AV200 + brushless

Macsgrafs

Hi fellow addicts,
It's been a while since I last posted on here, been busy getting married (3rd time lucky) ;)

So I'm off on honeymoon to Germany & then a mega airshow in Austria called Airpower (Zeltweg) & when I come back a few more airshows then back to my MR (SJ8).
I'm wanting to convert my current useless RSGS & AV200 with the Alexmos type of brushless setup, has anyone managed to do this yet? I normally carry a canon 40D (7D as well now) & a Sony PJ760VE video cam, though not all at the same time ;)

I'm so far out of touch & only been away about 1 month, so if anyone can get me up to speed it would be very much appreciated.
What do I need to convert over?
What motors do you think I would need?

A few pics from my big day ;)

Myself & 2 best men (I'm the old grey haired geezer) enjoy the buttonholes guys ;)
View attachment 12423

My beautiful wife
View attachment 12424

My wife & my youngest son
View attachment 12425

The cake ;)
View attachment 12426

Attachments

• best-men.jpg
    best-men.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 469
  • bride-groom.jpg
    bride-groom.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 490
  • bride-son.jpg
    bride-son.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 498
  • wedding-cake.jpg
    wedding-cake.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 414

Efliernz

Pete
Mate - jealous of Zelweg... :upset:

Beautiful wife as well - but I'd never trade mine in...

While we see brushless "save the world" solutions everywhere, I think they are still a way off being useful for large cameras.

Pete

Macsgrafs

Mate - jealous of Zelweg... :upset:

Beautiful wife as well - but I'd never trade mine in...

While we see brushless "save the world" solutions everywhere, I think they are still a way off being useful for large cameras.

Pete

Hi Pete,

don't be jealous of Zeltweg...the mig29, both su22's & now the F18 have all cancelled!!!!
Glad to hear that you wouldn't tyrade your mrs in, you obviously have the right one...top man.

I have a friend on facebook called Tom, lives about 80 miles from me & he's got a 7d on a direct drive brushless gimbal, in fact he';s going to market the whole thing...but its for the cinestar :(

so does anyone know eher I can get the controller board & motors..that's in stock of course ;)

Regards
Ross

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I think the problem you'll find is the brushless controller gimbals are designed to be used as direct drive mechanisms. The AV series are gear driven on the roll axis and belt on the tilt, easy enough to convert the tilt to be direct drive, but the problem is the roll axis conversion. As far as I know the controller doesn't have the logic built into it to be able to handle a gear drive system so short of a complete redesign of how the roll cradle moves I'm not sure it's a practical conversion to do on an AV series gimbal.

A Cinestar gimbal on the other hand only needs mounts and attachments fabricated for the brushless motors to be attached directly to the spindles for each axis, a far easier conversion. If I had the time to tinker I'd merge one of my brushless with the older AV130 I have and see what happens, unfortunately spare time is in short supply for the foreseeable future so I have to leave it to someone else to try and make an AV go brushless. If it's possible that would be great news, otherwise I own a couple of expensive paperweights that look like camera gimbals... :rolleyes:

Ken

jcmonty

I think the problem you'll find is the brushless controller gimbals are designed to be used as direct drive mechanisms. The AV series are gear driven on the roll axis and belt on the tilt, easy enough to convert the tilt to be direct drive, but the problem is the roll axis conversion. As far as I know the controller doesn't have the logic built into it to be able to handle a gear drive system so short of a complete redesign of how the roll cradle moves I'm not sure it's a practical conversion to do on an AV series gimbal.

A Cinestar gimbal on the other hand only needs mounts and attachments fabricated for the brushless motors to be attached directly to the spindles for each axis, a far easier conversion. If I had the time to tinker I'd merge one of my brushless with the older AV130 I have and see what happens, unfortunately spare time is in short supply for the foreseeable future so I have to leave it to someone else to try and make an AV go brushless. If it's possible that would be great news, otherwise I own a couple of expensive paperweights that look like camera gimbals... :rolleyes:

Ken

Reduction drive is really no problem at least with Alexmos. You lose a bit of reaction speed, but the holding torque you gain is a huge benefit. Both of my brushless gimbals have reduction on roll, where the real benefit is, and direct on tilt. I am also testing a reduction with a large 5208 on pan

That being said, I am not sure about the AV200. In theory, it should ok, but I haven't seen anyone try it. We have one, and I was considering changing it over, but decided to make our own rather than switch it over.

xerofly

Hi fellow addicts,
It's been a while since I last posted on here, been busy getting married (3rd time lucky) ;)

So I'm off on honeymoon to Germany & then a mega airshow in Austria called Airpower (Zeltweg) & when I come back a few more airshows then back to my MR (SJ8).
I'm wanting to convert my current useless RSGS & AV200 with the Alexmos type of brushless setup, has anyone managed to do this yet? I normally carry a canon 40D (7D as well now) & a Sony PJ760VE video cam, though not all at the same time ;)

I'm so far out of touch & only been away about 1 month, so if anyone can get me up to speed it would be very much appreciated.
What do I need to convert over?
What motors do you think I would need?

A few pics from my big day ;)

Myself & 2 best men (I'm the old grey haired geezer) enjoy the buttonholes guys ;)
View attachment 15750

My beautiful wife
View attachment 15751

My wife & my youngest son
View attachment 15752

The cake ;)
View attachment 15753

hi,
the day you find one for AV200 pl let me know...I wanna dump this

DennyR

Reduction drive is really no problem at least with Alexmos. You lose a bit of reaction speed, but the holding torque you gain is a huge benefit. Both of my brushless gimbals have reduction on roll, where the real benefit is, and direct on tilt. I am also testing a reduction with a large 5208 on pan

That being said, I am not sure about the AV200. In theory, it should ok, but I haven't seen anyone try it. We have one, and I was considering changing it over, but decided to make our own rather than switch it over.

Been running 4:1 and 5:1 indirect brushless drives on my DSLR gimbal's and not planning to change.

ZAxis

Ross ....

Even PhotoHigher have given up on a brushless AV200 and they are the experts :highly_amused::highly_amused::highly_amused:, there's no mention of it on their web site now.

andy

jcmonty

Been running 4:1 and 5:1 indirect brushless drives on my DSLR gimbal's and not planning to change.

Same here. just tested our big 3-axis one in the desert (15mph winds + gusts) and it's solid. Just need to work some isolation issues and I think that the AV200 is going in the attic

Macsgrafs

Ken
hahahahahaha love the paperweights Ken, want another av200 to add to that collection ;)

Thanks for the info ;)

hi,
the day you find one for AV200 pl let me know...I wanna dump this
I'm still looking :(

Ross ....

Even PhotoHigher have given up on a brushless AV200 and they are the experts :highly_amused::highly_amused::highly_amused:, there's no mention of it on their web site now.

andy
Thanks Andy, seems like I spent over £1000 for nothing...gutted :(
how'd ya manage that fine catch mac daddy? Shes a keeper, cakes great!!!
Well I've been with that young lady for 15 years now, she loves RC & real full size stuff...her filming at RIAT this year with our sony pj760 put the pro's to shame..the reds with the new BA airbus 380 was out of this world. The cake was great, the lady who made it for us was our best mans mother & that was the last time I saw her husband alive! sadly he died 3 weeks ago & yesterday was his funeral, so sad....he had another chance at life but didn't want to put his family through all the after care he would have needed, so he thought of his family when at deaths door, what a hero. Top man, sadly missed as he was the most laid back guy you could ever wish to meet. (Why won't my enter key work) :(

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Now its ready. and with the G-LOCK and BLD drivers its the dogs jobber! AND three AXIS

More very soon.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast

I have put this video together coz here in the UK right now the weather is just bloody awful.

This set up has so much potential over the direct drive systems out there. The G-Lock and BLD units make this one of the most versatile and lightest solutions for this class of gimbal.
Love it and cant wait to get out and fly it with the new firmware.

Kopterworx is selling for a week now, upgrade brushless kit for AV200, all 3 axis with maxton motors...
http://kopterworx.com/3-axis-av200-b...rsion-kit.html

Carvec systems available from www.carvec.co.uk there is a discount on the G-Lock conversion at the moment so if you have a spare single axis radian kicking about you can make it a three axis at a 20% discount..

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

darekbo

Hi thanks for that movie !!! I see on it a little vibration in roll axis. Do you think the roll settings are fast enough ?
I am waiting for flight test, because that's totally different environment.

Last edited by a moderator:

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Hi thanks for that movie !!! I see on it a little vibration in roll axis. Do you think the roll settings are fast enough ?
I am waiting for flight test, because that's totally different environment.

Aye.... On roll! If there is any it's on tilt coz the wheel is hand cut. Everything on the set up is pre production. Please. feel free to post anything that's better AND show it raw like this footage is including the shots of the gimbal and from the gimbal at the same time. When the production stuff comes and I fully get my head round the software I'll post again in the work shop but next the live testing in the real world of flying.

Dave

rilopez825

I'm about ready to take the plunge and convert my av200 to a brushless system. which do you guys prefer the alexmos or glock? I have no experience with the glock.

I plan to put a Canon 5d, 7d and Red Epic Camera on this gimbal.
for the red I will need that bracket I see on the photohigher website. not sure where to buy it.

iceman

I'm about ready to take the plunge and convert my av200 to a brushless system. which do you guys prefer the alexmos or glock?

+1 Same here, would be interested to see what others think of Alexmos/Glock with AV200. Glock works out quite expensive in comparison to Alexmos!