DJI F450 First EVER Build

The top plate in that store is a lot different to mine, mine has 4 screws per leg in the top plate, that one has 3, plus it looks like piece sticking out of the sides where the legs meet up.

Pretty sure DJI have not changed the design, the box looks original, .

Yeah, that frame doesn't look right - I'll jump on the bandwagon. I've seen other fakes (no brass inserts, logos not quite right) but this one isn't even close.

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Yeah, that frame doesn't look right - I'll jump on the bandwagon. I've seen other fakes (no brass inserts, logos not quite right) but this one isn't even close.

My guess would be the Naza is fake too then.. They probably are not even DJI retailer.

Charlie.

Does anyone have experience with the Graupner E-props? Are they pretty well balanced out of the packaging, or do I need to spend £15 on a maglev prop balancer?

Also what is the best module and Rx for the turnigy 9XR? I hear that frysky modules work well. Is 'telemetry' basically when the receiver can send information such as battery charge an other stuff to the transmitter screen? Would need one that tells me when my battery is running low so I can land it before it drains completely.

Last edited by a moderator:

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Graupners are the business if they do the size you want. You should alway balance your props, so investing in a good balancer is highly recommended.

The Eprops usually arnt to bad but if you really know how to balance props then I would say 9 out of 10 need doing.

Dave

Charlie.

Thanks droider,

I have seen how to balance them on YouTube. Suspend them on a pole between two magnets and sand down the side which is heavier. Seems like something I think I could handle.

Does anyone know about the 9XR questions I posed in the post above?

pellen

Thanks droider,

I have seen how to balance them on YouTube. Suspend them on a pole between two magnets and sand down the side which is heavier. Seems like something I think I could handle.

Does anyone know about the 9XR questions I posed in the post above?

The FrSky module and RX does work well with the 9X at least...I'm using that. To my understanding you are right about the telemetry function. Though I don't know how much extra stuff you need to get it working. Some module on the quad that then sends data to a telemetry capable RX and then down to the TX... Easier to time your flight instead ;)

Charlie.

Thought I would restart this thread as my exams are now over (although much of my revision time was dedicated to searching for quad parts!)

Soooooo...

Decided I am probably going to pull the trigger on a DJI F450 sooner or later. Was wondering whether the TBS Discovery frame had many advantages over the stock F450 frame? I know that it has a dedicated gopro space and FPV camera mount which is nice so probably wouldn't need a gimbal if I went with that.

If I decided I didn't like the discovery frame would all I need to do be buy the top and bottom original F450 plates and not need any other parts?

Pretty much decided on these parts as well:

Turnigy 9XR -
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__31544__Turnigy_9XR_Transmitter_Mode_2_No_Module_.html

2x Zippy Compact 5000mAh 3S LiPo (only 354g) -
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__21370__ZIPPY_Compact_5000mAh_3S_25C_Lipo_Pack.html

Turnigy 6A Balance Charger -
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/..._6_50W_6A_Balancer_Charger_w_accessories.html

Graupner Electro 10x5 props -

And thinking about this module/rx combo - FrSky DJT 2.4Ghz Combo Pack for JR w/ Telemetry Module & V8FR-II RX
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...ack_for_JR_w_Telemetry_Module_V8FR_II_RX.html

POSSIBLY a GPS and Compass module as well :p

Not too sure about the module though, I want to get the best possible range so that if I upgrade to an FPV system with my GoPro I won't need to upgrade it. Does anyone else have any suggestions about this?

Does anyone have any other suggestions or necessary items I have overlooked?

Comes in at about £450 with all the above (minus the GPS module).

Thanks again guys,
Charlie

Charlie.

Yeah, I have a few laptop power supplies lying around and hopefully one will have the right output current and voltage!

Charlie.

Does anyone have any answers to the questions I posed in my post on the last page?

Need to get all this sorted so I can start buying ASAP!

Thanks,
Charlie

Charlie.

Also I have just found a GPS module for sale for £90 delivered. It has only been used once.

Is this a worthwhile deal?

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
£100 = $160, I can get a brand new one delivered for $159.00. It is £10 cheaper the one you can get, is it worth £10 to be without warranty?

Charlie.

Yeah I guess it's not worth it then. Which module and RX would be best for the 9XR transmitter (JR). The FrSky one has two way telemetry and 1.5km range for $50. Is that the best option for around that price range?

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
That is a little out of my league, If your thinking of doing FPV at some point, your going to need range. Saying that, if your going to do FPV, your also going to want the GPS mod. Radio gear, I am a futaba man and not really up on Turnigy, hope someone can butt in and give you better advice on the radio.

What ever you get, should work out pretty good, looks like you have done your research. 1 thing I can tell you about the 450 from what I have seen, distance is not something you will be doing withour FPV, figuring out the orientation from a distance is a challenge. It is scary too sometimes as you can't judge proximity to objects like trees and so forth, without being very close to it anyway.

I hope to go FPV one day, that will expand my range a lot.......