FPV Turns make me crazy (including raising heartbeat)

Jessestr

I really have a though time to make turns with my quadcopter in fpv. LOS is much more easy to take a turn like this but in FPV it just doesn't work.

Following image describes my problem!

Any tips? Thanks!

50842cd1bd886-fpv_turn_problem.jpg

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
You really shouldn't fly FPV in GPS mode its just have the fun ! But its a good feeling to have the module on for safety reason and in situation were you want the bird to hold position or to come back etc.

If you yaw left you will have to actively work against the initial direction of the copter with aileron and elevator which will result in a curve but not in a point turn ! It like fighting for the direction you turned the nose to ! But than again not pushing it to far to make it a unsmooth flight and curve

Do you have a video so we can see were what you mean exactly ?

Boris

DesJardins

So far 90% of my flights have been in Att mode and making forward motion turns isn't too hard.

Check out the vids I have posted so far in YouTube

Jessestr

Well I LOS I kick in with pitch & roll to get a nice turn which works great.. I know I have to do this in FPV too to make a nice curved turn. But my question is if you have any tips for getting that curve nice.. Sometimes it really starts drifting and drifting and drifting...

You really shouldn't fly FPV in GPS mode its just have the fun ! But its a good feeling to have the module on for safety reason and in situation were you want the bird to hold position or to come back etc.

If you yaw left you will have to actively work against the initial direction of the copter with aileron and elevator which will result in a curve but not in a point turn ! It like fighting for the direction you turned the nose to ! But than again not pushing it to far to make it a unsmooth flight and curve

Do you have a video so we can see were what you mean exactly ?

Boris

Jessestr

I looked at your videos and it looks way better than my first time in fpv.. Maybe it's due to power? I really pick up speed so fast. My quad flies insane fast.. and to make a nice short curved turn is rather hard.
Do you have any pictures of your setup? I like your movies.. Will watch some more now!

So far 90% of my flights have been in Att mode and making forward motion turns isn't too hard.

Check out the vids I have posted so far in YouTube

DesJardins

Thanks! I barely move the stick forward to keep the speed down until I'm ready for full Fast Forward Flight in Manual mode which is a completly different flight.

Here are pics of how it sits now; I uploaded a few vids yesterday and at the end you'll see some quicker banked turns in manual at the end of the (Futaba 8FGs 1/2 mile) shakedown vid.

0293D081-AE5A-44B2-BDD9-0B39154ACEDB-354-0000002B4735E777.jpg

C8A88598-9153-47CE-AA8D-C2ED31F6E69D-354-0000002B492AEED1.jpg

BFD94247-CA52-427E-9D32-166F47F8BB99-354-0000002B4C47D626.jpg

27B20B40-F494-440F-80F5-1BDA91851BE0-354-0000002B3DA2257F.jpg

Jessestr

Oh I came across your setup not so long ago. Almost the same gear as I do.. Only I have an FPV cam & Sony action cam, TBS Core (OSD & filters) and TBS Discovery ..
Your setup is way too compact! Really awesome.. Using EC3 connectors! Nice finally someone that also uses them :D love them!

How do you got rid of the jello?

DesJardins

Yeah, compact is an understatement, lol

I too have a TBS frame/core ordered but that won't be here for 3+ weeks I'm guessing.
I simply use Align Hook and Loop tape under the GoPro not only for dampening but security incase the strap I have around the GoPro ever decides to let go.

Jessestr

Any link to the Align Hook & Loop thingy?

Will you fly FPV with the Discovery? Or keep the Flamewheel F450.. I like the FPV part but I still have the feeling that I want to combine it with some AV work..

Yeah, compact is an understatement, lol

I too have a TBS frame/core ordered but that won't be here for 3+ weeks I'm guessing.
I simply use Align Hook and Loop tape under the GoPro not only for dampening but security incase the strap I have around the GoPro ever decides to let go.

DesJardins

Any link to the Align Hook & Loop thingy?

Will you fly FPV with the Discovery? Or keep the Flamewheel F450.. I like the FPV part but I still have the feeling that I want to combine it with some AV work..

This is the 450 size hook & loop tape that only needs a little cut to fit under the whole GoPro
http://www.alignrcusa.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=201

I'll be going all FPV on the Discovery and selling the standard F450 top/bottom plates.
I can't get enough of FPV

Jessestr

Yeah.. I'm just scared that all the money that I spent on it will drop like nothing because lack of skills or maybe motor stop.. I don't know.. Can happen in LOS too but in LOS I don't fly that high..

And wow did the velcro straps did all the jello away?

Jessestr

Very nice..
Or you have extremely balanced motors & props or this trick works just great..

Really almost got the same setup as you do. Really like it! Why do you fly on 3S btw?

Jesse

kloner

Aerial DP
to do smooth turns in fpv is a bit like ice skating at any speed at all. Winds really make it hard.

the overall smoothest i've gotten them yet is to always push forward on the stick,,,,, never let up, give it a little roll to the direction you want to turn but then follow up with a slow steady yaw and it'll follow it right around, the other one i do is forward stick then pull back on the stick treating it like brakes, and increasingly pulling back, then spin it around...... you could do that in a 90 degree turn to, but it'd be harder.....

3:10 other than the little bobble from letting up and remembering nose down,,,, nailed it. That other one is 4:10..... it's like a bunch of breaks then turn, that works 90 degree really good, but timings everything on when to let off the brakes and it'd be more of a yaw till the right direction then alot of forward.....

Midwest rob has some of the smoothest long sweeping turns. there inspiring

Last edited by a moderator:

DesJardins

Very nice..
Or you have extremely balanced motors & props or this trick works just great..

Really almost got the same setup as you do. Really like it! Why do you fly on 3S btw?

Jesse
Big part is how tight you have the band around the GoPro after using the hook & loop tape...
I use the 3S packs mainly because they all flew my 450Pro heli.

But they work great for me so far and get me a total of about 6-7 min of flying

Jessestr

The turn on 4:10 looks better for flying in small places... That's the one I like to use when I'm limited in space (getting near a tree or something and you want to turn back .. just an example)
Thanks for showing! Have to train this.

to do smooth turns in fpv is a bit like ice skating at any speed at all. Winds really make it hard.

the overall smoothest i've gotten them yet is to always push forward on the stick,,,,, never let up, give it a little roll to the direction you want to turn but then follow up with a slow steady yaw and it'll follow it right around, the other one i do is forward stick then pull back on the stick treating it like brakes, and increasingly pulling back, then spin it around...... you could do that in a 90 degree turn to, but it'd be harder.....

3:10 other than the little bobble from letting up and remembering nose down,,,, nailed it. That other one is 4:10..... it's like a bunch of breaks then turn, that works 90 degree really good, but timings everything on when to let off the brakes and it'd be more of a yaw till the right direction then alot of forward.....

Midwest rob has some of the smoothest long sweeping turns. there inspiring

Last edited by a moderator: