Foxtech M700 7" monitor

kloner

Aerial DP
got one of these today...... other than the $ems only shipping, it was a pretty good deal. The picture is super clear, reminds me of looking through goggles being the 22" monitor is a little rough being 640x480 resolution and so big. This one is 800x600 and 1/3 the size. Anyway, colors are true, has a great mount for the tripod. only thing i wasn't gonna do is have all them connectors everywhere so i hardwired the monitor to a uno and made the uno the power inlet for both monitor and vRX. the hood has this lame velcro contraption but they completely went around the entire perimiter with velcro the strap is suppose to use, but it works even better with the velcro on the tv's perimiter, locks right on with no straps, super clean. This will definately work

it comes in pal and until it has a signal it is blue screen and won't let you access the menu. you have to kinda blindly find ntsc to even see the osd. that was tricky, other than that it's plug and fly

i.php

027%20%281024x768%29_795.jpg

028%20%281024x768%29_795.jpg

i.php

i.php

i.php

i.php

mitsaras

hi kloner,
according to Foxtech this monitor's brightness is 450 cd/sq.m. I've used a 250 cd/sq.m monitor outside in bright sunlight & it was barely visible with a hood...
Have you used this one outside, & if so, how would you rate its brightness?
btw your wiring solution looks really neat.
thx
Dimitris

Last edited by a moderator:

Kilby

Looks nice, kloner!

Let us know how it works once you get to kick the tires.

BTW.. what's all the camo in the background? Is that your boat? Pretty sweet!

kloner

Aerial DP
will do,,,, i'm planning a day trip this weekend down to the desert to fly

yea, my boat was going through oil over the 4th weekend and it was 116. the sweat was running in my eyes so fast everytime i tried looking at it i just drug it 200 miles to do it in San Diego to fix it. Think a valve cover gasket left or is leaving.

156-5684_IMG.jpeg

IMG_4895_copy.jpeg

it's a 383 small block in what they call a Ronnies Mud Boat. there refered to as super go devils. It's what i fly fpv off of

kloner

Aerial DP
i only flew early in the morning but stood outside and had no problems at all. one of the arrows had a coarse brightness setting, like 6 clicks goes from black to white, but the osd inside had 0-100 for all the settings, mine were on 50 across the board. i was wearing polarized glasses too. Heading back down in a few days, hopefuly something keeps me there longer to see what sitting in the mid day sun looks like

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I need a new monitor only because my Lilliput goes black with any signs of static. Does this one show all static? Meant to also ask you if you have any experience with the new 1300 band readymade is selling? I am having NO luck with 5.8 what so ever.

Jessestr

Could you make a photograph of the image in bright sunlight? I know it's not the same as in real life.. but to have an idea.

Still need a 7" for my ground station :D

kloner

Aerial DP
I'll grab one this weekend when i go flying. It is as bright if not brighter than the 22" I don't think visibility is a problem with it.

I have a car type in my trucks dash and unless it's dark i can't see anything so i get the bad brightness, but this one seems pretty normal. on there site he's got a video of it going. mine looks like it has more color, but the detail looks just like that

ChrisViperM

On some home DVD players you can change the setting from NTSC to PAL. If you hook that DVD player with PAL setting to your Foxtech monitor, it should get a signal and should let you access the menue. The DVD player should normally let you access its own menue even without signal to be able to change back to NTSC...maybe worth trying. Should also work with any video camera capable of switching between PAL and NTSC...I got a Panasonic GH2 and there it's possible with a hack:
http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/403/gh2-pal-and-ntsc-versions/p1

Chris

kloner

Aerial DP
i was able to see the osd scrolling, but barely enough to see to push what buttons, then it just came on right. the other weird thing is when you hit input, it has all kinds to choose but you need av2

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Yeah, it's weird how it has an hdmi input option? The layout is very similar to my lilliput monitor, I bet they are the same manufacturer. But my lilliput does have hdmi input and is slighlty better quality. I am really hoping this has been the problem with all my FPV systems.

kloner

Aerial DP
flew an easy mile with this monitor last trip out, rx was hanging on the back and antennas under it.......

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
ok, just tried it and this was my problem all this time! I have bought 3 sets of 5.8 ghz vtx and all this time it was my lilliput that was just going black at any sign of weakness. I can go through my steel building and around the corner and still get signal now! Woohoo. Kloner for president!

One thing I still cant get though, is that there is no color any mode other than PAL.

kloner

Aerial DP
i think i'm on that first one. Try selecting it, trun it off then turn it on....... it was tempermental getting it going but once it's setup, your golden

Totality

I have just picked up this M700 monitor and despite me asking Foxtech to add anything to the order that would be needed to get the monitor, Rx and Tx all working together they didn't bother so all connections are different and I don't know if other people cut the connectors, simply solder the wires together, etc but am looking into it.

With regards to the M700 monitor - how do you guys supply it with power? There are the standard red, yellow, and white connectors and I assume the red one in this case is not audio but power? Do you cut it off and put a Deans, etc connector on it? Out in the field the mains adapter can't be used and the thing comes with no instructions at all!

I don't want to go cutting anything until I confirm what to do. If I cut the red connector, does it have two wires inside I can solder to a deans (well XT60 in my case) and a lipo attaches straight to it, or do you need a mini 12v motorcycle battery?

Oh and I only have 3S 2200 lipos - do you need 2S?