XAircraft SuperX on heavy lifter

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Woa wait a sec. I'm trying to solve some vibration issues with my SuperX/Zhaohun/Taranis and ran across this. I just looked at my logs and guess what? All my gains are at -18%. Might that make a difference on vibration if I get my gains set to 0%?

Sorry, what do you mean your gains? When you look at the G (tuning) gains/data in the black box?

mediaguru

I'm having a hard time finding it. But my Taranis is set now to 1530 center point. I thought there was an offset that needed to be used as well (4.3 or 4.5???), but mine does center at zero, so at least that's a start.

So this is the gain knob. Strange that the profile I got from Drew would be off. Perhaps that explains why when I tweaked it the damn bird got really wobbly. I'll try messing with this tonight.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
So this is the gain knob. Strange that the profile I got from Drew would be off. Perhaps that explains why when I tweaked it the damn bird got really wobbly. I'll try messing with this tonight.

Well, it's supposed to get wobbly of you jack the gain knob enough. In my experience, The knob is really best for tweaking for different wind conditions and various battery weights etc.

on the hex I'm not getting much change when moving the knob - but on the lighter quad I would get noticeably drastic changes.

To make sure it's in the center - you can test without props. Fire it up, and then twist it from center to both extremes. Then see what it says in the black box. Hopefully the 1530 will allow center decent to be zero, and then see readings far left and right.

mediaguru

Well, it's supposed to get wobbly of you jack the gain knob enough. In my experience, The knob is really best for tweaking for different wind conditions and various battery weights etc.

on the hex I'm not getting much change when moving the knob - but on the lighter quad I would get noticeably drastic changes.

To make sure it's in the center - you can test without props. Fire it up, and then twist it from center to both extremes. Then see what it says in the black box. Hopefully the 1530 will allow center decent to be zero, and then see readings far left and right.

10-4 on that. Do you think running the bird at -18% gain would explain some excessive vibration?

kloner

Aerial DP
You have a negative gain, aside from not fly right it shouldn't create a vibration..... are you positive the esc's and motors are syncing alright? main gains aren't chased up too high? the ones in the superX gui

You want to try the -18 at +18 and tell us how it goes,,, you want the main gains to be high enough to not need that G gain up more than +30

heres a video of superX on a heavy lifter

Last edited by a moderator:

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
10-4 on that. Do you think running the bird at -18% gain would explain some excessive vibration?

It seems to me that when you turn the gain up (too far) - you will start to get high freq vibes. When you turn it down too far, you will get the lower freq "wobble."

mediaguru

You have a negative gain, aside from not fly right it shouldn't create a vibration..... are you positive the esc's and motors are syncing alright? main gains aren't chased up too high? the ones in the superX gui

You want to try the -18 at +18 and tell us how it goes,,, you want the main gains to be high enough to not need that G gain up more than +30

heres a video of superX on a heavy lifter

Thanks for the help kloner. I've admired those videos previously. I don't hear any ticking or any oscillations from the motors/esc's. I'm still flying on the default FC configuration settings. It seems to be flying fairly well and when I hover it next to me looks good. My first big bird though so maybe I'm not seeing something I should be.

http://log.xaircraft.com/#2014_07_18_121929.750_32.1.10.32

Motors averaging between 59-64%, no individual motors running at what would appear to be too high so I may assume they're leveled okay (I leveled each one). Props are balanced (at least I think I balanced them properly).

Maybe I can tighten up loose cables and such just in case.

Once again I'm running a smaller camera in the gimbal, not a NEX. But I'm setting it to where the platform balances. Maybe the camera is too light, but I did bring down the PIDs and power levels on the gimbal.

kloner

Aerial DP
your payload is heavy on that rig as it sits. Your vibration levels are really high.

might take a peek at this

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Wow. Those are some serious vibes. I can pissed when mine go about .3. On this hex they've been higher - about .6 - you can imagine how irritated I am :)

follow Kloner's advice and make sure the props are balanced. Also, wouldn't hurt to check the motor balance.

mediaguru

I will adjust my prop balancing technique to be more like this. You stop the blade and if it does NOT move, then it is balanced.

mediaguru

Wow. Those are some serious vibes. I can pissed when mine go about .3. On this hex they've been higher - about .6 - you can imagine how irritated I am :)

follow Kloner's advice and make sure the props are balanced. Also, wouldn't hurt to check the motor balance.

The vibes are there with one battery and no gimbal, and with the full setup (gimbal and two 5000mAh lipos).

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
You should be able to move the prop to any position and have it stay. It definitely gets to a point where it's very fine tuning. Make sure you are doing the hubs as well. That gets overlooked.

kloner

Aerial DP
with props off while trying different rpm fingers touching booms shouldn't feel anything, if there is a vibe replace that motor or bearing if you got the tools

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Kloner. What would you start at GUI wise for gains for a hex weighing in at about 2700-3000 grams. I've been all over the map and having a harder time than superx on my small CineTank.

Thanks!