Droidworx Octocopter parts and motor selection

I am starting a new build based on a DJI wookong M and I want your expert opinion.

Which part would you choose for a heavy Droidworx Octo?

AV200 or AV130 (which one is more stable for video) I have a 5d Mark ii but I am willing to get a 550d for the smaller mount if its more stable. Plus a GoPro HD.

Motors
Axi 2820/14, 2814/22 or Quadropower QC3328

ESC 40A or better?

Props? What size for which motor? I am limited to 12 inch for the Droidworx (need to get 465mm booms for longer props)

Batteries (3c, 4c ,discharge rate?, mah?)

I am looking to fly for 5-10 minutes slow controlled flight for video.

Have tried www.ecalc.ch/xcoptercalc_e.htm?ecalc but can't make up my mind.

Thanks

ovdt

I'd go for Hexa / Y6 setup unless you're not willing to carry more than 5D MKII.

Go for bigger motors like 2820, 2826. You will choose your ESCs according to your motors. Check the manufacturer web sites for how many amps does the motor consumpts. Continious power consumption should be in the safe limit of ESCs. AXi 2820/12 in a hexa setup would easily carry 5D MK II. (I have a AD6-HL equipped with AX 2814/22 and Graupner 11x5. I have no problem lifting EOS 600D. )

Check the AV200 topic that Boriss has started (AV200 video vibrations), you'll find lots of information there. There's no perfect camera gimbal system out there.

http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?640-Photohigher-AV200-PRO-Video-Vibrations

http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?762-Camera-Mount-recommedations

I wanted to go for a Y6 or a flat 6 at the beginning but I want redundancy over a failed motor. Gonna be flying over crew sometimes so I want that extra safety margin. Probably I am gonna go with the AXI 2820/14 and 40A esc.
After seeing the DJI gimbal video I am gonna wait for them to release it before making up my mind on a camera mount.

Stacky

I wonder if to do AP commercially and with any level of true professionalism we need a couple of different setups that can handle different types of work. I have built and tried 3 different versions of a Hexa but my short flying experience meant that I struggled with orientation in certain situations. In 6 months time I will probably find flying a Hexa to be no problem but for now I have to give it a miss, 4 months of trying didnt work for me. I no longer have the Hexa but now have a Y6 and X8. The Y6 is very nimble and is a lot of fun to fly. The X 8 is easy to fly but a little more conservative. It may be a case of horses for courses with the choice of machine for any particular job dependent on the conditions. I also have one of Mat Wellingtons v-tail quads and Im using that to become more proficient at nose in flying which is so important to be able to do. The v-tail quad is a huge amount of fun to fly and because its such a simple and quick build I dont mind pushing my own limits and dumping it into the dirt every now and then.
As it is I think we are going to need more than one machine for commercial work but maybe we might need 3 or 4 to cover the varied conditions and types of jobs?.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I wanted to go for a Y6 or a flat 6 at the beginning but I want redundancy over a failed motor. Gonna be flying over crew sometimes so I want that extra safety margin. Probably I am gonna go with the AXI 2820/14 and 40A esc.
After seeing the DJI gimbal video I am gonna wait for them to release it before making up my mind on a camera mount.

Redridinghood.. welcome to MRF.. where abouts in the world are you..? What kind of Video are you looking to shoot? you mentioned crew but I guess its not on a yacht!

You say a 550d but are willing to change.. which way up like 5d? The AV130 is really cramped for the 550D, especially if you want live out. I am building a ADX3HL with a AV200 for my 550D. I have a ADX3 now carrying a NEX5 and it will lift the 550D but only just and I am not happy flying it as it seems right on its limits.. 4Cell is a must I would say. I get 10mins safe flight time with my ADX3 and NEX5 with 16mm lens and 8 mins with NEX5 and 18/55mm lens.. I could get another 3 mins but I would not be happy with using all my reserve.. I use 1 4cell 5000maph overlander or two 2cell 2500maph both have a 25c discharge rate but this is pushed to the limit with the 18/55mm lens if I need a fast ascent.. Need to know more about your requirements really

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello,

Well I am currently in Cyprus, but I move around a lot. Was in Chicago a few months ago. By crew I mean people I work with. I am working as a DP for an advertizing agency. I also do CGI's for developers, television and architectural photography.
The octo will be used for adverts and for some large developer projects (golf).

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Hello,

Well I am currently in Cyprus, but I move around a lot. Was in Chicago a few months ago. By crew I mean people I work with. I am working as a DP for an advertizing agency. I also do CGI's for developers, television and architectural photography.

You should check out DennyR's post.. I am pretty sure he is working in Cyprus..

Have you flown MR's in the past or are you new to it?

Dave

Stacky

I think the DJI gimbal is quite likely to be a good one but just be aware that even a cheap mediocre gimbal can look good if it has a wide angled gopro on board. Im messing with a simple gimbal right now as I learn about how they all work and its cheap, very light, very simple with lots of flaws in its design. its sloppy, the mounting system isnt very clever and I probably have sloppy linkages in a jury rigged roll linkage compared to what it would be ideally. I shot a quick burst of footage yesterday with my gopro and the footage looked fine. However earlier in the day I had shot some footage with a similar weight and size compact camera that didnt have a very wide angle lens and the footage looked awful. The DJI gimbal footage looked very good but its just hard to know how good it is based on a wide angle camera output.

Not entirely new, I have a Gaui 500X for FPV and a X650 for the Gopro.

BTW why a ADX3? Is it just for space saving reasons or maneuverability?

CopterCam

Hello,

I am PGA Pro and was drawn to Aerial Photography from the many wonderful images of Golf Courses. I am presently honing my skills and building a heavy lifter Y6 platform specifically for aerial Video, which is an entirely different ballgame in terms of skill set and rig capabilities.

What do you intend to capture; Golf Course real estate and/or golf holes ?

Sid

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Motors
Axi 2820/14, 2814/22 or Quadropower QC3328

I've got one DW AD8-HLE flying with the Avroto motors and I'm preparing to assemble another one in the coming days. I thought about using Axi motors but the video I'm getting with the Avroto motors is pretty solid. I'd eventually like to try the Axi motors but if you're budget is tight, you won't be sorry you bought the Avroto's at less than half the price.
Bart

Real estate golf.

I am probably gonna go with the Avroto 2814. Thanks for the heads up. More money to spend on repair bills :).

Now I am waiting to get some clear answers of how the DJI platform will support an octo. Then I am off to order some parts. Any tips on the power harness.

Well, after a lot of though I went for the Skyjib 8. It's huge, I wonder if it will fit in the car.

The parts I am going to use, DJI Wkm, 60 amp plush, 15-20 plettenberg, JXF 14x4, 2 x 4S 8000 mah lipos, retractable landing gear, AV200, 360 pan kit, Picloc 3x pro.

My frame arrived a couple of weeks ago and I started the build slowly because I am still waiting for my motors.

What do you guys think of my harness? I used 8 awg wire and 5.5 bullets.

View attachment 1432
View attachment 1433

Attachments

• IMG_20111110_200752.jpg
    IMG_20111110_200752.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 369
  • IMG_20111110_200858.jpg
    IMG_20111110_200858.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 383

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Where are you monting esc's

I am helping on a CineStar 8 build for QC.co.uk.. we should be airbourne tomorrow.. hers a glimps of how we have done it

View attachment 1435

Me mum has been helping along on the tech stuff

View attachment 1436

Dave

Attachments

• _ACT5871.jpg
    _ACT5871.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 406
  • _ACT5881.jpg
    _ACT5881.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 263

Thanks Dave, that's how I have my esc's mounted too.

If you are using Wkm remove those rubber Isolator legs. DJI imu needs to sit firmly.

Well after many months of waiting my parts started to arrive.

View attachment 1874

View attachment 1876

Std gear about 300g
Retracts about 700g

View attachment 1875
980g

The Skyjib 8 no landing gear weighs 1200g.

Still waiting for my Picloc 3x pro and the Plettenberg 15-20. Hopefully I will get them this week so I will have some time to build it during the Christmas break.

Attachments

• 20111220_113259.jpg
    20111220_113259.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 335
  • 20111220_113405.jpg
    20111220_113405.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 265
  • 20111220_113306.jpg
    20111220_113306.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 278

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
WOW.. STOP!.. That soldering is pants.. sorry you need to get more in there and tin the pads first.. what iron are you using? Your going to need something with some wumph behind it for that size of joint

Dave