SKYJIB 8 & DJI setup advice!

vispaaja

Hey guys!

I'm planning to build a couple of heavy lifter octos some time this summer and I hope you could give me some advice! I've been flying normal helis for 7 years but multirotors are quite new to me. I have a Y6 Ardu at the moment but I need something bigger and more reliable. The idea is to carry a 5D or maybe even a RED Epic at some point. The heli should be perfect for both, stills and video. The idea is to have a helicopter that requires as little tweaking as possible and therefore I'd like to have a well optimized setup to start with. Here is the list of parts that I was considering:

Skyjib 8
DJI Wookong M
8x KW-8 PRO motors
8x DJI 40A ESC's
Av200 + 360 PAN RTU v2
PicLoc 3X Pro
2x 5s 8000mAh
JR 9503 + AR 8000

Now some questions:

Frame and camera mount
For video work, how does the Cinestar + CS differ from Skyjib + AV200? Is the PicLoc gyro easy to tune?

Motors and ESC
- Have you tried KW-8 motors?
- Are the DJI ESC's any good? Are Maytech's better?
OR
- Is there any good reason to have a power board setup, for example Hercules? For the price of two I could get like three dozens of normal ESC's.. Also, if the board fails for any possible reason, I'd have to change the entire board. That sounds way too expensive.

Batteries
- I read that people use 2x 5S 11000mAh setups in these monsters but that sounds like a massive overkill.. What kind of flight times would I expect with 2x 5s 8000 batteries and a 5D onboard? Could I use even smaller batteries?

Props
APC? Graupner? What size?

General questions
- What other accesories will I need?
- RX + camera mount battery (2s5000?)
- Regulators?
- Extension leads?
- etc.

I'd appreciate very much if someone could help me out with these questions! : )

Skyjib 8 / Good choice, be sure to get new center section and crash cage
DJI Wookong M / Or YS-X6
8x KW-8 PRO motors / Not sure if these are just rebadged Tiger motors (99% they are). Tiger motors usually have crappy bearings.
8x DJI 40A ESC's / No good. If you wanna buy now only CC ice with 4.01 firmware. If you wanna wait Herkules III is comming. Reflashed chinese esc's F60 if you feel lucky.
Av200 + 360 PAN RTU v2 / The freefly CS is a better gimbal. The AV200 should be retired.
PicLoc 3X Pro / The Freefly gimbal system looks promissing. The Picloc 3x is having some issues.
2x 5s 8000mAh / Maybe get more. You will need 2 at a time. (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__16227__ZIPPY_Flightmax_8000mAh_5S1P_30C_.html)
JR 9503 + AR 8000 / If going for a WKm get Futaba with sbus.

Now some questions:

Frame and camera mount
For video work, how does the Cinestar + CS differ from Skyjib + AV200? Is the PicLoc gyro easy to tune?

Motors and ESC
OR
- Is there any good reason to have a power board setup, for example Hercules? For the price of two I could get like three dozens of normal ESC's.. Also, if the board fails for any possible reason, I'd have to change the entire board. That sounds way too expensive.

Batteries
- I read that people use 2x 5S 11000mAh setups in these monsters but that sounds like a massive overkill.. What kind of flight times would I expect with 2x 5s 8000 batteries and a 5D onboard? Could I use even smaller batteries? 6-12 minutes

Props
APC? Graupner? What size? JXF 14x4 wood. (http://www.himodel.com/search.php?psearch=14x4) or 12x6 carbon fiber (http://www.foxtechfpv.com/1260-carbon-fiber-propeller-cwccw-p-522.html)

General questions
- Regulators? CC bec x2
- Extension leads?
- etc. LED

See red letters

CineRebel

Hey guys!

I'm planning to build a couple of heavy lifter octos some time this summer and I hope you could give me some advice! I've been flying normal helis for 7 years but multirotors are quite new to me. I have a Y6 Ardu at the moment but I need something bigger and more reliable. The idea is to carry a 5D or maybe even a RED Epic at some point. The heli should be perfect for both, stills and video. The idea is to have a helicopter that requires as little tweaking as possible and therefore I'd like to have a well optimized setup to start with. Here is the list of parts that I was considering:

Skyjib 8
DJI Wookong M
8x KW-8 PRO motors
8x DJI 40A ESC's
Av200 + 360 PAN RTU v2
PicLoc 3X Pro
2x 5s 8000mAh
JR 9503 + AR 8000

Now some questions:

Frame and camera mount

Motors and ESC
OR

Batteries
- I read that people use 2x 5S 11000mAh setups in these monsters but that sounds like a massive overkill.. What kind of flight times would I expect with 2x 5s 8000 batteries and a 5D onboard? Could I use even smaller batteries?

Props

General questions
- Regulators?
- Extension leads?
- etc.

My Advice would be the following

Skyjib 8
DJI Wookong M
8x Plettenberg 15/20 or AXI 4210/20 however axi are twice the weight of plettenberg mototrs
The plettenberg motors are dynamic balanced motors with almost no significant vibration
8x DJI 40A ESC's
Av200 + 360 PAN RTU v2
I would wait for the SKYLINE board from photohigher which is coming out in a week or two
2x 5s 8000mAh
JR 9503 + AR 8000

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Hey guys!

Skyjib 8
DJI Wookong M
8x KW-8 PRO motors
8x DJI 40A ESC's
Av200 + 360 PAN RTU v2
PicLoc 3X Pro
2x 5s 8000mAh
JR 9503 + AR 8000

Now some questions:

Frame and camera mount

Motors and ESC
OR

Batteries

Props

General questions
- Regulators?
- Extension leads?
- etc.

I'm currently flying the Cinestar 6 with AXI 2814 motors, WKM, and reflashed 30A ESCs. I tried a number of different ESCs and the best all around performance is on the reflashed set. As for Maytech, they are the exact same hardware as Hobbyking Blue series, only difference is the Blue are 1/3 the price. The set I'm currently using are reflashed Maytech/Blue and they are a better design than most of the other cheap ESCs, also look to be a bit better made than some other well known Chinese ESCs.

I've been doing some testing the last couple days with the CS on the latest DJI firmware with Sony Nex 5N on a Photohigher AV130 using a standalone IMU for the gimbal. The results so far are much better than what I was able to do before the changes, so regardless of what else you use for hardware you certainly want a dedicated controller for whatever gimbal you wind up using.

In any case you won't gain anything using out of the box DJI ESCs over say a Turningy Plush or Hobbywing, they are all basically the same under the shrinkwrap. I certainly wouldn't waste big $$$ on any of the boutique controllers out there, little to no advantage over a standard PWM ESC with WKM other than bragging rights and a standard PWM ESC reflashed may actually work better.

Ken

vispaaja

Thank you for input.

The Plettenbergs seem to be very good motors but I have searched and searched again but can't find any shop that sells them. Where do you buy yours?

http://www.kopterworx.com/Accesories-Cinemastar/CS-Mount-3-axis-with-landing-gear
If I want to use this Cinestar gimbal on a Skyjib, will its own landing gear support the weight of the heli? Or will I have to use SkyJib retracks? Also the mounting seems to require an adapter which costs like hell (A friend of mine could probably CNC one)

How will the Hercules III differ from II? (Though I'm still unsure whether I want to spend 1000€ vs. a couple of hundred € for normal ESC's).

Would these be good ESC's?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=11430

Are there any pre-reflashed ESC's available?

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
Thank you guys for your suggestions, but after reading some more I am going to go which Hobbywing platinium 40A or 60A ESC's... much cheaper and do exactly the same job!

Im using the HW platinum 40a esc's and they haven't let me down yet.

Regards, Gunter
via the Samsung

CineRebel

Thank you for input.

The Plettenbergs seem to be very good motors but I have searched and searched again but can't find any shop that sells them. Where do you buy yours?

http://www.kopterworx.com/Accesories-Cinemastar/CS-Mount-3-axis-with-landing-gear
If I want to use this Cinestar gimbal on a Skyjib, will its own landing gear support the weight of the heli? Or will I have to use SkyJib retracks? Also the mounting seems to require an adapter which costs like hell (A friend of mine could probably CNC one)

How will the Hercules III differ from II? (Though I'm still unsure whether I want to spend 1000€ vs. a couple of hundred € for normal ESC's).

Would these be good ESC's?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=11430

Are there any pre-reflashed ESC's available?

You can order them directly from plettenbergmotoren or from shop.aerodron.ch

vispaaja

Okay thanks.
Does anyone know whether the landing gear of the CS mount will support the weight of the Skyjib? Or will I need to use retracks?

Kari

Moi Vispaaja,

If you're going to cs360 mount why not go to CS8 frame then? It will carry well all the payload you can fit to gimbal anyway.

Kari

vispaaja

Hey,
The idea was to have a setup that can lift anything, for example two RED's for 3D effect if needed. In that case a new gimbal is required anyways, but that's cheaper than buying a new heli. Weight should also bring some extra stability in gusty winds, I hope :). Gotta read a lot more on this site, before making any final decisions :)

roypwee

Baed on your setup, you should get about 8-10 mins of flight time at 3.6v remaining on each cell. On 2 x 5S 8800.

Hey guys!

Skyjib 8
DJI Wookong M
8x KW-8 PRO motors
8x DJI 40A ESC's
Av200 + 360 PAN RTU v2
PicLoc 3X Pro
2x 5s 8000mAh
JR 9503 + AR 8000

Now some questions:

Frame and camera mount

Motors and ESC
OR

Batteries

Props

General questions
- Regulators?
- Extension leads?
- etc.

vispaaja

Hey again,

Could anyone give me some basic measurements of the Skyjib 8? Most importantly boom length + thickness and center plate width. Also the distance from the center plate to the top of the crash cage. Other measurements would also be appreciated.

Thanks