first build thread: lessons and learning to follow...

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
The USPS has determined they have no idea what happened to my FC. Best advice: " wait til Tuesday to see if someone scan it." Not a wonder they are doing so fabulously....

jbrumberg

My wife and I have a couple of postal worker friends. We have heard some stories. Working for the USPS can be (in some cases) quite dehumanizing and desensitizing to its employees and it unfortunately shows. I hope it turns up. At least there is a tracking number. Weather does not look too promising for outdoor flying the next few days anyways, but things will be warming up even though there will be more snow.

I am counting birds today. This is the National Audubon Bird Count Weekend. Wifey and I have been doing this for years. I am convinced the birds know this is scheduled so they disappear.

I have been avoiding my quads. They are very distracting. If I do anything more to them it's going to cost me more money. If I look at them I want to do something to them. I need to avoid them.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Its always good to step away for a bit - especially if it saves you money. But at this point I just want to get this quad back together so I can make a couple custom things (protective lid, relocate battery to balance gimbal). And waiting over 2 weeks is pushing my limits of patience - because he's in Florida!!! China, I get that.. but Florida? Come on people!

ive known some postal workers as well. And I can say that maybe there's a bit too much human in the equation for 2014. Tracking and locations/progress of packages is updated constantly by the other carriers. It's a swipe of a wand really. The computer does the rest. Conveyer belts probably do it half the time anyway. But USPS is stuck in 1972 (or is it 1792???).

Ok, end rant. It'll get here when it gets here....

happy bird peeping!

coreyperez

Don't get me started on USPS..... almost 4 months to get a computer shipped to APO (because they were stolen two times by USPS workers...)

Living in North Pole, the WX is always -35* (or colder during winter). and we have a line around the building waiting on these guys. I've been to Utah (Air Force for 6 years there) and they had scales where you measured everything, it weighted it, swiped a card, printed a label and done.

And the delivery (contract) workers in NP are AWLFUL! They won't deliver anything but envelopes. All our packages we have to go stand in that aforementioned line.

USPS Sucks.

Corey

jbrumberg

Trust me I am not defending USPS. They will not deliver to our residence. (I could put up a RR box .25 mile down the road.) Never have; never will. We are a remote satellite post office. One full time Post Mistress, a part time rural route delivery person. I can say I think that they do know what is going on in the community.

coreyperez

Well I just gave the Flytrex a try...

I was woefully umimpressed with the connectors/plugs that were included. Once I hooked up the Naza to the computer to ensure calibration I got a GPS error. I figured it was because of the flytrex and dismissed it after checking all the connections. I checked solar data and seen there was rated as "Storm" but figured I'd give it a try anyway. So I took it out and realized right away there was a problem. I couldn't even get to the GPS calibration mode (flipping between GPS and ATTI/Manual at least 5 times). I tried this numerous times with no luck. I so went flying anyway. the Naza reported GPS signal issues the entire time but I flew it anyway.

Long story short, the poor design of the connectors etc (at a minimum) caused the GPS to not work in my instance. When I got back I noticed the GPS wire had wiggled out of the flytrex during flight. 100% no-go for my intended future use. There is no way this is acceptable to be a "in-between" link between something so vita AND be the weak link.

I also did not have any recorded data when I went and pulled the SD and went to upload it, the entire card was blank.

I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND AGANST using the Flytrex. Poor design and development, poor instructions and a huge weak link in a vital system.

$50 wasted.

Corey

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Hey folks! I have decided to continue this saga over on a new thread. After almost 30 pages of posts, I hope people have gotten both some lessons AND some learning out of this first experience of mine...

The new FC finally arrived, and I will be testing and hopefully flying sometime soon (weather and Multiwii coding permitting!). Stay tuned for my first attempts at getting a GoPro gimbal going.

Part 2 will be HERE. Hope to see you there...

Scott

coreyperez

Scott,

I figured the flight tracking would be neat and help me log my flights as accurately as possible. I didn't think it would cause a world of trouble.

Corey

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
That's a bummer. I know there has been a debate raging over on the superX thread about whether real time data is necessary. I think the more tools at your disposal the better.

I was unfamiliar with that product you bought - but it would have been something that interested me had I seen it. Glad to have the info - but sorry you had to take the hit. Is it only for Naza? In that case I would have been saved anyway. Might as well just get OSD. But that seems to have its difficulties and issues as well.

Is it repairable???

Last edited by a moderator: