Macsgrafs

Chris...I see you're flying FPV & doing what I will be doing next summer. Shame about the waves :( I was watching a documentary about big wave surfers a few nights ago....75ft waves etc....now that would be scarey filming :) I mostly fly over water as I live on the coast of North Devon, you do get used to it after a few flights...but dont become over confident or the water will be your grave. Had a near miss in similar conditions to your video, but i was flying an F16 EDF about 2ft above the water pulling max G...wingtip did touch, but I managed to pull out just in time. Keep at it..remember you might have to be in the air for quite a few mins before someone catches a wave!!!

Ross

Macsgrafs

An thats the video that made me want to film surfers Gunter. Love the clarity of the water from the air...dont forget I have a camera operator, so all I have to do is fly or should that be all MK have to do is fly ;)

Ross

chris24g

Chris...I see you're flying FPV & doing what I will be doing next summer. Shame about the waves :( I was watching a documentary about big wave surfers a few nights ago....75ft waves etc....now that would be scarey filming :) I mostly fly over water as I live on the coast of North Devon, you do get used to it after a few flights...but dont become over confident or the water will be your grave. Had a near miss in similar conditions to your video, but i was flying an F16 EDF about 2ft above the water pulling max G...wingtip did touch, but I managed to pull out just in time. Keep at it..remember you might have to be in the air for quite a few mins before someone catches a wave!!!

Ross

The waves are really small there, but I was just getting my feet wet, so to speak lol.
My main concern is repeated exposure to salty mist. It will corrode electronics over time so I have to figure out how best to protect the gear. I have flown LOS farther than I have FPV'd over water. For some reason the water magnifies the distance psychologically.

Love that dolphin video. No dolphins in the cold northern california water :^(

thepelell

probably not as scary or dangerous as filming over salty water, but flying in front of 10.000 spectators and with World Rally Champion as Sebastien Loeb or Motogp Champ Valentino Rossi couple of meters away from your machine is certainly nerve bashing...

Last edited by a moderator:

Macsgrafs

Chris, I believe there is some type of spray you can get to stop the erosion? The reason it magnifies the distance is called "Dead ground", if there were features...hills etc on water then you could judge distance better, keep at it...its fun ;)

Thepelell, nice location...how did you get permission to do that? Nice fliming as well.

Ross

thepelell

i was actually hired by the company doing official filming for the race track. They had to convince racetrack executives that maximum care would be taken, in Italy everybody is afraid of everything.. unfortunately the general rule "motorsport is dangerous" doesn't apply here.. i have been filming all year in various italian race tracks and i have always had a hard time with marshalls.. only in Austria at Red Bull ring i flew in the middle of the track and nobody bothered me..
I definately need to put my new 5.8G vtx at work so i can finally see what i'm filming.. now the season is over i can make some important upgrades..

Macsgrafs

i was actually hired by the company doing official filming for the race track. They had to convince racetrack executives that maximum care would be taken, in Italy everybody is afraid of everything.. unfortunately the general rule "motorsport is dangerous" doesn't apply here.. i have been filming all year in various italian race tracks and i have always had a hard time with marshalls.. only in Austria at Red Bull ring i flew in the middle of the track and nobody bothered me..
I definately need to put my new 5.8G vtx at work so i can finally see what i'm filming.. now the season is over i can make some important upgrades..

I can imagine the hassle of getting permission, thankfully they do not own the airspace above the track...YET!
FPV would certainly help you to get your position better, but a second person operating the camera (if on a seperate mount) also takes the strain off the pilot. Keep filming my friend, your video was very impressive.

Ross

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
I shot this the other day for a golf course project. i've still got some small jitters in roll but i think i've traced it to the servo and the mechanism i'm using to drive the roll function which will be changed int he next version of the mount. video quality takes a hit in the conversion process but i'm not doing the post-production myself so quality in the final clips is much better. the three fly-outs from the tee box represent the shot i was trying to get, everything else is just me getting back into position.

Last edited by a moderator:

Macsgrafs

Bart, I think thats superb filming!!!! May I ask were you tryign to get to the flag/hole, but you cant judge distance that far away...you need FPV mate. The video I saw was smooth & I got the feeling if speeded up could almost represent the view from a gulf ball!!!!! Personally here's what I would do....but remember its just me ;) I would picture a golf ball in flight, how it rises & drops forming an ark. Get your FPV gear out & fly that arc...a few times to make sure. Then walk your camera that u are usign for filming down to that hole, place camera on a tripod & if you stand just out of shot, you could throw the golf ball into the hole as though it was coming out of the sky....now you can splice your best run with that ending shot...do this for a pro golf course for all holes & flog them the footage to use in thier golf tournament broadcasts. You obviously can fly that thing smoothly...go on mate, if nothing else I would love to see the results!

Ross

chris24g

Chris, I believe there is some type of spray you can get to stop the erosion? The reason it magnifies the distance is called "Dead ground", if there were features...hills etc on water then you could judge distance better, keep at it...its fun ;)

Thepelell, nice location...how did you get permission to do that? Nice fliming as well.

Ross

Thanks, Mac

I'll look into the spray. I have seen people spray their electronics with a rubberized plastic (plastidip i think it's called). I may have to do some more research on that stuff. Let's hope it will never be put to the test!

Nice rally footage! F1 is cool (yawn), but the rally guys are the best drivers in the world.

thepelell

yes rally guys are the most down to earth.
Thanks Ross, yeah i need to improve my machine and get started with fpv. Multiwii+fixed gopro has got its limits...

Macsgrafs

Thanks Ross, yeah i need to improve my machine and get started with fpv. Multiwii+fixed gopro has got its limits...

Thats why I went for the new droidworx SJ8 before it was even released, I wanted the biggest there was at the time, you never know how big a camera you might have to lift ;)

Ross