CS8 to X8 conversion - Herkules ESC III V3

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Hi,

ordered the frame kit for the CS 8 two days ago with all the recommended components including motors QC 3328 etc. full MK hardware.

I will build this to work with both FCs DJI WKM and MK: I will be switching back and forward to give my self a final impression what will be my future FC. Hoping that I can use the MK BLs distribution/board over PWM/PMM to work with the WKM.

I was actually playing for a long time with the thought of going the SJ path but after i have seen it build up right in front of me, I wasn't so down with its weight and mass anymore. Considering that I will never take up a red epic or similar but stay in the hobby semi pro area for cams, although there are vids out with the Red Epic on it.

Hoping that i can post some pics of the Parts beginning next week.

Cheerio

Boris

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm building my CS8 now. I'll be following your progress closely regarding the WKM. In my case I'll be using an Epic and maybe even heavier (pushing it, I know) so it will be intriguing to hear your thoughts on how the two systems interface and compare.

nick

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I will be switching back and forward to give my self a final impression what will be my future FC. Hoping that I can use the MK BLs distribution/board over PWM/PMM to work with the WKM.

I dont think it will work well if at all. Geoff at QC.co.uk has already tried it.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
ups my reply was never posted. Do you mean the MK BLs dont work or big birds with the WKM ? I also have a different option i will announce that though once i have them in my hands !

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Just got a green light and i will be testing Herkules II with the CS once with MK and WKM, really looking forward to these controllers !!!

Not hundert prozent sure yet, but a clever build up with these controllers could allow me to hot swap between MK and WKM on the CS in a short time. As far a I understand only the micomatch connector has to be once pluged into the FC from MK or micromatch connector to ESCs cable connecting to the MC from WKM. Lets see.

http://www.andreasbaier.de/index.php/en/herkules-2

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
10+ pages of how to solder and configure the ESC! Maybe it's not as complex as it looks. Nice to see a step forward like this though. I am sure every bit of confidence is worth it.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
finally have these babies, gonna spend some time configuring them today. Really looking forward to these !

View attachment 1159

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 802

plingboot

they look interesting - make for a nice clean build too - i assume you're stuck with multiples of 4 motors?

can i ask how much?

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Not sure what you mean with multiples of 4 motors sorry my english is not that good, although it should be after 10 years on an international school :)
But I guess you mean that i will need two boards for a Octo and one boards equals 4 ESCs

These are i think still test boards or a pre release of the final version not sure. Price at the moment are based on personal arrangement, i don't want to comment on it since i don't know what the actual price will be.

But write andreas baier a mail he is a nice guy.

Boris

plingboot

sorry, i probably wasnt clear, i was going the long way around asking if they could be used for a hexa. ie two boards, one using all four uotputs, the other using just two outputs?

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
jappp that works, or 2 boards three connections etc. lets see just trying to flash them how they will perform

ZAxis

sorry, i probably wasnt clear, i was going the long way around asking if they could be used for a hexa. ie two boards, one using all four uotputs, the other using just two outputs?

Its all explained on the web site, makes an interesting read. Any configuration is possible with a useful bit of redundancy for a hexa.

http://www.andreasbaier.de/index.php/en/herkules-2/herkules2-firmware-a-programming.

It looks very well thought out and if the price is good a tidy alternative to the standard MK stuff.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
puh, alle bullets soldered flashed to ppm 24 DEG and Free Wheeling on, gona finish the cables for the actual Singnals and than I hope finally my CS 8 kit will arrive.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 583
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 556

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
puh, alle bullets soldered flashed to ppm 24 DEG and Free Wheeling on, gona finish the cables for the actual Singnals and than I hope finally my CS 8 kit will arrive.

Don't you just hate waiting for stuff? It drives e crazy!

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
has its positive and negative sides, although only one positive. If Id have everything here i would probably be doing 5 things at once and not concentrating on one thing.

ovdt

Boris, I'm very excited to see the results of your setup. If Herkules II works with DJI W-M much better than standart ESCs, I'll be very glad.

Wow! Can't wait to see how this performs. The Bullet connectors on the ESC are a nice touch, very pro / industrial installation.

Tabb

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
2 x cat 7 shielded 4 x servos silicon cables coming from the herkules II (micromatch connector) to the WKM MC , for the ESCs signals. Not sure if the shielding really makes a difference but at least i have a rock solid connection/cables. Eventually the cables with split up into 4 shielded servo cables until the futuba male servo plug.

View attachment 1177View attachment 1178View attachment 1179

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 599
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 633
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 682