First timer on a FPV quad

jackmulti

I am maidening mine this weekend, weather permitting. Any advance tips you can give on flying a quad on fpv? Is take off or hover a problem? Freaky!

Anything I could do to step it?

I can fly quads LOS no problem, 3D helis and planes, and fly FPV floater planes... the problem is combining all this stuff together.

Macsgrafs

Jack, I'm at the exact same position as you, but I've never flown FPV properly before. But from what I've seen, the secret is to get it up off the deck quite quickly & then slowly fly about.

Ross

Jackella

i'm new to FPV,about 10 successful flights behind me now.
my advice to you is make sure the quad behaves itself first on lots of slow flights then hover it about 3-4ft above ground and slowly follow it round the field and practise turning etc staying behind it all the time.This will give you a 'feel' for how the quad behaves when you fly FPV.

kloner

Aerial DP
I'll be going for my first flights this weekend as well. got enough crap, now it's time to see if it gets to come home

I've been practicing on phoenix from cockpit view and it seems really easy

kloner

Aerial DP
in the 4.0 versions, change it to the 3d scenery. if you have a 3d card and it enabled, full screen is 3d, in a window is 2d. then select cockpit in any model. Theres a gaui in there

Kilby

The number one thing I would say is to make sure the quad is tuned in well before you start. Take a battery and just get it trimmed in really well, maybe see if you can add a little expo to tame it down some if it's your first time. It will help you from over compensating to much. The biggest problem I had was getting used to the throttle and where hover was without looking at the controls. In the end, I put a set of microphones onboard and I can now tell what's going on just by the sound of the props.

Good luck, and get some video of it if you can!

jackmulti

Thanks Kloner: that's what I figured. On version 3 there is no such thing... I'll update

The biggest problem I had was getting used to the throttle and where hover was without looking at the controls.

I confess I am spoiled: I hit a switch on my radio and the NAZA put's it into a sustained altitude hover.

Do you guys use OSDs?

RCNut

Ive had about 8 FPV flights now. The first was the hardest and consisted of several 2 or 3 minute flights with a break in between. Here's what I found when first starting.

For me, the first important point is to fly at a location youre familiar with. Once you get some altitude, local knowledge helps you to know where things are.

I always stand close to an obvious or large object so you always know where you are. That way you can stay away from yourself. If you stand in an open space you could easily back the model into yourself if youre hovering nearby and it drifts backwards towards you. In my local practice park, I stand near a tree and never hover close to my location unless I can see myself. Later as you get more comfortable you can fly past yourself as long as you know where you are in reference to your view. Its scary flying past yourself and hearing the props nearby but you learn to trust your view.

For the first flight of the day, before using the goggles, I always hover for a few seconds without the goggles on just to make sure all is stable and to confirm any drift if there is any wind about. Then I land and put on the goggles.

Pop it up into the hover fairly quickly in a large open area and be ready for any drift. Its easier for me to judge drift when Im a meter or two off the ground than when Im down low. Things move past too fast when youre only 30cm high and you may find yourself overcorrecting. After a few moments you'll get the feel for it but it will feel strange at first especially when drifting backwards. I also found it pays to have good resolution goggles. I started with cheap ones and it made hovering much harder because of the poor detail. They might be Ok for entry level fixed wing FPV but not so good for multirotors.

Flying forward will add some stability and will feel a bit more natural. Start slow and work your way up in an open space. Stop and pirouette from time to time to keep a reference of where you are. Get a bit of height (10 - 20 meters) and have a look around. Up high theres not so much stress but any wind will cause significantly more drift so be ready for it. Until youre use to the area always know where your landing space is and which way to turn to get back to it.

If you use a GoPro for your FPV camera things will look much further away than they are so remember not to get too close to things until youre used to it.

Altitude can be difficult to stabilise at height. If you have a Naza you get a feel for where 50% throttle is on your radio - otherwise look out ahead and compare nearby objects with those at a distance. If objects near you are moving downwards compared to objects further away then youre still climbing.

Lastly know your battery life and make sure you return to your landing point a little early. My GoPro displays recording time on the FPV so I use that for my timer.

Im sure there is more but but these are main things I remember noticing in my first flight. Oh - and have fun - its a great feeling of freedom flying FPV.

Ian

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
So far messing around with it at home i've seen as long as it's charged it hasn't failed. I feel like better quality and less chances of failing than say the $30 chineese cam that came with my fatshark system. Got that on a plane and the quality isn't near as good. I'm sure after a few crashes i'd love to get something with ir so can fly early in the am or late into twilight. It's hot where i fly.

jackmulti

RCNut
user-offline.png
Thanks for sharing your experience. It will help lots. Appreciated.

RCNut

so are you using the Gopro for both cam and recording Ian? if so is it plug and play or needs modification?

I'm using the last of the GoPro Hero 1 and it's plug and play. The early GoPro 1 needed a mod to get live video feed but later firmware fixed that. Later models were released with the live video feed feature already installed.