DJI F450 First EVER Build

rexbirk

Charlie,
For your charger power supply. I have made 5 or six of these from old pc power supplies. They work great.

The link below tells you step by step how to make one. I have bought several medium priced power supplies and used old ones from junk pc's as well. all work fine.

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/powersupply.htm

the Accucel 6 is a great charger. i have six. They charge everything I own!

Charlie.

Thanks rexbirk,

I have actually already bought all the parts for my first multicopter. Went with a DJI F550 kit from quadcopters.co.uk with the Naza + GPS module. Should be great!

My accucell 6 arrived from Hobbyking 2 days ago and I tried it with a laptop power supply which was rated at 12V and 8.5A and it seems to work (although I don't actually have any batteries yet as I ordered them from the hobbyking international warehouse!)

all I need to complete my build is a set of Graupner 10 inch electric props but I can't find both L and R anywhere here in the UK! Anyone know whete I can get a set of 6 for my hexacopter? If not are there any other props which are equally as good?

Thanks again,
Charlie

Charlie.

I bought this gimbal and landing gear from a seller on eBay for only £40 delivered:

http://www.unmannedtechshop.co.uk/gopro-gimbal-multirotor-landing-legs.html

It also comes with the F550 mounts (which I will be using) which usually cost £5 on their own and it also comes with the 2 required servos :)

It looks like a nice setup and looks very smooth from the video at the bottom of the page on the link above.

All I need now is to find some darn Graupner 10" Props!!!

Charlie.

All parts now bought :) even found some 10x5 graupners in the uk :)

Will put up some pics once all the parts come in and I get round to building it ;)

dzidris

What happened in the end Charlie?

All parts now bought :) even found some 10x5 graupners in the uk :)

Will put up some pics once all the parts come in and I get round to building it ;)

Did you ever get to build and photograph?

I read your thread with interest as I too want to build a flamewheel after disaster with a 350QX from those jokers Horizon

Charlie.

Did you ever get to build and photograph?

I read your thread with interest as I too want to build a flamewheel after disaster with a 350QX from those jokers Horizon

Hi there,

Yes finished the build early last year: http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?9069-New-DJI-F550-AP-GoPro-Build

I was happy with it for a while but then "up"graded to a Phantom 2 and H3-2D at Christmas (since upgraded to the H3-3D). Main reason was because of how much cleaner it looked, much easier to transport, super easy charging and much longer flight times, I got about 8 minutes with a 4500mah 3S on the F550 with gimbal and GoPro compared to the 18 minutes I now get with a fully loaded Phantom 2 with H3-3D, GoPro, 2.4G Datalink, ImmersionRC FPV Tx etc. The stability of the picture from the H3-3D is incredible, and to me, I don't really see much point in getting a larger rig as you can't really improve on rock-solid video unless you want to fly a bigger camera.

If you definitely want a larger quad/hex then the flamewheels are a good choice if you are on a tight-ish budget.

I was recently looking to upgrade to the new Walkera Tali H500, which is a new hexacopter 500 sized with similar looks and build of the phantom and is completely RTF including a very cool transmitter (Devo F12E) which has build in video receiver for FPV. They are quite expensive however at about £1040 if you get it from China, just have to hope you don't get stung by customs. It does however include everything you'd need, hexacopter, transmitter with built in monitor, 3 axis brushless gopro gimbal, charger, battery, 1080p camera with built in video transmitter. Walkera are also making a 3 axis gimbal for the Sony RX100 camera so it should be an easy upgrade to a larger camera in the future.

dzidris

F550

Thanks for that Charlie.
I AM on a VERY tight budget...having lost £500 with my flyaway 350QX plus Sony AS-15 action Cam!
Stupidly, I kept on saying to myself "must put a mobile number on it" during the 2 months of owning it. Never did of course
I'm not interested in FPV at all....just quality aerial video/pics, so certainly dont want flips/twists/3d flying/whatever its called.
Just nice steady video. Will look at a gimbal once I trust my build!
Main "extra" expense is a receiver that supports preset failsafe, which therefore means not using an AR6100e that I have lying around together with my DX6i
I read that 6hannels WILL fly it....but I would be too worried without RTH, or failsafe

Ivor
Nexus 30 fixed pitch
Blade Cx3
Hubsan X4
Dx6i
Loads of other stuff bought for the non-existent 350QX

Last edited by a moderator:

Charlie.

A flamewheel may be your best bet if you're on a tight budget. I would definitely recommend a Naza Flight controller as that has built in return to home on both a switch and when signal is lost with the radio.

Depending on how much you are willing to spend you can get a kit like this which has everything but a charger all assembled:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dji-S550-...-To-Fly-/111442472810?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

or you could build one yourself of course which would probably end up being much cheaper.

If you can stretch, I know it is quite expensive, but a Phantom 2 is an excellent machine, and you can upgrade to the 3-axis H3-3D gimbal when you're ready for excellent video footage (needs a GoPro 3 though).