CS8 to X8 conversion - Herkules ESC III V3

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
weight with the cables which are to long and will be shortened is 104 grams which i not bad considering that they are able to do beyond 40a ......... FW on and cooling maybe 100A?

weight without the cables and a simple molex connection on one of them with the bullet connectors on is 34 grams.

compare this to 8 lets say plush turnigy 40A (max 55 burst) with short power cables 28 grams x 8 = 224 grams and eventually you will need some power distribution.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Anybody any concerns with the placement of the components like this ? IMU Lipo over it is a problem ? Herkules ESCs close to IMU ? Remember compass is in the GPS module.
View attachment 1181

Attachments

• BuildHerkules.pdf
    233.7 KB · Views: 526
  • BuildHerkules.jpg
    BuildHerkules.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 891

krleas

FPV Freak
Techically i see no problems. Just dont go to close to motors, becaue magnets form motor are 20-50x stronger then mag. field from lipos.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
yeah lets see maybe i will do some construction and mount the GPS over the lipo. Everything arrived today except the boom clamps for the landing gear, so i mounted it provisionally.
Its a very fast build maybe 2 hours. Carbon seems of very good quality and maybe i got lucky but for once a KIT were the producer is not stingy about the screws i got more than actually needed unbelievable :)

For now i am really happy with this frame !!!

View attachment 1198View attachment 1199View attachment 1200

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 442
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 453
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 504

krleas

FPV Freak
Hi Boris i will send u tomorrow missing boom clamps.
U will see how this baby fly.

Thanks again.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Thanks Krleas, but I will need two to three weeks to get it up and flying anyways since i will cnc a special alu plate for cooling the Herkules II. So if think you get spares in the meantime i am fine with waiting. But if you are not using the landing gear since you have the 360 on it anyways i would also be happy if you send them so me !

Thanks

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
@ EMO, pretty sure here http://www.kopterworx.com/Spares-Cinemastar/View-all-products

My whole kit is from Krleas ! Thanks once more for the fast servie Mister M. :)

Gonna change the Herkules setup and include a cooling plate. Hope to still get the Coolingplate sample today out of acrylic just to check if everything fits. Probably will change the mounts of the plate though from the standard holes to outside holes with little arms coming from the cooling fins. Think that should protect the Herkules II better in case of a crash.

View attachment 1202

Attachments

• BuildHerkulescool.jpg
    BuildHerkulescool.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 382
  • BuildHerkulescool.pdf
    241.8 KB · Views: 367
Last edited by a moderator:

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Finally have a acrylic prototype of the cooler, still needs some tweaking but it seems to come along. Thanks !!! to Gunter I have a 3D version now of the cooler which will make it easier to adjust to what i actually need.
Think though that 5mm will be to thick for the cooler lets see ! Pretty fixed on the placement of the other components not. Like the way WKM in combo with the Hekules II how much space one has left on the center plates.
Dont even want to go that road but one could redesigned the frame/center plate reducing weight etc.

View attachment 1242View attachment 1243

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 587
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 490

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Hmm will have to mount the Lipo bridge higher. Thats for sure and will have to add a roll cage for the Herkules II. If this Lipo construction brakes the lipo impact the Herkules first and i dont want that.

View attachment 1244

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 487

Borneoben

Awesome

Looks great Borris

Its great to see someone putting as much effort as you into getting things set up just right.
I dont know many other people who would bother getting an acrylic prototype part machined to make sure its all correct.

I used to do that with my Helicopter frames i used to sell to save on the carbon fibre!!
The number of people who asked me for Acrylic kits was unreal they really thought it was a great idea and wanted to fly it!

BTW its normally called a Heat Sink as opposed to cooler but we know what you mean!!

Keep up the great work.

I hope you dont mind me asking but what is your day job?
You have some serious money tied up in this hobby!!

Ben

Attachments

• IMG_2545.jpg
    IMG_2545.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 420
  • Prototype frame 2.jpg
    Prototype frame 2.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 443
  • Prototype frame 1.jpg
    Prototype frame 1.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 452

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Oh yeah heat sink :) should have known.

Ben, I am actually a real-estate developer and i was lucky to sell most of my stuff in the last years. Given the unsure times of how which market will react in the coming years i am relaxing a little bit in starting new projects. Different to the USA or some countries in Europe the realestate prices in Austria Vienna actually increased since the start of the financial or depth crisis what ever you want to call it. So i don't trust the hype. Originally the whole multi-rotor thing and starting with a MK AD 8 came up to film real estate and differ from the usual presentation developers use here in austria. Now it became a hobby or even a little to much, my friends think i am crazy :)

I think the acrylic prototyping makes sense the cost are really minimal and i have a shop 5 min car ride away from me. And its not so expensive. Costs of the parts today was 20 Euros cutting and material. Just makes sense before I bring the heat sink to a 2 axis 3 axis cnc guy and than that means cash or even more cash if something is not working out.

I am also in the lucky state to buy stuff over my company so tax dosent play a role and than i might be able to write off the costs as marketing expenses towards my profit, lets see what the reaction will be :)

Thanks for encouraging me its really fun to do this stuff. Finally some hands on for me. My work team always get nervous when i lay hands on something on the construction site :)

Boris

ovdt

Boris,

I loved the build, especially the IMU and MC parts!! :)

I think the placement of IMU is somehow important for W-M configuration. I have set the distances from the center in W-M tool but I still have unwanted yaw movement.

I look forward your videos, how it flies..

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Japp especially the IMU and MC parts are very very important, and even more the Letters on it, so i can distinguish which is which, :)

Just three quick things concerning your yaw issue.

1. Compass in the GPS modul, Gps modul mounted on the rod results in a negative number in the config tool ?

2. Sure the little red arrow of the gps module is face forward ?

3. I bet you did already play around with the basic gain settings for Yaw, 100% default setting shouldnt allow this behavior.

Boris