DJI Phantom Video

Skapr1

I've been thinking about buying one and reading thru this thread and watching the video's helped me make up my mind. It should be in my hands tomorrow and will be a welcomed addition to my DJI F550. Thanks Guys!

Skapr1

FPV is also new to me and the Phantom appears to be what I "need". Payload capacity and stress is my concern.. adding another battery and osd with the tx will reduce flight time for sure and hopefully it will exceed my expectations!

There are already quite a few guys I know doing FPV with it using the FatShark and GoPro 3 which is a bit lighter.
Have you seen this vid?

Last edited by a moderator:

Skapr1

I am working on building a 550 now for video and FPV although the Phantom does both well also. With the RC mod it rips!

The DJI Phantom is in my hands...'yay.... This is the first time I saw that video, nice... I'd like to see how ppl are installing the vtx and extra battery... what's the RC mod?

I have a video posted above showing the performance mod. The 4S battery is about all that is adding to the performance.
Gain changes and running in manual mode it's just as aggressive.

This vid is with the Futaba mod.

vislaw

Beautiful mod, sir! ... Mounting the FPV cam on the battery door is brilliant! A couple questions for you or any of the other guys modding this little craft:

1) I see you added a Futaba receiver. Is it as simple as just moving the control servo cables to the receiver? Is that all it takes to be able to control this little puppy with your own transmitter? If there is more to it than that, please give me a little guidance.

2) Really appreciate you posting the video. SO helpful. I've got a little microcamera and a stinger transmitter that should work perfectly. I like how you have the transmitter antenna coming out the bottom. I assume you just made that hole with a drill?

3) I'm intrigued at the possibility of beefing up the battery power for longer flight time. Have you done any work to investigate the maximum lifting potential for the Phantom? I weigh the stock battery at 177 grams but I see a 4000mah 3S 25C LiPo at HobbyKing that only weighs 286 grams. I'd have to mount it underslung cause its a bit too big for the battery compartment but I would think that wouldn't be a problem since you can adjust the CG settings in the Naza Assistant software and I don't plan to fly the GoPro/mount. Just curious if you've investigated anything along these lines?

4) I understand the DJI IOSD won't work with the Naza so I'm thinking I'll fly the little Quanum lipo monitor since it weighs next to nothing and that way I could monitor battery status in my FPV goggles. I'm curious whether you are going to use an IOSD or other telemetry monitoring?

5) I'm an old codger of 59 so I'm going to use the Zeiss Cinemizer goggles for my FPV as they have diopter adjustment for my old eyes! I'm new to the FPV thing so it will be interesting!

Many thanks again and I look forward to learning from you and others as we play with this little devil!

Those are not my vids although I should have my Fat Shark setup late next week.
In manual mode with the gains adjusted this thing rips. I don't see a need for a different radio. Most hacked theirs before DJI released the software.
Having pots to adjust gain as you go and a gimble control may be a nice reason to upgrade but the foot-print is small for real steady video.
After adding FPV it's already over the recommended 1000gr weight.

Skapr1

Today was my maiden test hover/flight (after Compass Calibration) and I gotta say this 350 size quad is amazing!

vislaw

View attachment 8872I did a FPV mod to my Phantom today. The Iftron Stinger transmitter is very small and lightweight so it is perfect to use inside the housing. I used the tip of mounting the camera on the battery door as seen in the vid on this thread and I'm using the Bolle ski goggle mod for the Cinemizer OLED glasses. The image quality is really good. I will use the Quanum telemetry tx for now to monitor battery status until I figure out a better OSD solution.

Attachments

• PhantomFPV.jpg
    PhantomFPV.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 267

stepino

Hi,
one small qustion please: charging should start automatically when I connect the battery to the charger?

Thank you.

Skapr1

The charger turns on automatically when hooked up correctly. Make sure the switch is set to lipo and I use 2 amp charge rate. Apply power to the charger then hook the battery up (make sure polarity is correct pos to pos, neg to neg) and lastly plug in the balancing connector. Lights should come on and should flash red/reen until charge indicator turns solid green means fully charged.

vislaw

The charger turns on automatically when hooked up correctly. Make sure the switch is set to lipo and I use 2 amp charge rate. Apply power to the charger then hook the battery up (make sure polarity is correct pos to pos, neg to neg) and lastly plug in the balancing connector. Lights should come on and should flash red/reen until charge indicator turns solid green means fully charged.

I know the charge rate is specified at 2A and I'm not recommending anyone go above that. However, as an experiment I've marked my batteries and I'm charging two at 2A and the other two at 3A just to see if over time there is any degradation of performance and I'm going to start logging the length of time I save charging at the higher rate. It will be interesting to find out.

On another battery note, it looks like these Zippys fit the Phantom battery opening of the Phantom and at $8.99 look like a good deal for replacement batteries.

Hi,
one small qustion please: charging should start automatically when I connect the battery to the charger?

Thank you.

The charger has no reverse polarity protection. If you have the battery plugged into the harness and even bump the charger leads in reverse polarity, it will burn the ground strip inside. The very first time I used it I bumped the leads opposite while bringing them up to the charger. It is instant. The good news is you can take it apart and wire a automotive fuse holder in place and install a 5 amp fuse. A very poorly designed charger in my opinion.

vislaw

The charger has no reverse polarity protection. If you have the battery plugged into the harness and even bump the charger leads in reverse polarity, it will burn the ground strip inside. The very first time I used it I bumped the leads opposite while bringing them up to the charger. It is instant. The good news is you can take it apart and wire a automotive fuse holder in place and install a 5 amp fuse. A very poorly designed charger in my opinion.

Agreed. Thanks for that heads up. I use one of my regular chargers and have this one in the travel case for only occasional use.

Skapr1

View attachment 11520I did a FPV mod to my Phantom today. The Iftron Stinger transmitter is very small and lightweight so it is perfect to use inside the housing. I used the tip of mounting the camera on the battery door as seen in the vid on this thread and I'm using the Bolle ski goggle mod for the Cinemizer OLED glasses. The image quality is really good. I will use the Quanum telemetry tx for now to monitor battery status until I figure out a better OSD solution.

For now I am gonna strap my Immersion 5.8g 600mw vtx to a leg and use the flight battery balancing lead for power (using the gopro cam). If things work out then I will consider mounting it in the body!

JoshMaxAmps

Looks like a great, and very expensive, toy for some fun flying. I'm not sure who the target audience is though.

I am. I love this stuff. For an intro into Multi rotors this is great. In fact a lot of video work for the low budget stuff I do can be done with this. Not nearly as nice as some of the systems sure but a great way to go with a go pro camera. I have been drooling over different setups for a while and I just can't justify at this point investing in a larger unit. Hopefully I can start with this and work up to the bigger setups.

vislaw

Looks like a great, and very expensive, toy for some fun flying. I'm not sure who the target audience is though.

From all accounts DJI has hit a home run with the Phantom. A local dealer got a big shipment and sold out immediately and has a list of names waiting for the next. For a RTF naza-based quad complete with tx it is a good deal in my opinion.

Skapr1

Yes I agree (in my opinion) "DJI has hit a home run with the Phantom". With it's sleek look (including the bright led lights) and NAZA/GPS and RTF and gopro mount completely assembled at a decent price hooked me! And don't forget the excellent flight characteristics!