DJI F450 First EVER Build

Charlie.

Thanks again Pellen,

Do you think if I buy it RTF from quadcopters.co.uk they will do all that for me? So you only actually need one of those cables but they come as a 5?

Charlie.

Also what do the difference "C" values mean on batteries? Does a higher C just mean it can supply more of its charge at any one time? Is 20C good enough for my build?

pellen

Thanks again Pellen,

Do you think if I buy it RTF from quadcopters.co.uk they will do all that for me? So you only actually need one of those cables but they come as a 5?

Well, "ready to fly" should mean that they add such connector, but if I were in your shoes I would ask them first ;) And yes, only one is needed but they sell them in bundles of 5.

Also what do the difference "C" values mean on batteries? Does a higher C just mean it can supply more of its charge at any one time? Is 20C good enough for my build?

I'm still new at this too, but yes, higher C value means that the LiPo can supply more of its charge. 20C on a 4000mah LiPo = it can give 80A of current. The stock DJI motors can draw 12A according to a google search, so 20C should be enough...someone please correct me if I'm wrong :)

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Charlie, the only issue I see is with your charger. It does not come with a Power Supply, you can get the same chargers With a PSU for a little more.

Radio looks nice, good price too for an open source software system like that.

Charlie.

What capacity battery would you guys recommend? I was thinking either 4,000 or 5,000mAh as long as the F450 can cope with a GoPro with Gimbal and a huge battery!

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
I run a 3S 2650 Turnigy Nano-Tech with 10" Props, and my GoPro on the front of it. I get about 12 minutes flight time before I start to red light. The bigger the capacity battery, the more weight your going to add to the 450. Not sure of the weight of that gimbal, but I presume it will require a couple of servos too?

Ohh just noticed something.... It does not come with that Gimbal, it is the gear and PTZ only.... Thought it was cheap.. lol

Here is the item specs

[h=2]Product Description[/h] Package included:
- 1 x Landing skid set
- 1 x PTZ
- 4x ANTI-Vibration Rubber

this price only including the landing gear and PTZ. <<--------

Last edited by a moderator:

pellen

What capacity battery would you guys recommend? I was thinking either 4,000 or 5,000mAh as long as the F450 can cope with a GoPro with Gimbal and a huge battery!

I have two LiPo's so far, both 3S. One is 2800mAh and the other is 5000mAh. Though I don't know where the "sweet spot" is, because bigger LiPo also means more weight. I do get more flight time with the 5000mAh though...the little I have been flying so far :)

tstrike

pendejo grande
Not sure what they consider PTZ, I always thought that stood for pan tilt zoom. Get the gimbal/450 thing outta your head and just go for some of IrisArial's leg extensions and hang your gopro under it. Check out Mattspvc in the build log section, that guy's knockin it outta the park with simple builds like his vibration isolation system. I had a aeroXcraft gimbal on my 450 and it just never really produced anything that was worth the time and money. Keep it simple and just learn to fly first, don't get frozen from forum feed.

Charlie.

I run a 3S 2650 Turnigy Nano-Tech with 10" Props, and my GoPro on the front of it. I get about 12 minutes flight time before I start to red light. The bigger the capacity battery, the more weight your going to add to the 450. Not sure of the weight of that gimbal, but I presume it will require a couple of servos too?

Ohh just noticed something.... It does not come with that Gimbal, it is the gear and PTZ only.... Thought it was cheap.. lol

Here is the item specs

Product Description

Package included:
- 1 x Landing skid set
- 1 x PTZ
- 4x ANTI-Vibration Rubber

this price only including the landing gear and PTZ. <<--------

What about this one?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150965585752&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

Surely this includes the Gimbal? I have asked him and he says I can have one for £40 delivered (the one with the gimbal that says out of stock that is).

Charlie.

That is the same one you posted before. He said this comes with a Gimbal?

Yeah the one before was on a different site and only listed it as having a PTZ whatever that is.

I am pretty sure the one I linked most recently does have the gimbal like on the pictures. It says on the dropdown box "with gimbal" but it's out of stock (but I emailed them and they say they have some left).

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
For £40 delivered, it is worth a shot right? I am in the same boat as you are, I also have a small budget until I can make this earn me some. Let me know how it works out for you.... I might look into one myself..

tstrike

pendejo grande
A year ago I was exactly where you guys are now. Don't waist your money or your time with that gimbal, spend your money on more battery, more battery equals more flight time, more flight time equals more skill, more skill equals less crashing, less crashing means less money spent buying cheap chinese repair parts, less time buying cheap chinese repair parts equals more time with significant other, more time with significant other equals more zug zug, more zug zug equals happier significant other, more happy significant other equals more understanding of what you're trying to do with these "toys".

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
A year ago I was exactly where you guys are now. Don't waist your money or your time with that gimbal, spend your money on more battery, more battery equals more flight time, more flight time equals more skill, more skill equals less crashing, less crashing means less money spent buying cheap chinese repair parts, less time buying cheap chinese repair parts equals more time with significant other, more time with significant other equals more zug zug, more zug zug equals happier significant other, more happy significant other equals more understanding of what you're trying to do with these "toys".
I like where your going with this!

Would you say that this is a good battery?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__21360__ZIPPY_Compact_4000mAh_3S_25C_Lipo_Pack.html

Seems like it's got a good capacity:weight ratio. Is this a different shape to normal batteries as it's called "compact"

Can anyone else recommend another high capacity battery which has high capacity and is also relatively lightweight?

Not a bad weight for a battery, my 2650 3S is 212g. I found a good deal on eBay a while back, I bought 2 2650 Nano-Tech batteries 3S for around $55 shipped. As tstrike mentions, your going to want more than 1 battery, when they deplete on you, your going to need another. LiPo batteries need time to charge, charge them too quick and they can catch fire or you will kill the cells faster.

I get around some 12 minutes flight time on 1 battery with a GoPro mounted, and about 15 minutes without.

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Something else you will need... something pretty cheap, but you will need it to secure your batteries. Velcro, AKA: Hook and Eye tape. Get yourself a couple of feet of it, you will need it at some point as you add batteries.

Charlie.

Thanks again deanot, always helpful :)

So far my total cost is £470 all in. £10 more than a phantom but with more upgradeable parts and stability.

Delivered Costs are:

DJI F450 ARTF with NAZA - £302

Turnigy 9XR and Frsky module - £70

2x 4000mAh battery - £40

LiPo battery charger £18

Landing Gear / Gimbal - £40

And lots of little things like the velcro deanot mentioned. Do I need screw glue?

Thanks again

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Did you figure out what connectors for the battery you're going with?

Some use screw glue, some don't and would advise if you do, you could snap screws trying to remove them. If you do use the screw glue or Loctite, don't use the red, use the blue. I used some of my wife's nail polish on certain screws, like the motors.

Glad I could be of some help... :)