CS8 to X8 conversion - Herkules ESC III V3

Boris, that is good to hear. I'll be very curious to hear your temps at load. Just for reference, this past week I was doing tests with my CS8 at an AUW of 6.4kg. Max ESC temps (MK Bl-Ctrl's) was 74°C. Average was in the mid 60's. I was impressed. Your Herkules with the heat sink should be even better.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Great to Hear BorisS! In your mind what is the major advantages to the HerKules II set up vs. Hobbywing 40A ESC's? One concern I have is availability of the HerKules should something go wrong. I look forward to the videos. Also what are the temp ratings? Cheers.

I cant give you the technical reasons just the marketing side that seems to be true up to now. They just have less power loss than normal ESCs, thus less heat is generated. They give you burst up to 55 a which none of the other I2C Bl CRTls will give you. There response time is not met by any of the other ESCs, cant find the number at the moment.

Compared to a normal ESC setup you have a big weight reduction. No distribution ring needed and they weight 35g, as much as one standard ESC. I big benefit you shouldnt forget you can use both i2c and ppm, giving you options to switch FCs etc.

Of coarse there is the question what happens if one Unit on the board dies. Up to now Andreas and Sebastian exchange or repair units that might have a problem, this also a higher price since the service is included, but check on that with who ever would sell them to you.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
krleas if you find the time report you finding back to andreas, he is a little sad that he is getting little response from peopel using the Herkules he want to hear these stories and take in the info what people achieve with his ESCs, if you havent done it yet.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
temp A draw flight times etc. I will be able to report some time next week when my sensors arrive.

I will also change some wiring. I don't want to gold connectors to be directly on the Herkules anymore. I prefer the cable directly and than connectors. And i have to connect one of the GND to the MC. First i was told not to now we change or minds and will do it for safety reasons.

At the same time I expierenced a AD 8 with MK AXI edition / 14 running on 6s with the herkules damm that thing take off !!! And i have never seen a MK perform so good in its own downwash when coming down. Dont know if its true but i think it has something to do with the speed of the motors being regulated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Siteline

Thanks so much for the quick reply's Boris, I'm sure a lot of thought went into your purchase! I'm looking forward to some more info and seeing video results as they come. If I am interested how does one get there hands on a Herk?

And i have to connect one of the GND to the MC. First i was told not to now we change or minds and will do it for safety reasons.

Boris,

I can only hope that perseverance will pay in the end as it did for you.
So far i get no throttle response.
Without or with the ribbon ground connected.
I am starting to suspect faulty programming.
Do you mind sharing a little how you have managed to program your boards. I couldn't find any reference to PPM programming anywhere.
I got mine RTF from Digitech.NL since they seem to be the only ones offering it as such, because i didn't want to take any chances frying anything.
I have made some victims in the past of MK ESC's.

Veni, Vidi, Vici!

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
andrebandre what firmware did sandor play on it did he say something ? PPM I2C timing etc ? please also post a picture of the setup !

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast

Attachments

• IMG_1826.jpg
    IMG_1826.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 472
  • IMG_1828.jpg
    IMG_1828.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 427
  • IMG_1832.jpg
    IMG_1832.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 449

Beautiful work Boris! What size props are those? They look smallish 12"???

Also just a suggestion but I would ditch the 6mm nuts you currently have on the motors for 6mm nyloc nuts. This will make sure you never have one come loose in flight (ask me how I know! ;) )

Tabb

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Tabb thanks !!

and thanks for the advice. I experienced similar yesterday doing some performance test with the Herkules ESCs on the ground the clockwise/coutnerclockwise dont remember :) props/nuts tend to loosen. Will get some tomorrow !

Boris

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
ah sorry japp 12 0n them for now will test different props. Being at Andreas Baiers places yesterday he told me that doing all his performance tests he is actually getting best results with 12". But i will be testing them all in the next couple days. Knowing that that the WKM setup prefers light props i am a little worried about the 14 APC but we will see.

And i want to run the system at 6s the next couple days and than again i am worried about the 12 ".

andrebandre what firmware did sandor play on it did he say something ? PPM I2C timing etc ? please also post a picture of the setup !

Andreas Baier's opinion is that there is no firmware loaded.
Sandor supposedly configured it for PPM.
I tried the ESC connected directly to a Rx.No go.
I tried a lot of things just to make sure there isn't any fault with the Rx , or with the WK-M FCM output, tried different radios.
Unfortunately for me although ordered i didn't receive the cable to connect the ESC to the PC so it will be another week till i get it in order to be able to check if there is any firmware flashed and try to fix it.

Attachments

• IMGP0084.jpg
    IMGP0084.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 406
  • IMGP0088.jpg
    IMGP0088.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 301

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
andre do the blue leds go on when on the Herkules when you have it hooked up to power and have the receiver connected ? By the way do you have a servo tester ?

Boris

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
gonna try my 14 4 next since they are 3 grams lighter than the APCs and offer less surface to the wind lets see. Will he half a days work to get them balanced close to perfect :)

View attachment 1472

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 325

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
actually pretty happy about the weight situation, AV 130 and everything else on except lipo and cam

2880 grams gonna be testing 6s 8000 mah Zippy lipos 1200 grams, leaving me another 1000 grams to reach 5 KG

View attachment 1474

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 347

andre do the blue leds go on when on the Herkules when you have it hooked up to power and have the receiver connected ? By the way do you have a servo tester ?

Boris

Let just say this: you are more help than either Sandor or Andreas.
Yest all 4 blues lights come on and everything looks normal as far as the hardware and getting power is concerned.
The opinions are different though about PPM being present.
About timing and switching frequency i dont know the exact numbers but i did ask for low timing high freq.And the freewheeling on.
Bellow is Andreas's reply and Snador's about the matter;Hello Victor,

didn’t flash Digitech already your firmware in?
It seems that you have not the PPM Firmware on the Boards.
See on my HP how to flash the right firmware.
http://www.andreasbaier.de/index.php/en/herkules-2/herkules2-firmware-a-programming

If you don’t succeed, please contact your distributor for the firmware.

Best regards,
Andreas

well if the blue leds go on it means there is software inside them.
the aknowledge beep is there to show that it is ok , but you must hear also a welcome series of beeps that
aknowledge the presence of ppm signal.
and that is not the casein your case.
so we must sort in what is wrong.
i will try to program another today , and put on a servo signal generator to see if i get the same issue as you have
wil keep you informed
we will sort it out dont worry

Thank you and met vriendelijke groet, kind regards, mit freundlichen Grüßen, distinti saluti, salutations distinguées, med venlig hilsen, cordiales saludos, pozdrawiam, الاحترام , xie xie nin, zaijian

Sandôr Kruise

And a PS from me.
And as far as programming is concerned i don't quite understand, there is the I2C programming, like giving each motor an adress just like in the MK ESC's programming that it is explained on the Herkules site but no PPM programming which i imagine should to a different thing.
It is the WK-M FC that controls the motors through the M1 to M6 otputs, i am really in the dark here about the programming the Herkules.
Maybe i just dont get it, like the didn't with the MK fine tunning.
Anyway thank you from the heart for trying to help when you have plenty on your own plate to sort out.
I'm far from being at the end of my wits so i'll try to get a OEM cable first and if that fails i may have to try and build my own.
Thank you again for taking so much trouble on my account.

Andrei