XAircraft SuperX on heavy lifter

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
The limit is set from -30 to +30 (or so I think), but the results on mine as they appear in the black box go from -125% to 84%.

Did you set the center point to 1530?

I have mine now set to LIMIT: -2- and +20 with center at 1530. No change to "offset" The results are SuperX tuning knob goes from aprox -70% to 70%

That's better than where I was at before. I have to look into the possibility that the "weight" can be changed to effect the resolution. But right now - no more bouncing all over the place - which was happening even when the Taranis LIMIT was set to -40 and 40.

Small gains.....Pun intended! :)

mediaguru

I have mine now set to LIMIT: -2- and +20 with center at 1530. No change to "offset" The results are SuperX tuning knob goes from aprox -70% to 70%

That's better than where I was at before. I have to look into the possibility that the "weight" can be changed to effect the resolution. But right now - no more bouncing all over the place - which was happening even when the Taranis LIMIT was set to -40 and 40.

Small gains.....Pun intended! :)

I probably don't have the limit set right. I shot a picture of my profile page 7, servos. This is where I set the -30 to +30. Is this correct?
View attachment 19277
And yes I did set the center point (far right column called PPM center) to 1530 at one point, but thought the gain percentages were f'd so I put it back.

Attachments

• IMG_3118.jpg
    IMG_3118.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 256

dazzab

I tried this settings and didn't get any throw in the negative at all. So I tried -20 to 20 and now the logs show close to -100 to +100 with zero at the middle detent. I'm not sure why we would get such different settings but that's the best I've had it so thanks for your suggestion.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Media: That is the correct window. The only difference is that I have mine set to -20, +20 and then the far right column is set to 1530.

dazzub: I think this may be a product of the potentiometer itself. It's probably just not a high quality pot, and perhaps there is discrepancy there??? I know the early versions had bad side sliders when they first released the Taranis - maybe this pot is an issue. I am thinking of emailing FrSky to see if they have any suggestions.

Scott

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Hey gang.

Had a weird flight last night where the hex came down for an uncontrolled landing. not a crash per se, but straight down like I was planning to land, but I had no power left to hover and get it back up. Wasn't even coming down that fast, so it certainly had SOME juice left. At first I assumed I had run the battery too low - or a cell had dropped or something. But when I look at the black box I don't notice anything battery related, and I still had plenty left (15v on a 4S).

But i realized I have not been looking close enough at the motor outputs (I have been so obsessed with the frame vibrations tuning). I have been hitting up in the high 90's often. Not all the time, but more than seems healthy to me. I went back and looked at some older logs - and the highs are closer to 70's.

Can someone have a look at this log and tell me what it's trying to tell me? The high outputs happen throughout- obviously the landing/crash is the last bit - 3rd flight (which should be linked)...

Thanks!

http://log.xaircraft.com/#2014_07_21_050210.250_171.1.07.19

dazzab

Media:
dazzub: I think this may be a product of the potentiometer itself. It's probably just not a high quality pot, and perhaps there is discrepancy there??? I know the early versions had bad side sliders when they first released the Taranis - maybe this pot is an issue. I am thinking of emailing FrSky to see if they have any suggestions.
Scott
I've heard the same. But I waited for the later shipping models for exactly this reason. Let me know what you find out. Cheers.

dazzab

Hey gang.
But when I look at the black box I don't notice anything battery related, and I still had plenty left (15v on a 4S).
The log shows that the batteries went down to 14.3V which is 3.5V per cell. Looks like it did run out of juice. What size battery was it? Are you using one or two?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
The log shows that the batteries went down to 14.3V which is 3.5V per cell. Looks like it did run out of juice. What size battery was it? Are you using one or two?

I was using an 8000mah 4S battery. The 80% rule would lead me to believe that I could go down to 13.44v - but I usually land far safer than that. So while this went lower then I typically do, I thought it shouldn't have fallen the way it did. Also, the voltage after the flight was 15v or so at rest - and I still had plenty of mah left over. Maybe the battery is acting funky. Not sure....

fltundra

I probably don't have the limit set right. I shot a picture of my profile page 7, servos. This is where I set the -30 to +30. Is this correct?
View attachment 23641
And yes I did set the center point (far right column called PPM center) to 1530 at one point, but thought the gain percentages were f'd so I put it back.

I have mine at -20 to +28, offset +4

dazzab

I was using an 8000mah 4S battery. The 80% rule would lead me to believe that I could go down to 13.44v - but I usually land far safer than that. So while this went lower then I typically do, I thought it shouldn't have fallen the way it did. Also, the voltage after the flight was 15v or so at rest - and I still had plenty of mah left over. Maybe the battery is acting funky. Not sure....
My hexa does exactly what you experienced at 3.5V per cell. Do you have telemetry that was showing low battery as my SuperX starts flashing a warning at 3.5V. Did you set the battery warning in config? If the battery was back to 15V afterwards maybe it's not up to the current demand of the six motors? What's the C rating of the battery?

Fortunately for you, there are people here who know a lot more about batteries than I do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
My hexa does exactly what you experienced at 3.5V per cell. Do you have telemetry that was showing low battery as my SuperX starts flashing a warning at 3.5V. Did you set the battery warning in config? If the battery was back to 15V afterwards maybe it's not up to the current demand of the six motors? What's the C rating of the battery?

Fortunately for you, there are people here who know a lot more about batteries than I do.

It's a 30C battery - which shoudl be MORE than enough. I have flown this same battery for 12 minutes before - which is why I was surprised when it went haywire after only 9+ minutes. I did buy them used though - so i am assuming it's the battery.

I am also concerned with the motor outputs being so high though. When I looked back a ways, the outputs were much closer to 70+% max, no in the mid to high 90's.

I don't think I set up the low battery warning this time. I should put it back on.

Thanks for your help.

mediaguru

Moto take a look at motor #4 in particular. It seems to be running a little higher than the rest. I'm no pro on this, but my percentages are all within 5% of each other, ranging from 59-64%.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Moto take a look at motor #4 in particular. It seems to be running a little higher than the rest. I'm no pro on this, but my percentages are all within 5% of each other, ranging from 59-64%.

I did notice that. Not sure what to make of it though??? It spins freely by hand at least. No noticeable difference from the others.

mediaguru

Totally possible. I have been having a hell of a time getting this frame to stay level.

I plan to keep an eye on my arms as I've read with this frame there can be slippage. Some have even drilled each end and put a bolt through to prevent them from moving. I also thread locked all my screws but will regularly check them to make sure none are coming loose.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I plan to keep an eye on my arms as I've read with this frame there can be slippage. Some have even drilled each end and put a bolt through to prevent them from moving. I also thread locked all my screws but will regularly check them to make sure none are coming loose.

I have been checking them often - and they definitely move. I have thread lock on there - but I saw a trick to put scotch tape around the boom before clamping for some extra hold. When I tear it apart I'll give it a shot.

mediaguru

I've had my landing gear slip recently.

By the way I finally weighed my T960 out of curiosity, after Kloner mentioned I was running a heavy bird. With two 5000mAh batteries and the Zhaoyun gimbal mounted (no camera) it is 13 pounds (6 kilos). How does that compare to yours?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I've had my landing gear slip recently.

By the way I finally weighed my T960 out of curiosity, after Kloner mentioned I was running a heavy bird. With two 5000mAh batteries and the Zhaoyun gimbal mounted (no camera) it is 13 pounds (6 kilos). How does that compare to yours?

I'm only about 3kg AW. About 1/2 of yours :) But I think that's with the smaller 5100mah battery. The 8A battery is obviously heavier - maybe just over 3kg?