DJI Phantom Video

Can't stop the progress, but this looks pretty small! Probably a nice toy to have around the house and to take out when there is no wind. Nothing to do with workhorse drones used for aerial videography with wind velocity up to 15 mph...

Dewster

It looks pretty portable. It's small and light enough to put it where you need it. If the price is right you'll see more "drones" in the skies.

Tahoe Ed

Ok, I can say a few things now. It is a monocoque construction. The esc's are mounted inside the arms and pull dual duty and power the leds as well. All connections are soldered. There is a PPM Rx on a separate board and a power distribution board that a standard, at least it appears to be a standard, Naza is mounted on top of the Board. The GPS is naked and is mounted on the underside of the dome. That being said, I have one of the preproduction versions so everything that I say can change.

I have not flown it yet. I managed to F' up the Tx and it required that I recalibrate it. It took several days to have that procedure. I will post that procedure once the production versions are available, if I can do it I imagine that anyone can. Now I am golden. The build is as Robert at UAVProducts.com has indicated. Two screws for each landing gear leg. and two screws to attach the GoPro mount. To finish the build you need to put the Phantom sticker on and the orientation stickers on the arms. The test version that I got did not have the lipo or the charger. This is the same as the unit, I think, that Robert and Geoff and Quadcopers.UK got. Looking at the specs of the charger, it can charge up to 3A. I think that is great. I have a few 2200mAh 3S lipos that are puffy as can be. I use them to power my Ground Station. I am going to fly with them. I also have several 1000mAh lipos that are new.

The Phantom web page,
http://www.dji-innovations.com/produ...antom/overview, says that the 2200's are good for 10-15 minutes. If I can get 5-7 out of the 1000's that would be perfect for a travel quad.

I will post onboard video tonight and some exterior pictures as well. What did I do when I got it, you know, I took it apart to look at all the stuff, including the Tx. DJI does not anticipate that the target users will do that and I agree. They will charge the lipo, put 4 2A batteries in the Tx and go out and fly. It does not appear to have Manual Mode but on the Tx it has two 3 position switches for mode and IOC and Assistant shows the three modes. Until I fly it I won't know. The gains are set at 125/125/100/100 and 125/125. I think that 125 on the ATTI might be high but I don't know what expo is programed into the Tx. To get to the micro USB port requires that you take 12 screws out. DJI does not anticipate that the target user will do that. However, an experienced user will get in and play with the gains. The Tx is probably the weakest link in the whole system. However, I am jaded and fly with high end JR Tx's so take that into account.

The throttle has an notched spring. Great if you are flying planks but not so good on mulits. That said think about the target customer and the indents may not be an issue for them and may be a plus. There are two pots that are accessible from the exterior of the Tx. I am assuming that they are for adjusting the trims on the Tx. I don't think this is an end user item, but meant for the testers at DJI for fine tuning. I am so excited, it is like Christmas early and I am 10 years old. Sorry guys, but I have not seen anything like this in all the years, really not that long but the $$'s are huge, that I have been building and flying multirotors. I am planning to take some time off from work this month and go to Tahoe for some R&R. I am taking this with me. I want some snow video.

Back later tonight with some on board video.

hazardpro

Sorry just have to say...That has to be one of the worst 'promo' videos I have ever seen! Far cry from their S800 promo.

Tahoe Ed

Wait until the users start posting their onboard videos and ground shots. Geoff did that and several others have as well. This is a game changer for the newbe's. It could expand our user base by the thousands. In the US, MR's are still not welcomed at many AMA fields. I am not sure how long that can continue if they want to continue to be the driving force in RC flight.

chuckwow

Well I have today that I am not a fan of the video style. For those with the attention span of a fly maybe, the video is not pleasing to my eye.
Hopefully the device will be better than the video

Leslie LP

I think if they introduce a bind and fly version with access to the Rx module via two or more servo ports the sales will hit the roof.
At $699 thats competative with the cost of a F450 kit and Naza GPS plus battery with a 3A balance charger with a Tx. Considering all the $$ most of us early adopters have spent on our F450 and F550's this is an interesting option. It is true that this current version will not support FPV or Telemetry/GPS readout options but these do not come free either.
The only short comings on this unit will be the AA batteries for the Tx, I would switch them with some Lithium AA and keep an extra set on hand. At 300m thats not a bad range and the integrated LEDs do save a lot of work.
I can see DJI looking to offering up integrated LED arms for their existing models soon.
Can't wait to see the first post on here from actual users :tennis:

DLien

Yikes, This thing looks like it has the same DJI 10 x 4.5 props that we know and love! Maybe they they work better in white! Doesn't look like there is an easy way to replace those arms either. Just thinking ahead...

Last edited by a moderator:

flitelab

Have a couple on order. Hopefully they will be a nice mid level entry platform for new people to the hobby. Might also make a quick grab and go setup to have in the car for a quick flight or grab some video or photos. A nice all in one case would make this really slick.

Have looked into this and I must admit it offers great value for monry and I will be interested to hear some feedback/ vids.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 2

Mr_Wheels

Mine has arrived from quadcopters.co.uk

Ill have some video up soon

7AA794D4-CFAF-494C-BF7A-2A6DF2C5A3AD-456-000000378E32EEA0_zps42abe26a.jpg