Multi-Impossible, Mōvi_M5/MK Build and Review

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Bart, have you flown your xy8 with the Naza V2? If so, what did you think?

With the latest hardware and firmware, how hard is it to setup an x8 with the MK FC? I have been scared away from it because of the alleged complexity. Starting to wonder if I should give it a try.

Jfro,

I have flown an XY-4 with the NAZA-M V2 and it flew great. It's still in the shop with an H3-2D gimbal and it's in use for practicing/choreographing camera moves.

An X-8 is easy to set up, I use the Okto (plain old Okto, not the later versions) mixer which has two motors at each of the corners but with an X-8 they just happen to be over the op of each other. I've modified the mixer for this build (and on a Hoverfly XY-8) so the the top motors are all turning outside in and the bottoms are inside out. For example the top right motors are both turning clockwise and the bottom right motors are both turning counter clockwise. This is to make transitions for forward flight consistent and wobble free as the forward airspeed won't change the center of lift of the overall helicopter.

Bartman

Another quick update on the progress of the helicopter part of this project, with a thunderstorm approaching I wisely decided to sneak in another test flight to test the security of the power system and motor controllers. The test was to fly a lightning resistant, ten pound, cast-iron dumbbell under the helicopter to make sure nothing overheated or failed outright. The empty weight of the helicopter is about 7 pounds, the two batteries weigh a little over 5 1/2 lbs, and the dumbbell is nominally 10 pounds for a grand total of 22.25 pounds on the digital scale.

Props for the test were all Xoar PJN 15x6 beechwood.

The helicopter hovered at about ten to twenty feet off the ground using about 75% power for 2 1/2 minutes. It had plenty of power when the throttle was advanced to full and upon landing the speed controllers were only slightly warm as were the motors. It's now raining so I won't be able to repeat the test this evening (unless it stops raining) but at this time I'm going to move ahead with mounting the Movi M5 to the helicopter and proceed with getting it airborne.

The Movi M5 should be about 4 1/2 pounds making the heli/Movi about 11.5 pounds when combined. With the batteries at 5 pounds and the GH3 w/ lens about 1 1/2 pounds the total should be about 18 pounds leaving room for larger/heavier cameras, or larger/heavier batteries, or higher altitudes/temperatures. All in all, a good combination of weight and performance to be a very flexible tool for making aerial media.

In powering up the MOvi for the first time I found myself quickly displaced by my twelve year old daughter who couldn't resist the urge to grab the Movi from me for a quick tour of the house and some close ups of the dogs.

More review segments are planned for the Movi and the combined Movi/helicopter. I'm yet to find any glaring omissions or unworkable details and am only sorry I didn't buy more of the mounting plates in order to be able to make switching cameras an even simpler and faster operation than it already is.

Bart

Bartman

The Movi M5 Review Continues!

It's been a few weeks since we've kicked off the process of bringing our Freefly Movi M5 review to life and a whole lot has been learned so far. Let's backtrack a little bit and bring everyone up to speed on where we're at. Photos courtesy of Freefly Systems.

Overall construction of the Movi M5 is excellent and it is capable of carrying cameras ranging from smaller point-and-shoot cameras up to full size DSLR's like the Canon 5D MkIII. The parts fit together very well and generally work as nicely as you'd expect them to. The manual is well written and it is obvious that a lot of effort has gone into both the descriptions and graphics making it very likely that your initial experiences will be both positive and successful.

The User Guide is very helpful and has six chapters. Chapters One, Two, and Three should be reviewed prior to receiving your Movi M5 and throughout the process of unboxing and first use of your new gimbal. The lessons learned in these chapters ought to stick well enough that you won't need them again unless you have a problem later on. The gimbal is easy enough to learn and the mechanisms intuitive enough that a little hands-on time will quickly turn you from novice to seasoned vet (veteran, not veterinarian).

Two pages worth mentioning are Page 3 which explains the operation of the included battery charger and Page 19 which outlines the steps to install and run the Freefly Configurator (GUI). (The Freefly Configurator runs perfectly via a Bluetooth connection with my Android powered Motorola Razr but it wouldn't install properly using the Next browser that I typically use. Switching to the Chrome browser resolved the problem and allowed the software to download and install properly.) You'll likely refer back to these two pages but everything else in Chapters One, Two, and Three should stick pretty well the first time through.

As you get started you'll make adjustments by loosening lever-actuated clamps so that specially designed fittings can be slid along carbon fiber tubes. There is enough action in the clamps to allow the fittings to slide easily along the tubes. Should any of the clamps eventually lose their gripping ability they can be tightened by turning the socket head bolt opposite the clamping lever.

The camera attaches to the Movi M5 via two fixed aluminum extrusions (Upper and lower, attached to the camera with screws) that slide into fittings on the gimbal. These extrusions move in and out very easily so be sure to have one hand on the camera to keep it from falling when loosening the clamps that hold it in place.

View attachment 18490

A detail not specifically addressed in Chapter Two is the likely need to reposition the side bars of the camera cage down when using smaller cameras. Smaller cameras will require you to raise their position during vertical tilt balancing (Pages 9 & 10) and this will likely cause the tops of the vertical bars to hit the Movi's upper frame when the gimbal is compensating left or right in roll. Page 8 explains how to mount the camera by adjusting the top cross-bars to match the height of the camera but to make it so that the verticals won't hit the upper frame, both the upper and lower cross-bars need to be loosened so that the left and right verticals can be slid downward to a lower position. The position of the camera relative to the tilt axis will stay the same but the verticals will be lower thus eliminating interference of the different frame parts above the camera. When switching from smaller to larger cameras this may be an additional adjustment that will have to be accommodated (reversing what you've done for the smaller camera, in my case a GH3 with a 12mm prime lens) but it is easy enough to accomplish and so it isn't a huge problem.

View attachment 18491

IMPORTANT.....there are wires running throughout the Movi M5 which will affect the balance and movement of the gimbal if they become twisted. The most noteworthy wire is the one that runs through the right side tilt pivot point to the sensors under the lower camera mount. Unpowered brushless gimbals are very happy to flip and turn on a whim as you're working on them and it's easy to lose track of this wire's condition. By letting a few twists of it go unnoticed it will interfere with your efforts to balance the tilt axis and with the stabilization of the camera. Keep it from getting twisted though and you'll be fine.

Chapter Three explains the transition from hand-held mode to multi-rotor mode (terrestrial to aerial) and it shouldn't take more than five to ten minutes to complete this process once you've done it a few times. For what it's worth, having the included stand nearby makes it a lot easier.

View attachment 18492

Moving right along to Chapter Four we get to work using the Freefly Configurator software to tune the Movi M5 for our specific combination of camera and lens. This is where Freefly's Movi gimbals really stand out....they can be used with a wide variety of camera/lens combinations and require only a relatively small amount of tuning and balancing with each change of equipment. The settings used to tune the operation of the Movi M5 are the Stiffness, Gyro Filter and Output Filter.

The Stiffness settings (Tilt, Roll, and Pan) will be used the most. As explained in the user manual, “The 'Stiffness' setting adjusts the degree to which the Movi tries to correct for unwanted camera movement. The 'Stiffness' setting needs to be set as high as possible without creating unwanted oscillations.” Increase stiffness too much and the whole gimbal assembly will vibrate so much that you'll see and hear it. Reduce the stiffness enough and the vibrations will stop. With a little practice you'll learn to tune the Movi M5 by feel using light fingertip pressure to feel when the oscillations are barely there or not there at all. I've learned to give the gimbal a tap with my finger while holding it very lightly to see if the tap causes the GCU to send out tremors (similar to a doctor hitting your knee to test for your natural reflexes). I've yet to discover what constitutes optimum tuning but I'm working on it. :)

IMPORTANT.....Freefly publishes a very helpful spreadsheet with suggested settings for some of the more common camera body/lens combinations. These settings may not be perfect for every user but they will give users a good idea if they're on the right track when getting started or when trying something new. The spreadsheet can be found HERE

'Majestic Mode' is another term you'll encounter a lot in the process of learning to tune and operate the Movi M5. Majestic Mode is available on both the Pan and Tilt axis and with it the Movi M5 will filter out smaller movements while still allowing the operator to smoothly make larger pan and tilt movements. It's a tough task for the gimbal to do this as the GCU has to accurately interpret the small movements from the larger movements and follow along without messing up your shots. It's a feature used in single operator mode and mostly when on the ground although it can also be used when airborne without a second/camera operator. Majestic Mode and related tuning are explained thoroughly on page 22 of the User Guide.

The controls provided for the second/camera operator via a standard RC transmitter can be broken up into the need-to-have and the nice-to-have. Need-to-have controls would be the mode switching channel and gimbal control channels which both work via switches and sticks on the transmitter. Nice-to-have controls include speed adjustments for the pan and tilt axis, trim adjustment for the roll axis, and a kill switch that immediately shuts down the gimbal when necessary. These controls can all be accessed by a second operator when being used on the ground or in the air.

The three position gimbal mode switch (Page 28 of the manual) does different things depending on if the gimbal is configured for ground or airborne use (Use the Movi Configurator GUI to switch between ground and airborne modes).

The first position of the switch is the Dual Operator mode and this is the same for both ground and airborne use. It enables an RC transmitter to actively control pan and/or tilt of the camera while automatically keeping the camera level in roll (Roll can be trimmed at any time using the rudder trim on the radio). The gimbal will work to maintain a fixed heading for the camera (aka Heading Lock) until it is directed to move via the Pan control (Right Tx stick left or right). In Dual Operator mode the tilt axis may or may not be controlled by the second operator and so it is possible for the gimbal to be left in Tilt Majestic Mode although this would only make sense on the ground.

The second position for the three position mode switch is Majestic Mode (on the ground) or Home Mode (in the air). Majestic Mode has already been explained but Home Mode will return the gimbal to a forward facing position to help the pilot with orientation when returning from a flight for landing.

The third position on the ground and in the air is Kill Mode which enables the operator to shut down the gimbal completely in the event of a malfunction or emergency where further gimbal movement might cause damage to the helicopter or the gimbal itself.

For the money you'd expect the experience of buying and operating a Mōvi M5 to go well with success never in doubt. In conducting this review I'm happy to say that the Mōvi M5 has lived up to expectations with a top quality manual, sensible mechanical design, software features that expand its utility beyond basic stabilization functions, excellent quality parts/fitment, and, most importantly, performance that is industry leading without an overly lengthy or technically difficult learning curve. Add to all of that that the Mōvi gimbals are already seeing aftermarket accessories being released and you're looking at a very worthwhile investment for your professional media operation. For the user that hugs the blurred pro-hobbyist boundary, the Mōvi M5 will serve you well for what will likely be years to come.

Should you encounter problems with your Movi M5 there are two pages of definitions in the User Guide (Pages 23 and 24) as well as two pages of troubleshooting guidelines (Pages 32 and 33). MultiRotorForums.com has an increasingly active group of Freefly users so also keep in mind that help may be just a forums post away. More serious problems and warranty issues can be addressed via an RMA process that begins at the Freefly website.

We will continue to post here as we continue to fly and become more familiar with the Movi M5.

Attachments

• FFSM5 cam mount.jpg
    FFSM5 cam mount.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 199
  • FFSM5 vert bal.jpg
    FFSM5 vert bal.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 211
  • FFS M5 as MR.jpg
    FFS M5 as MR.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 208
Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

Thanks Steve, it isn't the usual RC product review but the information is in there and the results are great so far!

Bart

Bartman

I'm always very happy to give credit where it's due. Considering I'm completely new to the product and that I got it (mostly) up and running in the course of a week long build, I'd say that they earned whatever credit we can give them.

It's interesting that they've incorporated operating modes that wouldn't come from ordinary aerial gimbal users and that they must have had a lot of input from pro camera operators to develop these features. For me, as an aerial media guy, the Movi ups my game by providing modes that will make me a better ground based user which is something no other gimbal really offered before.

What can I say? I'm impressed!

Bartman

The product speaks for itself.

I'm soon going to be $5000 worse off :)

Sorry!....but in a good way.

I've finally been instructed as to how to make the letter o with a line over it so all future Movi's will be Mōvi's! :) :)

jfro

Aerial Fun
Bart. In the last 6 weeks or so, you have used your landing gears, built and used some RC Timer Retracts on a Hex, and now have this build going with the Freefly 3 legged landing gear that turns with the 3rd axis on the gimbal.

I'd be interested to hear your opinion on the pros and cons of what you have seen/learned so far between the 2 type of landing gears. I'm going to pull the trigger for a 3rd axis on my x8 which is almost 18 lbs with 2 axis. gimbal. Trying to decide between Freefly type gear with 3 legs or retracts...

I know zilch about retracts, so forgive this possibly dumb questions, but do you think the RC Timer retracts would hold up carrying 22 lbs?

ps. Now that I think about it, I probably won't have a choice. Bottom props would probably hit the cinestar type legs on the 3 pronged legs? More stuff to figure out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

Bart. In the last 6 weeks or so, you have used your landing gears, built and used some RC Timer Retracts on a Hex, and now have this build going with the Freefly 3 legged landing gear that turns with the 3rd axis on the gimbal.

I'd be interested to hear your opinion on the pros and cons of what you have seen/learned so far between the 2 type of landing gears. I'm going to pull the trigger for a 3rd axis on my x8 which is almost 18 lbs with 2 axis. gimbal. Trying to decide between Freefly type gear with 3 legs or retracts...

I know zilch about retracts, so forgive this possibly dumb questions, but do you think the RC Timer retracts would hold up carrying 22 lbs?

ps. Now that I think about it, I probably won't have a choice. Bottom props would probably hit the cinestar type legs on the 3 pronged legs? More stuff to figure out.

and here I am thinking nobody's paying attention!

the RCtimer retracts seem ok but I haven't even retracted them yet during a flight since the DJI gimbal was DOA. The Hexacopter they're on is about 18 pounds so 22 ought to be fine.

my bent aluminum tube gear is about 75 grams with the mounting brackets and it's breaking my heart that I can't continue to use them! they'd get in the way though with the Mōvi so they're not even in consideration here.

the Freefly landing gear kit for the Mōvi M5 checks a lot of boxes such as....reasonably priced (compared to most retracts), lightweight, strong, no power or servo channel required (that's a biggy), specifically made for the gimbal, well tested in real world use by probably thousands of Cinestar users, spare parts availability, etc.

In my mind it isn't even a choice if you're buying the Mōvi M5, get the MR gear package and don't think twice. The weight advantage is huge, the simplicity of the fixed gear is huge, the fact that the parts work and will require zero tinkering is huge...do I have to go on?

The one and only drawback is that the gear move with the gimbal which can make for a confusing image of the heli for the pilot when flying. That's not from my first hand observation, it's from speaking to others. Helping me out with my particular build is my frame design (affectionately called an XY-8) which is a rectangular shape so it's easier to stay oriented than it would be with a normal X-8, X-4 or hexa. I've been delinquent in posting more photos but there will be plenty in the next five to ten days as we'll be taking the new heli and Mōvi out for a couple of days of video shooting starting Friday.

Bartman

..............Now that I think about it, I probably won't have a choice. Bottom props would probably hit the cinestar type legs on the 3 pronged legs? More stuff to figure out.

FWIW, I've got to trim the tubes that hold the landing gear to the Mōvi as I am very close to having prop interference issues. I'm going to cut off an inch and then I'll also be able to use shorter standoffs under the helicopter bringing the gimbal and heli another .5" closer together. I'm concerned that if I had to make a very sudden movement of the helicopter I could lose the gimbal if the standoffs snapped. My mount is totally custom so a standard Mōvi/Cinestar heli wouldn't have this issue.

Bart

SMP

Good to see you here mate, you were instrumental in getting our Legacy gimbal up and working phenomenally well. Will be interesting to see how the Movi stacks up against the Legacy!

SMP

MrT, have our legacy working well handheld but haven't attached to aerial yet. We are considering Movi. Did you ever try/succeed legacy aerial. Don't want to waste time trying if Movi is the answer and will keep legacy handheld.

Mrtarango32

MrT, have our legacy working well handheld but haven't attached to aerial yet. We are considering Movi. Did you ever try/succeed legacy aerial. Don't want to waste time trying if Movi is the answer and will keep legacy handheld.

Smp, I haven't yet. But it has been a great handheld. I have been caught up with all the plug and play zenmuse Z-15 but also have been eyeing the movi m5. Perfect for a 5d/and now the new gh4.
I have upgraded my legacy to a 32bit controller but haven't had time to add the second imu. But it's working quite nicely.

Sorry for getting this thread off track.
But would love to see some pics. And of video of it flying.