first build thread: lessons and learning to follow...

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Mike, I used hot glue because I thought it might make sense for it the "break away" if needed. I've never owned hot glue gun before - had to buy it in a craft store (read beads and seeing and scrapbooks!!!). The camera goes on 2 tubes that came with the frame. They sit directly under the bottom plate for that purpose. You can see them in the photos of the braces - up top coming right at you.

Jay, that build looks great. I think the more we document these builds the more others can learn. Good moves and bad! :)

jbrumberg

Thanks Sam. So far it looks kind of like a flying erector set. I think that I could set up the Rx and the basic KK2 board functions with what I l ready have in place with the motor and its ESC in the Motor #1 position the way the KK2 board is wired for power and distribution, but if I am going to energize the board I might as well have all the wiring in place at power up. All or nothing. Hopefully no magic smoke that day :hororr: I have no problems with documenting my successful and my less successful RC activities. One needs a sense of humor, the ability to laugh at oneself, and the ability to learn from one's mistakes. And something I need to work on- the ability to ask for help.

The "breakaway" concept as a way to dissipate impact energy seemed to work one of my highly modified heli's (now MIA), and the hazard flashers on my tractor (minimally modified):joyous:. I had a lot of wood and rubber bands on that heli- they worked like a charm. And I swear by those ziptie landing gear struts on my SYMA X1's- I'm always replacing those things.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I figured I'm better letting it sorta break, than fully break or put too much rigidity so that all the electronics get shocked to the point of breaking.

I also strapped some padding to the landing gear. I was surprised to see that the landing gear was a long tube on each side - but the small hoops that hold the tubes were lower than the tube itself. So the hole quad was balancing on 4 small points.

Those pics to follow...

COMike93yj

Still Building!
Ahhh I understand your rationale now Scott! Good to have some sacrificial "crunch" points rather than have it transfer to the electronics. I also understand how you will be mounting the camera as well.

I just ordered my frame....went with a DJI F450 setup (x2)....got a good deal at ClubHeliRC so picking up the extra frame will allow me to have leg spares and be able to use the other bottom plate for electronics in the future.

Jay, How is the KK board working for you? I got mine a couple weeks ago but until I get all the parts I am not messing with it!

jbrumberg

"... but until I get all the parts I am not messing with it!" Mike that kind of sums it up for me at this point too as it relates to the KK2. I will be padding up the landing skids with something- pipe insulation looks pretty cheap, but so am I; and I have some laying around, too. There's all kinds of (cheap) foamy stuff out there that could possibly be utilized. That 4mm CF rod stuff seems pretty strong at the moment. All I plan to carry at the moment is my 808#16 key chain video cam. That's all of 18.5 grams. Now I'll be all to get one of those waterproof/resistant protective cases for it; I won't have to worry about payload weight anymore. :cool:

COMike93yj

Still Building!
"... but until I get all the parts I am not messing with it!" Mike that kind of sums it up for me at this point too as it relates to the KK2. I will be padding up the landing skids with something- pipe insulation looks pretty cheap, but so am I; and I have some laying around, too. There's all kinds of (cheap) foamy stuff out there that could possibly be utilized. That 4mm CF rod stuff seems pretty strong at the moment. All I plan to carry at the moment is my 808#16 key chain video cam. That's all of 18.5 grams. Now I'll be all to get one of those waterproof/resistant protective cases for it; I won't have to worry about payload weight anymore. :cool:

I am trying to do this on a budget as well! I will be using a Mobius Action Cam to video my escapades when the time arises. If you haven't seen them they are really pretty cool. I have been using it as a dash cam for the car when I get the chance and especially when I go to the track!

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I used the pipe insulation my landlord had lying around the garage. Very simple and cheap! Should definitely help with stabilization on my not so graceful landings :)

used a bit of the excess pieces to mount my OLED screen which allows me to see what the multiwii settings are - sorta like the screen you all have on the KK2. I just don't have the buttons for

it it ain't pretty but....

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Well, after all the research and time dedicated to figuring out a build as best I could, it looks like within the next 48 hours I should be able to launch this b^%ch! The photo below shows the launch pad - first time I've seen flat ground with no snow in weeks!!!

i traveled with the batteries in storage mode in my homemade charging bunker. Time to charge them up and get flying! Keep your fingers crossed....

COMike93yj

Still Building!
WHOO HOOOOO SCOTT!!!!! Glad you made it there safe and sound!

I am going to go with the same motors you did but I am still trying to wrap my head around the long shaft issue. Did you get a spacer or something or did you end up just cutting the shafts? I don't have a dremel as of yet so I don't want to have to start cutting things.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Actually, I just left them. I posted a question about it and the response I got was that it was normal. Can be cut, but not necessary. I'd like to know more about the "short shaft" versions. Ultimately I will use pancake motors with appropriate props for the heavy lift copter I make next. They are supposed to have better lift torque and the prop mounted on the motor directly makes for a more solid balancing.

the prop adaptors that come with the turnigy motors for down onto the shaft and use a collet mechanism to tighten to it. Doesn't seem the safest, most efficiancy way to do it. But everyone seems to have decent luck with it - so why reinvent the wheel for now.

Last edited by a moderator:

COMike93yj

Still Building!
Actually, I just left them. I posted a question about it and the response I got was that it was normal. Can be cut, but not necessary. I'd like to know more about the "short shaft" versions. Ultimately I will use pancake motors with appropriate props for the heavy lift copter I make next. They are supposed to have better lift torque and the prop mounted on the motor directly makes for a more solid balancing.

Great to know Scott! I will be putting these on order tonight I suppose!

Did you get bullet connectors for the wires? If so was there an appropriate size?

BTW....I have been flying the hell out of my NQX and am getting MUCH more comfortable getting it to do just what I want! This will certainly help when I get the F450 built and start test flying it!

On another note....my AccuCell 6 that I got from Hobbyking was broken as soon as I opened it. One of the buttons just fell out....for those of you that have had to deal with HK and its RMA policy thus far for me, it has been terrible. I might end up having to ship it back and get slammed for the shipping. I think that if something arrives broken, they should at least pick up the tab for shipping. Rant mode off!

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
That is ridiculous if they don't cover the shipping for a broken item. I'd go directly up the chain of command on that one.

The motors have connectors already, so you just need the females for the ESCs. I used 3.5mm bullets if I remember correctly. Those were the matching female size for the pre-soldered ones on those motors. HK sells cheap packs of male and female. Always good to have.

I just bought a nano for my step-dad. He used to fly RC planes, figured he might get a real kick out of it.

COMike93yj

Still Building!
That is ridiculous if they don't cover the shipping for a broken item. I'd go directly up the chain of command on that one.

The motors have connectors already, so you just need the females for the ESCs. I used 3.5mm bullets if I remember correctly. Those were the matching female size for the pre-soldered ones on those motors. HK sells cheap packs of male and female. Always good to have.

I just bought a nano for my step-dad. He used to fly RC planes, figured he might get a real kick out of it.

Yeah....will see what happens....it is still being "validated"...the RMA that is. Thanks for the tips on the motors! I am going to pick up some of the connectors as well. I see this becoming a cool hobby!

Your step-dad will LOVE the Nano! It is a hoot to fly....but you already know that!

Be sure to take a vid of your first flights! I'm certain they will be awesome!

jbrumberg

Scott- Good luck. I would not worry about those spacers if no one else with a similar setups have had problems.

Mike- I received a defective Tx from Bang Good quite awhile ago now. I fried the AA battery pack/Tx the moment I plugged it into the Tx. It was "Magic Smoke City":hororr:. It was clearly defective mis-assembly by the manufacturer (somebody was having a very bad day over there :worked_till_5am:). I took a lot of pictures and made a lot of posts with attachments at the appropriate sites at rcgroups..com. I asked for help and got directed to some supportive individuals. I posted my pictures to Bang Good and they did they replaced the defective Tx in a timely manner. Patience and politeness was a virtue in this matter. Good luck.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Agreed. Start with the good cop. But don't be afraid of the bad cop if they give you the runaround. :)

i think the only issue with the shafts being this long would be during crashes. I should be fine for the time being - while all I want to do it basically get the thing to hover correctly!!! But moving forward, I think this would be an extremely weak link on the quad. I have read people complaining about the small diameter of these shafts to begin with (3.17mm). Not sure what would require such length, when they package them with adaptors.

Im in sure I'll be fine for now. I'll try to get some video of the maiden voyage. I brought a go pro with me - and I always have the iPhone as backup. But I'm sure I'll have my hands full with the TX these first flights...

COMike93yj

Still Building!
Patience and politeness was a virtue in this matter. Good luck.

Agreed....I don't like to get up in arms about things and hopefully they will make it right.

Agreed. Start with the good cop. But don't be afraid of the bad cop if they give you the runaround. :)

i think the only issue with the shafts being this long would be during crashes. I should be fine for the time being - while all I want to do it basically get the thing to hover correctly!!! But moving forward, I think this would be an extremely weak link on the quad. I have read people complaining about the small diameter of these shafts to begin with (3.17mm). Not sure what would require such length, when they package them with adaptors.

Im in sure I'll be fine for now. I'll try to get some video of the maiden voyage. I brought a go pro with me - and I always have the iPhone as backup. But I'm sure I'll have my hands full with the TX these first flights...

Scott....I have been looking and there seems to be some sort of spacer you can use but I am not entirely certain. When I figure it out I will let you know! BTW....your Step Dad would make a nice cameraman!!!!

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I was thinking the same thing. He is a great photographer - time to get him into the moving pictures!

i haven't seen any spacers - definitely let me know if you find something.

scratch that. I have seen spacers that are thick and look like a 3 pronged affair that screws I to the motor body. Then the collet would be on top of that. These are the ones I asked about in my other post but was steered away. Keep me updated.

Last edited by a moderator:

COMike93yj

Still Building!
I was thinking the same thing. He is a great photographer - time to get him into the moving pictures!

i haven't seen any spacers - definitely let me know if you find something.

scratch that. I have seen spacers that are thick and look like a 3 pronged affair that screws I to the motor body. Then the collet would be on top of that. These are the ones I asked about in my other post but was steered away. Keep me updated.

Yes...those were the ones I had seen. I am not certain just how much they would help or not...I do know that they would add a bit of weight but not much!