Any insight

baker55

I had a very bad crash a few weeks ago. I have a ADL 6. The flight started out like any other, I was flying in manual taking some shots with my gopro. About 2-3 minutes into the flight and about 60ft high and 150-200ft away I decided to bring it back. At that point as I pulled back it sped up and I lost control. After a long loop from east to south I decided to turn the gps on and see if I could bring it home. I guess I wasn't patient enough and it was just too far away to see what it was doing. That was it. I managed to find it over 1/2 mile away...very badly damaged. Any insight. One question if I would have let it come home would it have come back to where I started it? Shaun

baker55

here is just before and just after I lost control.

Attachments

• GOPR1322.jpg
    GOPR1322.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 301
  • GOPR1319.jpg
    GOPR1319.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 186

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I had a very bad crash a few weeks ago. I have a ADL 6. The flight started out like any other, I was flying in manual taking some shots with my gopro. About 2-3 minutes into the flight and about 60ft high and 150-200ft away I decided to bring it back. At that point as I pulled back it sped up and I lost control. After a long loop from east to south I decided to turn the gps on and see if I could bring it home. I guess I wasn't patient enough and it was just too far away to see what it was doing. That was it. I managed to find it over 1/2 mile away...very badly damaged. Any insight. One question if I would have let it come home would it have come back to where I started it? Shaun

The short answer is if all was working correctly it should have returned to the point where the motors were started assuming you had a GPS lock when you took off. If the reason why it went AWOL in the first place was due to some sort of hardware failure or software error then there's no way to know if it would have actually come home when you hit the switch.

Do you or did you have a memory card in the Navi board? If you did post the log file from that flight so I can take a look at it and see if there's anything that shows up in the file.

Ken

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Shaun
Is it possible that you were disoriented and that when you thought you were flying back you were actually making it fly farther away?
Thanks for confirming how the GPS works Ken. I get it mixed up with some of the XAircraft stuff I read from time to time.
Bart

baker55

no Bart that is what makes it so hard to pinpoint because it was flying away and would not respond. I have a sd card in and do have the files will try to upload them.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I took a quick look and I can see that position hold was on from the moment it took off, or at least the Navi Control is reporting that. I can see where you went from P/H to come home and it pretty much just ignored it and kept on going until finally it lost the signal from the TX and went down reporting error code RC Signal Lost. What I do see is the flags for the Navi Control changing a lot during the flight, what that means I don't know at the moment, I'm about to call it a day and head for bed, I'll look closer tomorrow.

So we have one answer at least, come home would not have brought it back, it shows as being in C/H mode and didn't even try to go back to the starting position.

What versions of firmware do you have?

Ken

Macsgrafs

Thats very tragic, to lose such a great ship in this way! How far would you say your AD6 was from you when it all went wrong?

Ross

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
You might have seen this but 2:03:15 lost signal ?

The flyaway happened well before that, the loss of signal occurred when it flew out of signal range which then caused it to go down. If anything the emergency gas and throttle settings need to be raised so it doesn't fall quite so fast, that might have lessened the damage a bit as it would have come down a lot slower with higher settings.

Diversity board wouldn't have helped, it was a good distance away when it lost signal. If anything having the diversity board would only have allowed it to go farther before loss of signal and crashing making it that much harder to find.

From what I'm seeing it looks like a problem with the Navi board, functions kept turning on and off for the duration of the flight. Some of it was intentional, done by the pilot, but some of it looks purely random which leads me to believe it was a hardware or software glitch on the Navi.

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

what are the odds his little compass board has the same soldering issues your new one had Ken?

Crash

Defies Psychics
baker: download this to view the GPX file: http://www.mikrokopter.de/ucwiki/wemau#MK_GPX_Download

The compass does act funny. Starting at 241s, it changes a great bit without any yaw stick and that was enough to break PH.

Strap it down and spool up the motors to see if the compass changes. Do that in different directions.

Look at the target distance starting at 368s. CH had just been activated again and the craft was starting to slowly make it's way back (upwind?). Then at 372s you move the nick stick and the target distance changes 100+ meters. It is not a GPS problem because the map distance is accurate.

I have no idea why the target distance changes - maybe it's a bug that should be reported. It does happen several times in the flight.

It looks to me like you were fighting the GPS sticks and the navi went into manual mode, overriding CH, and allowing you to manually fly away. The same situation can happen in PH when you move the sticks outside of the threshold.

Bartman

I have to say I'm impressed by how much information you guys are able to glean from the data file the MK records. I didn't realize it's so helpful to have.
With a new micro SD card is there any formatting that has to be done or does the MK get it all sorted right out of the package?
Thanks,
Bart

baker55

I think you might be right Crash. because of lack of experience and patience I might not have waited long enough for the ch to do its job. I think I was more concerned with getting it away from the public than getting it back. I guess my other concern is why it went the opposite direction when I tried to bring it back at first. It was only 100-200' away from me. Shaun

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I guess my other concern is why it went the opposite direction when I tried to bring it back at first. It was only 100-200' away from me. Shaun

I aint looked at the log file coz just got in but this has happened to me when I have by mistake got comfort mode on. Cant see in the thread what firmware version is on the FC and the Nav.. do we know what firmware version is on the FC and Nav board?

Dave