Contest design idea for Spring, 2013 (S. Hemisphere, Fall)

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Hello everyone,

I don't have any prizes lined up yet but let's not let that stop us from designing a new contest for the Spring, 2013 flying season. For those of you in the Southern Hemisphere, that would be the Fall, 2013 season. We'll try to get the timing right so that everyone can get outside and have a go at it.

For this contest we're going to try to get the FPV crowd involved with a flying challenge. The entry will be via video but the quality of the video won't matter as much as it has with other contests.

Our resident mad-scientist Matwelli came up with a challenge using a Cricket court and some of you are having a fun time with that but it helped me to realize for this contest what the standard format would be.........a soccer, excuse me, Football field! I had been trying to figure out we could standardize on a set dimension that would be big enough for an FPV contest and Matt's idea with the Cricket layout gave me the push I needed.....I think everyone, everywhere can find a soccer/football field from which to fly.

So, here's our work for the next couple of months, we have to decide what tasks can be done successfully from an FPV perspective and then put them together for a timed challenge. I'm thinking balloons tied to a stick in the ground would have to be popped, a limbo stick of some sort would have to be flown under, there's have to be a flat out speed leg in there......what else?

Let's hear the ideas and we'll see about getting it all together.

Bart

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I was thinking balloons before I even read the whole post. So yes, popping balloons gets my vote. The problem is that everyone will set them up differently. Of course a straight line should not be an option. How about 10 balloons in a 100' diameter circle? Quickest time popping them all wins. We should ask Kloner what he wants to win first. :)

gadgetkeith

likes gadgets
balloons sounds good

how about mats idea of the figure 8 around two poles say 100 feet apart

then to spice it up abit add a limbo section between the poles say 4foot x 4foot made from bamboo canes

and also add 3 ballons at either end outside the poles must be pinned or pegged to the ground so it will be low level to pop the balloons

ie 3 laps to pop all 6 balloons 2 on each lap

not the best time but most creative way of popping the balloons

just an idea

keith

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Stick weaving!

Line of plastic antenna tubes that have to be flown in and out of like you see on the dog trials

Hoolahoop? flyhtough and landing / take off.. how crazy do we want to be? Hoolahoop on fire!

Dave

plingboot

cricket pitch, tennis court… :tennis:

saw this over at fpvhub… it's not what the splash screen might suggest btw.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

well, plingboot, that proves a lot of what I had in mind is possible. Nose-in circling around an object is a good feature to have in there as is the limbo pole. i'm not sure about the ramp slide but it's a pretty cool trick you've come up with.

bart

plingboot

Bart - not my video, it's some fella over at fpvhub.

I will be attempting this kind of hijinx once i've got a few spare props to hand…

Bartman

would any of you FPV regulars like to try flying up to and popping a balloon? you can either use your props or a sharp protrusion mounted to your heli.

Thanks,
Bart

matwelli

just a thought. don't make it too onerous to enter ( have to set up lots of stuff to complete task) try and use what's naturally available. popping balloons would be ok another easy one would be to throw a pillow case at each end and require touch in goes as part of the course.

requiring too much setup will limit entries and open too much interpretation :)

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

DennyR

I think you should include some aeros like loop, roll, and flying through some object in between.
Or just make an entertaining 3 mins of high speed skimming through a typical place that has a few difficult things to avoid. Crazy Horst style.

matwelli

how about

OVER-UNDER-THRU

flight vid must incorperate all three ?

or

OVER-UNDER-AROUND and THRU (sound like tieing shoe laces :)

maybe the vid should also include a flyby of the pilot ?

Bartman

Hello everyone,

I haven't forgotten that I offered to host another contest for the Spring/Fall (North/South Hemisphere) 2013 season. The problem is, I'm swamped so I'm here to ask if anyone would like to take on the role of Contest Director on behalf of MultiRotorForums.com.

The basic contest idea is to lay out a course within the boundaries of a soccer (doh! football outside the US) field with multiple tasks to be flown strictly via FPV (with a spotter and other safe practices, naturally :) ). Such things as straight high speed flight, agility features, precision features, etc. would have to be included for a flight that lasts about 2 minutes.

Anyone interested? Once the format is finalized we'll work on building a prize package.

Reply here or via PM and we'll get it moving.

Thanks,
Bart

kloner

Aerial DP
Would i need to fly to do it? if not, got a little time on my hands. call me today and let me know what to do

Bartman

no you wouldn't need to fly to run it. give me a call when you're up and about and we can kick it around.

kloner

Aerial DP
i'm trying to keep it so all you guys can compete, this is right up your alley.... pretty sure we got a general layout ready, will announce it the next couple weeks. it's still snowing in most areas in the north hemi. Cutoff for entries is gonna be sometime in may so we got plenty of time to practice