FPV Turns make me crazy (including raising heartbeat)

DesJardins

Hook & Loop is just another name for Velcro. I don't think there is anything special about that stuff, so any velcro should work.
Correct there isn't anything necessarily special... This is what I used and had from my 450Pro.
It is better than most "Velcro" I have ever used though as far as how well the Velcro connects.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Interesting thread guys. I'd like to ask you what you think about a yaw control feature I've been thinking of creating for just this reason. Basically I want the copter to "weathervane" automatically. Basically, the flight controller would automatically yaw the copter so that it is facing into the direction it is flying. So, you would fly around holding forward stick to move forward, and then to turn, you just feed in some roll. Basically, the copter will fly very much like an airplane. The pilot could still input some yaw stick to lead a turn if they wanted. A major benefit is that you'd always be looking in the direction you're actually moving.

You guys who fly like this, what do you think? Good idea, or stupid?

kloner

Aerial DP
If the quad was being pushed like a plane, it'd make since, but the way i see my model go by, it needs the nose as locked as possible so it stays in the sky. it's always 45 degrees. It's taking me a while to grasp the fact i'm pointing the nose to the side and trying to go forward

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
I'm having trouble understanding what you're saying, but it sounds to me that the way to fly is you "fishtail" all the corners. Keep the nose down, creating forward thrust. Kick the tail out to send the thrust sideways. Driving like a rally car. Yeah?

This would be different. You'd steer by banking it, just like an airplane, and the view through the camera would naturally follow the direction of travel.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
How do you want to implement this in a non-open source flightcontroller?

You can't. That's why closed source sucks. I'm just thinking of putting it in Arducopter, and wondering what you guys think. For sure I would like it for helicopter flying, because flying at high speeds, you really want your tail behind you. I'd use it for waypoint flying as well.

Stacky

Mat Wellington made a v tail quad using a CC board. He made me one. It flew as you are describing, sort of like driving a rally car, stick the arse out and accelerate.

Interesting thread guys. I'd like to ask you what you think about a yaw control feature I've been thinking of creating for just this reason. Basically I want the copter to "weathervane" automatically. Basically, the flight controller would automatically yaw the copter so that it is facing into the direction it is flying. So, you would fly around holding forward stick to move forward, and then to turn, you just feed in some roll. Basically, the copter will fly very much like an airplane. The pilot could still input some yaw stick to lead a turn if they wanted. A major benefit is that you'd always be looking in the direction you're actually moving.

You guys who fly like this, what do you think? Good idea, or stupid?

kloner

Aerial DP
i'm pushing forward in atti and holding it forward, give ail bank and add tail, the yaw is the only thing that turns it around and you can lean a little or alot to deal with different winds from different angles. If i gotta turn fast i give alot of ail, like enough to stop it if i was going forward, but by the time i input it, the yaw already has my nose pointing int eh direction were flying. My guess is unless you could flat out create a rate mode tail and not have the fc making yaw when ail is touched. Can't imagine that without a physical tail to veign and even then it's sticking up 45 degrees on my rig, so a horizontal anything stabilizer would suck on a tail,,,, vert, alright, i'll watch

Jessestr

You can't. That's why closed source sucks. I'm just thinking of putting it in Arducopter, and wondering what you guys think. For sure I would like it for helicopter flying, because flying at high speeds, you really want your tail behind you. I'd use it for waypoint flying as well.

Closed source does not suck. Open Source does not suck.
No one is sucking here.. this sounds weird.

Anyways, I quit using open source software systems for multicopters because they can fail miserably and there is just too much in the game to let those things happen. Linux is open source but linux can't fall out of the sky and kill a human hehe :D.

Closed source can have these problems too, but
1. You can blame someone else if it was not your fault
2. They work mostly out of the box
3. I never saw anything working as good as the atti hold of the Naza in the same price range or lower, same for position hold. (Yes I've worked with Arducopter and such)

The only thing that I might give a spark of hope on a good open source multicopter system is openpilot. They are really testing everything.. I like that. Much bigger community and better programmers.

Sorry for the offtopic.. Nothing sucks :)

And making it feel like you are driving a race car takes the skill away from flying a multicopter in fpv.. I don't know. 50% pro .. 50% contra here.
I think I should just learn to make corners rather than waiting for a software update that leaves the skill behind to make a corner..

kloner

Aerial DP
heres some cuts form today unstabbed so you can see the whole move and what kinda turn it makes

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
you can see me over rotate the yaw alot, like falling away from itself in the slow sweepers. noticed in the superhero video i was running a gimble instead of flying half the time, thing was all out of whack, but the subject stayed in the viewfinder so i kept going.

kloner

Aerial DP
mine doesn't either, but i over move the yaw following the ground. i'm so used to single rotor helis and tail,,,, these are a tad different

watch :38, see the light in the upper right but upper left is all dirt, that

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
i'm pushing forward in atti and holding it forward, give ail bank and add tail, the yaw is the only thing that turns it around and you can lean a little or alot to deal with different winds from different angles. If i gotta turn fast i give alot of ail, like enough to stop it if i was going forward, but by the time i input it, the yaw already has my nose pointing int eh direction were flying. My guess is unless you could flat out create a rate mode tail and not have the fc making yaw when ail is touched. Can't imagine that without a physical tail to veign and even then it's sticking up 45 degrees on my rig, so a horizontal anything stabilizer would suck on a tail,,,, vert, alright, i'll watch

Yeah, OK, I can see that in your video. It is a lot like you're driving a rally car. Sometimes you are over-rotating, and then the velocity catches up to the heading later. Not a huge deal, looks like fun. But it's not ideal if you were trying to film a moving vehicle on the ground.

Anyways, I quit using open source software systems for multicopters because they can fail miserably and there is just too much in the game to let those things happen.

Kind of like the WK-M FOD?

And making it feel like you are driving a race car takes the skill away from flying a multicopter in fpv.. I don't know. 50% pro .. 50% contra here.
I think I should just learn to make corners rather than waiting for a software update that leaves the skill behind to make a corner..

That's cool. Nothing being forced. I'm more interested in UAV usage. If you want to fly manually for fun, that's fine.

I think Kloner is probably considered really good. But I think I could make the system do it better automatically. If your goal is video results, not flying for fun, then there's some value in it.

kloner

Aerial DP
All i'm doing with a move like that is getting ready to do it proximity, like if i don't make the corner, i'm going in the wall...........

everybody in here you asked are just fpv'rs, we're not looking for automated filming platforms, just a fun recolection of the memories. honestly, i like my live feed vids more than anything else produced..... screw the smooth high def, like seeing how far what was happening, like the eagle tree osd and zephyr

Thought behind it all being filling a niche piloting something in the film industry. Most likely chasing fast boats very soon

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Yeah, I know you're FPVers. I was just wondering if this would be something you guys would be interested in. Sounds like you aren't. That's cool.

I haven't had a lot of traction on it. But it's something I'm mostly interested for UAV helicopter use. I want to be able to film video, chasing ground vehicles, flying FPV. And I think you want the yaw to align with the direction of travel in that case. Also, I want the yaw to try and follow the direction of travel when flying waypoints. Currently the tail turns to the next waypoint before the direction of travel does. Not so good at high speeds.