What flight controller would you chose & why?

Macsgrafs

With all the name FC's poping up, it's getting hard for a guy to keep up & actually go out & do things ;)
So I would like to know if YOU had an octocopter, what FC board would you use & why?

Looking forward to some enlightening answers!

Ross

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Ok, it depends on what I wanted to do with it!

I'd use a different board for APV vs. sport flying and potentially yet another one if all I had in mind was flying FPV.

Or you could just do like I seem to be doing lately and buy at least one of each type and build a frame to put it on. So far I have three different flavors of KK, no wait, make that 4 now, two MK FC 2.1 flight controllers with full GPS and Navi stacks on top of them, a Hoverfly Pro and a Hoverfly Sport, a CC, a Quadrino, and two Gaui 344 boxes. I think that's everything though I might have missed one or two that are currently stuffed in a box somewhere...;)

For me the MK are primarily APV use, the Hoverfly Pro pretends to be pro level APV but the reality is it isn't quite ready for prime time though it makes a darn good FPV board if nothing else and has the bonus of being able to handle a 2 axis camera mount fairly well at the same time.

Hoverfly Sport is for sport flying and I think it's an outstanding all around and backyard just fly it for the heck of it board that will do aerobatics if you're up to it. The KK are now fairly obsolete technology but the more recent ones make great aerobatic controllers. With the advent of Mike Bartons C code programming for them they are making a bit of a comeback with some advanced capabilities like the Mems gyro/GPS add-on board that Minsoo Kim has developed.

The newest versions of the Multiwii variants are getting quite plug and play as opposed to the build it yourself original versions, the Quadrino being one of the fully assembled, plug it in and fly variations with PID loop tuning capability via Gui. Useful for sport flying and FPV thanks to autoleveling, altitude hold, and mag abilities the Multiwii mimic the capabilites of some of the much more expensive boards at a fraction of the cost, generally from $100 to $150 US. Downside to these boards is you need to be a hands on type with software loading and tuning to get them to fly well, if you're comfortable with that then these are a great alternative to KK boards.

The CC IMO is inline with the Multiwii boards in terms of capability and tunability although I think the CC is a much better designed board which it should be as its purpose built rather than spawned from an idea to build an FC board from a bunch of somewhat unrelated components as the original Multiwii were.

As for the Gaui brains, what can I say that hasn't already been said! I will say this, the Gaui 330X is probably responsible for a very large number of new pilots getting into the multirotor end of the hobby as well as converting a few RC Heli pilots to a better way as well (raises hand). Not the steadiest or most robust controller to ever come along but very simple to get in the air and learn how to fly, I still have my original 330X, pre S type that I fly out in the backyard when I just feel like getting in a little stick time.

That pretty much covers my inventory and its barely a fraction of whats on the market now so lets hear about some of the other boards from the rest of you.

Ken

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Its got to be MK for the money and you dont want to be putting a Gaui on the CX now do you?

We now have a UK MK outlet so its easier to get your MK stack sorted.. Quadcopters.co.uk is also going to be offering a build service so if you aint in to soldering thats sorted!

Macsgrafs

Ken,

Now that's what I call a serious reply & for that I thank you. I get so confused with all this, I really am getting worried as to why I'm not taking everything on board at times.....I'm only 47!!!!!! Young 47 at that may I add (my fiance is 29 & she is older than me ;) )
I want a controller for APV use, something that will be very stable, not after 3D or aero setup's. I am also a heli flyer but needed something that I could hover at 150ft up without drifting all over the shop due to not being able to see the swashplate ;) ;) ;)

How do you rate the MK boards knowing what I will be using my octo for?

Dave I didnt realise that there was a yUK outlet for MK boards, so many thanks for the heads up. As regards soldering..I'm an ex army radio tech mate, so hopefully shouldnt be a problem ;) (Famous last words)

Again many thanks for the replies so far guys, it really is appreciated, my CS8 will thank you both herself when I get her airbourne.

Regards
Ross

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Ross,
Look around the internet at the various forums and try to find threads about tuning of flight control boards. you'll notice how few of them are about tuning MK boards, mine is still flying in beginner mode and i've been flying it regularly since february. they just work and will impress you for a long time to come with how stable they are.
as for the other boards i've tried XAircraft and OpenPilot's CC board. if i were in the market for a sport flyer board I'd use it as an excuse to buy an OpenPilot board as I believe they are the up and coming "thing" in multirotors.
Bart

Stacky

Yes Shawn, Rallymatt. The thread where he makes some interesting points about cameras etc is here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1417721

The thing with MK not allowing commercial use in reality isnt enforceable anywhere but Germany. Ive had jobs in Germany where I was surprised to discover you needed a licence to be a photographer. It didnt take much to sort out but it appears they need a licence for everything there. Im only a photographer for gods sake.... the hardest part of my job is taking off the lens cap, a spastic poodle on cocaine could do that.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
1 problem Dave....they dont allow commercial use :(

Ross
Neither do the CAA?
I'd rather fight MK commercial licence that the CAA.. And how will they know its being used for commercial use.. You can buy a commercial licence off them I believe..

Dave

Macsgrafs

I know what you're saying Dave, but if there is no money changing hands then the CAA cant do a thing about it! I do like MK, but I'm a bit worried about the 250mtr waypoint navigation, would have liked at least twice that range :(

Mike, good points as well. A license is a worthless peace of junk, its a legal thing & not a lawful thing (yes people there is a difference).

Ross

Macsgrafs

Ross,
Look around the internet at the various forums and try to find threads about tuning of flight control boards. you'll notice how few of them are about tuning MK boards, mine is still flying in beginner mode and i've been flying it regularly since february. they just work and will impress you for a long time to come with how stable they are.
as for the other boards i've tried XAircraft and OpenPilot's CC board. if i were in the market for a sport flyer board I'd use it as an excuse to buy an OpenPilot board as I believe they are the up and coming "thing" in multirotors.
Bart

Sory bart, almost forgot to reply to you, how rude of me!
Very true about MK boards, its very rare I see anyone complaining about them, so they must be doing something right ;)

Ross

Macsgrafs

Mk do make them.. there here..

http://shop.jet-1a.com/product_info...=1882&osCsid=e14d16ca9d259941abbc662d6e43f89c

Sure Geoff quadcopter uk can get you one ;-)

Bloody hell!!!!!! Bet they have large binoculars to see me coming ;)

Hints

• This is a kit. The SMD parts are pre-assembled, but there are still some parts left to solder for operation.
  • The max. GPS operating radius is approximately 250m around the starting point
  • Only for private, non-commercial use
  • Please note our software license before using.
Bullet point No.2...still only 250mtrs :(

Ross

Last edited by a moderator:

Macsgrafs

So if I were to go the MK route I would need the following????

Flight-Ctrl V2.1 ME
Navi-Ctrl V2
MK GPS V2.1
MK3Mag
MK USB

I have already bought a convertor board so that I can use standard ESC's instead of the MK BL-Ctrl boards (motors take 45A each at max throttle, so MK boards couldnt cope.

Is there anything I am missing from the list Dave???

Ross

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
So if I were to go the MK route I would need the following????

Flight-Ctrl V2.1 ME
Navi-Ctrl V2
MK GPS V2.1
MK3Mag
MK USB

I have already bought a convertor board so that I can use standard ESC's instead of the MK BL-Ctrl boards (motors take 45A each at max throttle, so MK boards couldnt cope.

Is there anything I am missing from the list Dave???

Ross

grab two ribbon cables for the FC to Navi connections and another for the MKUSB to FC/Navi. If you're going to be using a Spektrum/JR radio (I think Jeti is compatible as well now) buy a Spektrum diversity board so you can use more than one satellite receiver to reduce the chance of losing control/contact with the heli.

it seems that if you don't use the MK power board you've got to run battery power directly to the FC. Normally this would come from the power board via a cable with molex plugs but since there's no power board, there's no molex cable.

i'm doing a similar build in another thread if you want to get an idea of what building a' la carte involves although it sounds like you've got a handle on it.

Bart

Macsgrafs

Thanks Bart, I did forget the cables & the spektrum diversity board, it will add a touch more confidence for me ;)
I'm now trying to sort out props....I need 14 x 4.7 but where can I get pushers as well as standard tractor props?

Regards
Ross