the intersecting lines from each motor
I has also always assumed that the COG of the entire rig should also converge on the center of thrust??
It's the propeller plane that's important - the centre of thrust is the centre-point of a circle connecting the rotational centres of the props (on a flat layout), or the average of the two planes on a coax setup. In an ideal world, the centre of thrust should be coincident with the CG point of the entire aircraft. This would produce the lowest possible moments of inertia on each axis and therefore the most responsive behaviour. In reality some vertical (Z-axis) deviation is perfectly acceptable, but too much is bad, as previously discussed. Best advice is to keep the vertical CG point "as close as practically possible" to the centre of thrust point. Deviation on the X and Y axes should also be avoided but again it's not hyper-critical. Most craft will fly quite happily with some X/Y deviation but in doing so the work is spread unevenly between the motors - the total power consumed should remain the same but the average power consumed by each motor will be different, which could cause problematic heat/wear issues in an extreme case.
SketchUp Vs Solidworks!! That’s fighting talk!:D
Yes Solid works is very powerful software and i have used it in the past but for the cost difference and the ease of use then SketchUp wins hands down. In my mind. I then use AutoCAD to prepare the 2D Drawings to send to the Laser Cutter.
I agree - it took me a year to get up to speed with Solidworks, but now I'm glad I persisted. One of its (many) truly invaluable features is the ability to see the weight, CG and MOI of any part, sub-assembly or the entire model at the click of a mouse.

I can see a double bearing block on the roll axis of your model. Are you intending that to be a custom machined part? Misumi has such blocks in aluminium - many variations, configurable dimensions, etc. - an invaluable source for many precision parts.

You haven't drawn any mounting mechanism for the servos yet. Timing belts need to be correctly tensioned to perform within spec (slippage, backlash, etc.). Most mounts only allow for tension adjustment (and fitting/removal) by moving the servo position in slots. Personally I don't like that solution - difficult to control and it weakens the mounting rigidity of the servos. A tensioner (which can be a simple idler mounted in a slot to bear against the back of the belt) is, IMO, a much better solution. Also, you have your belt tension supported entirely by the output shaft of the servo. That will "work" but the wear rate on the servo's internals is likely to be accelerated. I'd look at ways of introducing an external bearing to take the strain.

Bartman

at the end of the day, the camera spends most of its life pointing down at about 30 degrees with stabilization sending it 5 to 10 degrees up and down most of the time. if it's all balanced at that position and you have a strong servo and ample construction to handle the other areas in the gimbal's range then you should be fine. if you design to a gnat's a$$ so the CG is perfect and the gimbal is as light as possible, then you'll probably have vibration and twisty issues so it's all for nothing.
somewhere in the middle of it all is the solution.

Borneoben

Hi Guys

Can anyone give me a link to some servo Pulleys and Belts?

Im looking for something similar to the ones used by AVerticalView.

Cant seem to find any dont want to resort to having them machined.

Cheers

Borneoben

Hi Denny

Ive looked through Servo City but cant seem to find what i need.

They have lots of other items i could use but not pulleys that would fit direct to a servo?

Most of them will clamp to a shaft but none have the splined servo input i would liek to have

Any more ideas?

Cheers

Borneoben

Hi Guys

I was a little suprised at the prices of the pulleys at ServoCity. The pulley plus the hub was $28usd plus shipping!
So i have found a different supplier.
This company has pulleys that dont require a separate hub for $7.50usd!
They are made from aluminium and are probbaly quite abit heavier though.

Check them out www.bbman.com and the pulley I want is here

Have been working on the camera mount design a bit and made a fair few detail changes

Have added adjustment on both axis so you can move teh camera up and down within the mount and also side to side. Plus you can move the whole mount back and forth on the main Airframe for CoG adjustment.

Will post up some more images in a little while.

Can some one share some links on how to modify the servo for use with an external potentiometer to get much larger movements?

Cheers

Ben

Last edited by a moderator:

Borneoben

Hi Guys

Here are the updated drawings.
I have changed teh shape of the main roll support to allow better clearance. Main roll axis bearings are still 50mm apart for good support of the camera platform.

I have made the Camera Platform adjustable up and down.

I have made the roll pivot point adjustable left to right +/- 20mm

I have made the Whole mount adjustable fore and aft 30mm +/- 15mm

I have made the drive belts adjustable tension.

I am still having trouble coming up with a suitable landing gear design!!
Any suggestions would be welcome!

Attachments

• Y6 and Camera Mount 1.jpg
    Y6 and Camera Mount 1.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 388
  • Y6 and Camera Mount 2.jpg
    Y6 and Camera Mount 2.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 354
  • Y6 and Camera Mount 3.jpg
    Y6 and Camera Mount 3.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 246
  • Y6 and Camera Mount 4.jpg
    Y6 and Camera Mount 4.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 350
  • Y6 and Camera Mount 5.jpg
    Y6 and Camera Mount 5.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 218

Borneoben

A few more pictures of the updates

Attachments

• Y6 and Camera Mount 6.jpg
    Y6 and Camera Mount 6.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 301
  • Y6 and Camera Mount 7.jpg
    Y6 and Camera Mount 7.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 260
  • Y6 and Camera Mount 8.jpg
    Y6 and Camera Mount 8.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 189
  • Y6 and Camera Mount 9.jpg
    Y6 and Camera Mount 9.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 193
  • Y6 and Camera Mount 10.jpg
    Y6 and Camera Mount 10.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 251

Borneoben

Please help me with my landing gear design!!

Its not looking too good at the moment!!

All i want is something that will keep the Rig from falling over on landing, is stable and Light!

Ben

Attachments

• Y6 and Camera Mount 11.jpg
    Y6 and Camera Mount 11.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 408
  • Y6 and Camera Mount 12.jpg
    Y6 and Camera Mount 12.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 263
  • Y6 and Camera Mount Landing Gear.jpg
    Y6 and Camera Mount Landing Gear.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 310
  • Y6 and Camera Mount landing gear 2.jpg
    Y6 and Camera Mount landing gear 2.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 231
  • Y6 and Camera Mount landing gear 3.jpg
    Y6 and Camera Mount landing gear 3.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 306

jes1111

Looking good!

For the landing gear, why not some extending off the bottom of the gimbal's upright pillar and splayed out (to avoid fouling the roll), like a duck's foot? The length can be extended with small fibreglass tubes until your confident enough to land it square every time. The ideas you've shown here are too bulky and heavy IMO. Or just three pieces of dowel extending vertically down from the arms just inboard of the props (with a ping pong or foam ball on the ends).