first build thread: lessons and learning to follow...

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Jay will work it out. Seems like he's being methodical.

I on the other hand need to wait until my new FC arrives to begin being methodical again :)

jbrumberg

Thanks Scott, I am trying to be methodical with this. The coincidences of this are just too similar to not try to rule this out. I was questioning Tx-Rx signal loss from the very first major crash. I am not ruling out flying skill and disorientation either, but I had put colored tape on the dome that I could clearly see at the time of the crash. I was in a head in position drifting backwards with the wind, and I was gunning the throttle and had the right stick (ailerons and elevators) positioned to climb and bank the quad back towards me. I practice this with my X1's. It just did not happen. Now and this is highly probable- did I underestimate the inertia of this quad relative to its mass and motor power relative to the wind? Most probably, so that is my inexperience with the build. Also I have to look more carefully at how well this build can fly in the wind. At least I have my anemometers to work with here. And once I get rebuilt I can do simple and safe testing of wind hovering. And since I do not have weather balloons, in the future, before any quad build flight, there will be a preliminary test flight or two with my X1's to try to get a picture of the wind patterns over this sloped ravine hilltop property I fly. I also have to look at Tx-Rx signal strength with the quad as it was built as to where the Rx was situated under the dome and in relationship to the FC and the antenna in relation to everything. All the build guides have the Rx and KK board set up similar to the way I have set up mine. From what I have read since the crash. The antenna for this Rx should hang vertically which is how I had mine, but some builds have the antenna running along the metal boom. So I have things to consider, research, and with which to experiment as I await the parts. We'll see.

PS: Now as I read this post. I am thinking about past crashes over the past year and maybe I could have just throttled correctly, banked correctly, and incorrectly dove rather than climbed the quad on the TX sticks. That was a common learning curve mistake I was making with all my RC aircraft. This could be the real reason.... Regardless more practice is obviously needed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
It seems like you are researching the right things - so an answer shouldn't be too far off. The Rx antenna seems like the most important part for ensuring decent range. I know we went round and round with this early on - around the time I came up with my chopstick fix :)

I see most people having the antenna in the V position vertically, up and away from any interference. This probably relates to frame material as well as other factors I'm sure. Regardless, it seems that a Tx/Rx range check is in order - and it's not something I have done. I need to check this too when the quad is all back together.

There is no question that the inertia/weight of the larger quad is going to put you in a different head-space while flying. When I first flew the big build after only flying the little Blade NanoQX, I was SHOCKED at how different they flew. The increased power and weight made the stick movements/response a whole new animal - and it was downright scary at first. I recognized that I had to be more subtle (or maybe I "wanted" to be more subtle out of fear) than I had been with the mini.

My first flights involved just getting used to hovering - with wind aplenty. That gave me the confidence that the quad could remain righted if there was outside influence (wind, ground effect) to it's level position - then I started moving around. I would say that with the suggested method of getting the ACRO mode dialed in first - it's probably best to do this on a windless day (not likely for us for a while). Then move to the self-leveling features that will help it fight against wind for you.

jbrumberg

I got plenty of time to think, toy with, and research this thing out. I do not mind this part; I like research and learning new stuff. I have a single dipole antenna which makes mounting a lot easier.

You are really correct about: "There is no question that the inertia/weight of the larger quad is going to put you in a different head-space while flying. When I first flew the big build after only flying the little Blade NanoQX, I was SHOCKED at how different they flew. The increased power and weight made the stick movements/response a whole new animal - and it was downright scary at first. I recognized that I had to be more subtle (or maybe I "wanted" to be more subtle out of fear) than I had been with the mini." Although the build flies similar to my X1's that is only as it relates to Tx stick movement "feel" not how it flies. Those difference could have "thrown" me off enough to throw off all my purported practice training responses, and simply put- I lost it.

Our mini's due to their light weight to power ratio respond to Tx commands quickly. Our builds due their power, mass, and inertia react less quickly, but more powerfully so I need to be more anticipatory and less reactionary in my style of flying. It's all part of my learning curve.

I pushed my limits by flying around the way that I did. I exceed my abilities and/or the abilities of my build. Probably there is some mix of issues going on. I should have been more methodical and more controlled in my flight training. I will the next time. Practice, practice, practice.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I think the tell-tale sign of the difference between the mini and the larger quads is the anxiety that comes over you when you think you are firing it up in a "large space" only to instantly feel that it's not big enough!!!! When I was in the backyard down in NJ, I felt like the space was HUGE. Then the motors started spinning and the yard closed in around me - just from the sound of the props spinning in their dangerous dance....

You can only imagine what it felt like in the driveway here in Vermont - which seems huge for a car, but not for a quad :)

jbrumberg

It does help to have some wide open area to fire up these bigger quads. Even with all the space that we have for which I/we are grateful, these quads can run out of room real fast :hororr:. All that space does give me additional time to react, but I am older I need all the help that I can get with my delayed reaction times:strawberry:

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
It's great that you have that space. I'm afraid that even there I would get panicked :)

On a side note: the Dubro arrived a moment ago. Put it together and already feel more confident than I did with the TopFlite. Since I now have n alternative - I'm going to bring the "stops" down to the shop and see if I can turn some aluminum ones that will work better.

Major advantage of the Dubro: the spring loaded stop on the one side. I think I'll need to see about dabbing up one of those for the TopFlite as well.

Slight disadvantage/complaint: the base is not perfectly level. So even with the nuts installed on the bottom (molded and sunken), the base is slightly raised on one side.

Last edited by a moderator:

COMike93yj

Still Building!
Hi Guys!!!

WOW....what a difference a weekend "off" makes when checking the forum!

SOOOOO SORRY for your crashes!!!! We got 14" of snow at the house and I was (and still am) battling a bout of stomach flu. Doc put some IV's in me this AM and I feel WAY better! Dehydration is a ***** even though I tried to stay up with the fluids its tough when it is coming out BOTH ends...LOL.

My ESC's and my other RX came in from Witespy on Saturday. Kudos to the US Postal Service for making it through the quagmire of the South East and then delivering my package on Saturday in some HEAVY snow!

I am feeling confident enough that I am sitting in the hobby room dry-fitting my motors and ESCs.....cutting wires and soldering will come shortly!

Hang in there guys.....you are the "leading edge" of the DIY quad stuff as far as I am concerned!!!!

Cheers,

Mike :)

jbrumberg

Mike- I speak for myself, but I think a few of us would agree that recently a few of us have had our highs and our lows RC-wise. I probably have learned more by crashing than by flying. The more I find out the more questions I have. Hopefully that will change.

You need to watch yourself. Take care.

Jay

COMike93yj

Still Building!
Mike- I speak for myself, but I think a few of us would agree that recently a few of us have had our highs and our lows RC-wise. I probably have learned more by crashing than by flying. The more I find out the more questions I have. Hopefully that will change.

You need to watch yourself. Take care.

Jay

Will do Jay!....Ups and Downs happen....hopefully the DOWNS aren't too severe...LOL.

The "quest for knowledge" should NEVER stop as with anything in life :)......we will all soldier on and EVENTUALLY we will all be closer to getting that "perfect flying platform"!!!

Mike :)

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I would agree that I'm learning more from cashing than flying. But then again, that may be because all I do is crash!!! :)

On top of that - I'm being schooled by an electrical/PCB expert about how I had my multiwii wired up was possible incorrect, but worked perfectly. And by connecting it the "right" way, it doesn't work. Good grief. Learning is heady business :)

I have an order in for a new FC. Seemed the right thing to do considering I'm so new to all this - and even if I could have hobbled this current one together with jumpers etc, it would have left me less than confident....

I'm standing outside with no jacket, blue skies with just a touch of fluffy white clouds (which are only there to make gopro videos look cool!), without a build in working order to take advantage of the weather. Ugh !

jbrumberg

Light snow here all day with about 1" accumulation winds are just a little too high for my X1's. I had a window of opportunity earlier, but.... The Chinese New Year which a huge family holiday will keep HK mainland operations closed until the 7th of February. So I will continue to work on :02.47-tranquillity:. Had I been less impulsive I could have checked out the European warehouses for the spare booms and the frame kit. I can straighten out the bent motor mount pretty well. One tube is pretty bent, but I'll keep at it episodically. I may up going with a different frame altogether. I got the time to think this through. :02.47-tranquillity:

Scott now don't go out, stress your body out, get yourself sick, and end up on IV fluids like Mike.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I was just thinking that Mike is having the same bad luck that we are - except his is with the HEALTH!!!! Mike, quads can be repaired buddy. Health, not so much. Take it easy would you???

I'm sort of obsessed with THIS frame right now - but pricey!!!!

coreyperez

Ohhhh... That frame looks cool!

Well good luck getting the builds back together. I'm still waiting on my parts to get the Honey Badger properly up. I've got a busy week here and we are going to the field for about 3 weeks during the end of this month into next month. Blah....

coreyperez

Took the 1:1 scale out today ;)

Attachments

• 20140204_114048_resized.jpg
    20140204_114048_resized.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 212