AV200 + brushless

Av8Chuck

I'm about ready to take the plunge and convert my av200 to a brushless system. which do you guys prefer the alexmos or glock? I have no experience with the glock.

I plan to put a Canon 5d, 7d and Red Epic Camera on this gimbal.
for the red I will need that bracket I see on the photohigher website. not sure where to buy it.

I can't speak for the AV200 conversion but I've used the Alexmos controller on another gimbal and although I've had fairly good results with it at times and I can usually fix whatever problems I might have encountered, a small shutter or the horizon being slightly off in post, I never get that "I'm glad I'm using this controller" feeling. I have not been able to set it up and leave it that way, I'm always having to tweak the settings.

I don't expect these things to be plug-n-play, that would be nice, but I do expect that after I've spent hours balancing and tuning it performs pretty much the same every time and that just hasn't been my experience.

I don't mind spending a bit more money for a different controller, like the GLock, but I'm skeptical that doing so would solve this problem. Maybe this is just the state of gimbal controllers for the moment and they wont be that usable until the next generation There are certainly users who rave about the open source controllers but if your not contributing and very involved with its development then I find that keeping up and implementing all the changes to get a good working gimbal very frustrating.

So I guess its a trade off, how much is your frustration worth? And does spending more money on something other than an open source controller address your frustration? Plus what also adds a bit to the confusion is that some of the controllers that claim to work better are variations of the Alexmos or Martinez controllers anyway.

Sorry, this does little to help answer your question, just venting.

rilopez825

Av8Chuck I appreciate your write up. I to use the alexmos but on a smaller level. a Team black sheep discovery pro. but I am blinded by the fact that Team Black sheep may have done a wonderful job of tuning and tweaking this thing to make it what it is. wonderful.
Is your system a Direct drive brushless or indirect drive brushless, although this should not make a difference in the issue your having of consistency.
I have had the same issue with another controller but for a servo driving system. this is why I am looking to make a change and make it at least frustrating as possible.

My end goal is to be able to fly a red or Canon 5d. Currently flying just a 5D.

Av8Chuck

If your already using an alexmos controller then you know what to expect. If your flying a GoPro then chances are your out on your own capturing footage as a hobby or for Real estate etc, if your flying a 5D or Red then your probably flying as part of a project with others where you need to be focused on getting the right aerial shots. The last thing you need to be doing is trying to figure out why it isn't level after initializing etc., or any number of small things that I've been plagued with.

I'd also like to know what controllers people are using with their larger gimbals. The one I associate the most with larger gimbals is the FreeFly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5TXKKosMmU
It would be nice to hear more about the GLock.

jes1111

Is your system a Direct drive brushless or indirect drive brushless, although this should not make a difference in the issue your having of consistency.
On the contrary - IDD will be much more forgiving since the gearing gives you an "excess " of torque, therefore precise settings won't be so critical to results. This would benefit either Alexmos or G-Lock.

Overall, though, I'm fairly certain that the G-Lock/Radian will turn out to be a much better solution for professional work. Not much hard evidence for that yet - Droiders' tests are "mixing" the definite IDD advantage with the probable G-Lock advantage), so it's just a feeling ;)

One thing I'm curious about - the Movi: is that using Radian(s) or did Freefly come up with something new from elsewhere?

rilopez825

Av8Chuck that video was nice but all shot in slow mo. I would like to see it in regular motion as it shows unwanted movement more.
from the looks of it, I didn't see any but still would of been nice to see in regular speed.
I am guilty of shooting something at 60fps then slowing it down to get a nice movement out of it. to achieve this we really have to get the heli going fast.

jes1111
user-offline.png
I completely agree with you and this was why I wanted to go with an IDD. the motors can only be so precises. lowering the ratio will only allow for more fine movements, and the ratio isn't so aggressive that the motors will have plenty of torque and speed to overcome any movement the heli makes. I already made the order for the gimbal and SimpleBGC 3 axis controller.
first hurdle will be to upgrade gimbal for the 5d. second upgrade will be getting the carboncore Cortex to have more lift and time for the red.

Hi guys! Im still dubitative about purchasing the upgrade:dejection:
Any solid advice on brushles combo for 5D??
Chears!

CineRebel

HI Guys,

I am having a little bit of hardtime setting up my AV200 IDD with the alexmos controller. I cant find out the number of poles. Have anyone tried this combo yet?

Cheers ..

Mojave

Kopterworx is selling for a week now, upgrade brushless kit for AV200, all 3 axis with maxton motors...
http://kopterworx.com/3-axis-av200-brushless-conversion-kit.html

I am a bit confused about the AV200 IDD. Do these items from PhotoHigher have 3 motors preinstalled on them: AV200 IDD 360 Pan Kit (001-0060), plus AV200 IDD 2 Axes Brushless Gimbal Assembly (000-1010)? If so are they likely to be maxton motors?

I am trying to figure out if I should purchase directly from PH items 001-0060 and 000-1010 -or- get the old unupgraded pan kit and 2 axis gimbal and the kopterworx kit mentioned above and do the upgrade myself.

kloner

Aerial DP
yes, just no alexmos or your choice of control boards. these have maxtor motors like zenmeuse uses. to the best of my knowledge you have never been able to get any av200 brushless or servo based that came without any of that stuff. you can get a crash kit or the whole enchilada, nothing inbetween. it is a nice dslr gimbal, super light

mrpink

HI Guys,

I am having a little bit of hardtime setting up my AV200 IDD with the alexmos controller. I cant find out the number of poles. Have anyone tried this combo yet?

Cheers ..

Hi!
Finaly some with same problem. I try to do best setup on AV200 IDD 3-axis, but, Alexmos in Auto-tune mode give a diferent info about pole-numbers every time.
I think, its a bigest problem in setup procedure. All other things looks good. I put a post about it on PH forum, but no answer a few week. If someone knows something more about Maxton specification and AV200 setup, please tell us!
Rgds!

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Hi!
Finaly some with same problem. I try to do best setup on AV200 IDD 3-axis, but, Alexmos in Auto-tune mode give a diferent info about pole-numbers every time.
I think, its a bigest problem in setup procedure. All other things looks good. I put a post about it on PH forum, but no answer a few week. If someone knows something more about Maxton specification and AV200 setup, please tell us!
Rgds!

They are Maxton motors and the description is 8 pole pairs.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I am a bit confused about the AV200 IDD. Do these items from PhotoHigher have 3 motors preinstalled on them: AV200 IDD 360 Pan Kit (001-0060), plus AV200 IDD 2 Axes Brushless Gimbal Assembly (000-1010)? If so are they likely to be maxton motors?

I am trying to figure out if I should purchase directly from PH items 001-0060 and 000-1010 -or- get the old unupgraded pan kit and 2 axis gimbal and the kopterworx kit mentioned above and do the upgrade myself.

You can get the complete gimbal with the brushless conversion from PH either 2 or 3 axis. They come with Maxton motors and modified drive system all ready to add controller to.

Dave

jes1111

In the Basecam GUI, for "NUM.POLES" enter the number of magnets (as Droider says, should be 8 for a Maxon motor) multiplied by the gearing ratio for that axis. So, for example, for 8 poles at 10:1 gearing, you would enter 80. Not sure if "pole pairs" is the same as "poles", so the value for Maxon might be 16 - anyone?

EDIT: I just Googled it - "8 pole pairs" mean 16 poles :) - so the example above would be 16x10=160

Last edited by a moderator:

mrpink

In the Basecam GUI, for "NUM.POLES" enter the number of magnets (as Droider says, should be 8 for a Maxon motor) multiplied by the gearing ratio for that axis. So, for example, for 8 poles at 10:1 gearing, you would enter 80. Not sure if "pole pairs" is the same as "poles", so the value for Maxon might be 16 - anyone?

EDIT: I just Googled it - "8 pole pairs" mean 16 poles :) - so the example above would be 16x10=160

thank you for your help. I try it tomorow! Best regards!

mrpink

How did it go?

Dave
Hi!
I think-its good! With 160 poles on roll and 64 poles on tilt and pan axis I found good setup for Sony CX730 camera. But with Canon 5D MkIII and 50 mm objectiv I have a trouble with COG. I cant move 5D enough to the side (oposite of pitch motor), to find good position. Maybe at extreme right is possible, but than cant connect HDMI or AV cable to cammera. I think, maybe with larger lens, but I dont need it...

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Hi!
I think-its good! With 160 poles on roll and 64 poles on tilt and pan axis I found good setup for Sony CX730 camera. But with Canon 5D MkIII and 50 mm objectiv I have a trouble with COG. I cant move 5D enough to the side (oposite of pitch motor), to find good position. Maybe at extreme right is possible, but than cant connect HDMI or AV cable to cammera. I think, maybe with larger lens, but I dont need it...

Good stuff. Glad you got it working

Dave