CS8 to X8 conversion - Herkules ESC III V3

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
now we are talking shiny and smooth and no more finger tip :)

Attachments

• photoA.jpg
    photoA.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 367
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 455

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Thanks Ovdt,

without the rollcage which i am not sure yet if i will install it, it ways 60 gramms.

But I am getting cut another version from someone else that should be 10 grams lighter. I wanted to check out who provides better quality for the future. And i am not shocked by these cnc prices, something like 80 euros inkl all material etc. He mentioned the machine ran for 18 hours :)

Last edited by a moderator:

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Please check this out. I am shi...ing a little my paint to hook a lipo up.

There shouldnt be any need to hook up a GND to the MC from the ESCs or ?

View attachment 1353

Attachments

• connections.jpg
    connections.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 517

Guys i have one questions i would love to drill a 3mm holes in on of the 450mm Carbon fiber booms of the CS 8, to have some servos cables disappear. Would you be concerned that this majorly impacts its integrity ?

Boris, the heat sink looks stunning. Very well done! As for drilling holes in the booms, I think it would be okay for all "normal" conditions but if you were to ever have a crash I think the holes would be a stress point and would allow cracking more easily than if they did not exist.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Thanks seattle_helo,

spend the whole day to fix up the herkules ESCs to finally get them on the heatsink and get the Lipo cables soldered on, rethinking it a thousand times.

Tomorrow the ESCs cables have to be finished and connected to the MC and than its good for a test spin up.

View attachment 1354

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 526

iscorama

Im also planning on building cs8, got all the parts and frame... but your build log is far most best i have seen, very inspirational, to bad i won't be able to make one just like yours...

Boris, how close to the battery plate is the top of your electronics stack? Is the clearance fine? I had to buy longer aluminum hex standoffs to accommodate the total height of the MK FC/NAV & SE OSD boards.

With the heat sink and that roll bar you have very good protection for the ESC's. Nice.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
@ Isocrma, thanks ! I think you will be very happy with the CS8 frame. Maybe a little over priced like all the frames with a marketing touch to them ( DW QC etc ). But its very solid and just an ease to put together adjust etc.

@ ovdt thanks for taking a look at it, I will fire it up today !!

Same thing here i used some plastic spacers, for the moment. I want to have a different solution though not sure yet what i am going to do.

View attachment 1360

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 518

Looks good Boris, I am sure the lapping will make a couple of degrees difference. Have you flown it yet? How does the Herkules board handles?

rwilabee

Is the CS 8 from Droidworx. I don't see it listed on their web site.

Thanks[

Rich

QUOTE=BorisS;11313]Hi,

ordered the frame kit for the CS 8 two days ago with all the recommended components including motors QC 3328 etc. full MK hardware.

I will build this to work with both FCs DJI WKM and MK: I will be switching back and forward to give my self a final impression what will be my future FC. Hoping that I can use the MK BLs distribution/board over PWM/PMM to work with the WKM.

I was actually playing for a long time with the thought of going the SJ path but after i have seen it build up right in front of me, I wasn't so down with its weight and mass anymore. Considering that I will never take up a red epic or similar but stay in the hobby semi pro area for cams, although there are vids out with the Red Epic on it.

Hopping that i can post some pics of the Parts beginning next week.

Cheerio

Boris[/QUOTE]

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
@rrhood japp i have a good feeling with this and final feeling back in my fingertips after having applied the lapping to the whole plate :)

@rwilabee no no CS 8 is not DW it quadrocopter US. http://shop.quadrocopter.us/CineStarsupsup-Revolution_c_43.html i just liked the simple approach better than the DW skyjib for example.
i think the confusion is becuase DW called the skyjib cinema series first.

Burned my PMU yesterday used the one from my hexa. Than i had some can bus error. Than my hexa didnt work at all anymore. Ups and downs at the moment. Hope to get it running tomorrow. But I already had a motor spin up today succefully !

Boris

Just to clarify, the CS6 & CS8 are actually manufactured by FreeFly Systems. Quadrocopter is a dealer and sells them in the US and their are others for Europe and elsewhere.

Boris, sorry to hear about the trouble with your hexa. Looking forward to hearing about your first flights with the CS. Hope to have mine flying in a week or so.

nick

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
great another setback ! I ripped of one of the parts from the Herkules II must have happened with the micromatch plug taking it off. Really last three days only sheid is happening on the building side. Scared of this weekend when i am going to fly my hexa about whats going to happen next !

Check out the video shows the broken ESCs totally my fault. Interesting it the sound of the motors comes with the Freewheeling feature.

all motors spinning except one, and the ESCs effected keeps on rebooting or what ever you call it when throttle goes to 0

Last edited by a moderator:

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
japp lets see how this is going to work but i think it makes sense, away from most of the interference !

Maybe Mr. Andreas Baier should sent you a free replacement since you are marketing his product to a lot of potential buyers.
Sorry to hear about your setbacks. I am sure when you make it work you will feel a huge feeling of achievement.