New guy needs help

grahng

Never have done RC before but have always wanted to. Have a couple of quick questions please.
First of all, this Hobby seems just a little addictive....right?
I believe I want to start with a Phantom2. Right now, I just want to get out and fly. If I do go with the Phantom 2, will I be able to add a gimbal and camera later?
Are the Phantom 2, the vision and vision + the same spec machine except for the camera and etc.

Thanks,
Jerry

jbrumberg

Welcome Jerry. It's not a little addictive at all. Are you married? Do you have a significant other? Do you own your own home? Do you have experience selling your blood? Just a couple of questions experienced owner/operators might be asking you later when they return from blood draws, prostituting, panhandling, and metal detecting.

It may be in your best interests to start with a smaller "trainer" quad as a gateway drug to get some practice flying and learn flight orientation because you will crash a lot in the beginning of your learning curve and break stuff which can get expensive.

Good luck.:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Macdoogal

Jerry,

Welcome, I am also new to the Multi rotor RC world. I started out with a DJI phantom 1.1.1 and I think it's actually a better bet than the P2. I've done quite a bit of reading on the Phantom 1 and here's what I've learned. The Phantom 2 is great but it's just an upgraded version of the 1. The latest P1 has many of the same features that the P2 has but it's cheaper. So you can leave off some of the more questionable revenue generators on JB's list above. On the P1 you can attach a gimbal, and, you don't have to go with the Zenmuse. Do your homework though. That alone will save you some cash. The batteries are about half the cost of the batteries on the P2 and you can buy some aftermarket because, unlike the P2, it uses a common connector, but you get a little less flight time. The controller in it(Naza V2) has the connection for controlling the tilt on the gimbal and the P1 unit is FPV ready. Again, do your homework. I've really enjoyed flying mine and, as I said in my own self introduction, I've already ordered the gimbal and FPV system. I'm no authority, but I'll offer any morsels of insight I have.

MacDoogal