First timer on a FPV quad

Jackella

I'm using the last of the GoPro Hero 1 and it's plug and play. The early GoPro 1 needed a mod to get live video feed but later firmware fixed that. Later models were released with the live video feed feature already installed.

thanks for the info:) there is some good deals on the Goprohero1 at the mo'

kloner

Aerial DP
In setting up my fpv i took rcnuts advice and got my antenna up high enough and that made a big difference

014 (1280x960)_795.jpg

For current fpv gear i'd even look at there 960, that's the best mode for viewing through it

RCNut

Looks good Kloner. I havent added my legs yet but its on my list. Your setup is pretty much identical to the one I have planned.

plingboot

Just a thought for those of you using the gopro THESE mounts let you bolt the fixing to your MR rather than using the sticky q/r fixings.

I bought a couple of different ones to test and the simplest mount is IMHO better than the gopro tripod mount as it has two bolt holes which keep it from twisting and once mounted the gopro is less prone to rattle/flex.

rcmike

Just a thought for those of you using the gopro THESE mounts let you bolt the fixing to your MR rather than using the sticky q/r fixings.

I bought a couple of different ones to test and the simplest mount is IMHO better than the gopro tripod mount as it has two bolt holes which keep it from twisting and once mounted the gopro is less prone to rattle/flex.

Those are nice. I have my gopro in a gimbal now but I will surely bookmark that site for future use.

kloner

Aerial DP
Tried 6 different mounting and locations. That setup is the only one that recorded jello free hero2 1080p narrow 90 deg fov. Everything else balked on anything higher than 760, and 760 was alright, not perfect. Mines laying on zeal tape, like a gyro

even just the foot for gopro has the 3m 4010 tape, also an excellent gyro tape for anti vibration

Macsgrafs

Got mine! Thanks a lot!!!!

Hopefully going to the park this afternoon after work to maiden my FPV gear. Wish me luck (Or better still: break a propeller... LOL)

Dont use any GPS, it liable to mess up with the solar radiation thats currently plastering our planet!

kloner

Aerial DP
when they talk about it messing with high frequency radio signals, does that include our fpv if were running 5.8? what about 2.4? dont understand how high a freq goes, but better to ask than find out

i'm hours away from hero or zero myself

Macsgrafs

when they talk about it messing with high frequency radio signals, does that include our fpv if were running 5.8? what about 2.4? dont understand how high a freq goes, but better to ask than find out

i'm hours away from hero or zero myself

If you tune an FM radio off a signal, what do you hear??? Static! that static (white noise) contains EVERY frequency in the RF spektrum, so there could well be a chance of poor reception.

Ross

jackmulti

Hey guys,

had a blast yesterday. Managed to get a maiden on LOS and two FPV flights after work, before it got too dark. Everything went really well but I was happy I had a fairly large open space as it took me a while to manage drift, more so on rate mode. At the end I got to do some controlled circuits to boot.

I found it hard to know where the craft is when I land. I always think it would be much closer to me... guess it's a good thing.

This thing is addictive to the bone! Can't wait to be out there again...

jackmulti

Nice one Jack, did you get any video?

Ross

Unfortunately I do not as I only had very limited time before it got dark to set things up. But I'll post what I manage to get during the weekend.

I apologize in advance as it will be pretty boring, trying to learn again how to hover and all...

Last edited by a moderator:

RCNut

Hi Jack

Glad to hear everything went well.

Not sure if you were using the GoPro camera but the fisheye lens makes everythink look further away so you tend to land much further away from you than you think you are - then you have to go looking for it - especially if the grass needs mowing.

From my last 5 or 6 flights Ive been taking off and landing in front of myself so I can see myself in the camera. I can now land it a few meters from my feet (still looks 10 meters away through the GoPro though)

Hers a video I did a few weeks ago in my local park (sorry Yuri - the cops dont bother me over here :nevreness:)

Hey guys,

had a blast yesterday. Managed to get a maiden on LOS and two FPV flights after work, before it got too dark. Everything went really well but I was happy I had a fairly large open space as it took me a while to manage drift, more so on rate mode. At the end I got to do some controlled circuits to boot.

I found it hard to know where the craft is when I land. I always think it would be much closer to me... guess it's a good thing.

This thing is addictive to the bone! Can't wait to be out there again...

jackmulti

Very cool. Gives me the urge to be back at it. Can't wait... man, it's like starting over...

Hi Jack

Glad to hear everything went well.

Not sure if you were using the GoPro camera but the fisheye lens makes everythink look further away so you tend to land much further away from you than you think you are - then you have to go looking for it - especially if the grass needs mowing.

From my last 5 or 6 flights Ive been taking off and landing in front of myself so I can see myself in the camera. I can now land it a few meters from my feet (still looks 10 meters away through the GoPro though)

Hers a video I did a few weeks ago in my local park (sorry Yuri - the cops dont bother me over here :nevreness:)

jackmulti

Well, had many flights over the weekend. Wind was mostly on the 40+km/h range- brutal. Gusts were even more challenging.

Lots of drift and such, but getting better. Still sorting out vibrations on my key chain camera.

Landing was on hold as I lost video signal due to a poor connection on the camera. Won't do that mistake again.