XAircraft SuperX

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Enjoy your SuperX

I'll do my best... ;)

The X arrived yesterday, most I've had a chance to do with it is open the box and have a look at the various peices, seems quite well built, the IMU in particular looks and feels very solid. One thing that surprised me a bit is the GPS puck, you could almost use it as a hockey puck, this one is much bigger than both DJI and Zero UAV. Nice that there's a couple different mounting options supplied should make it easy for anyone to find a way to install the GPS.

I have a brand new Droidworx VM4 frame sitting in a box under my desk, as soon as I have the time to round up all the necessary components here in the workshop the Super X will find itself a home on the VM4 frame along with a set of 2814 motors and 4 HK Blue series 30 amp ESCs reflashed with SimonK code.

Once intial flight tests are complete it will likely become home to one of the GoPro brushless gimbals I have here as well. It will be interesting to see how this flys in comparison to the MK, DJI, APM, and assorted other flight controllers I have.

Ken

Kilby

I just got ours in as well. I'll be doing an official review of it in the coming weeks, so far though, I am also impressed with the construction of the IMU. It's a very solid feeling component.

-Terry

CrashMaster

Aeroxcraft is great, 3 levels of vibe isolation (rubber grommets on rail mounts, rubber or silicon isolators and silicon studs in the cage) comes with Martinez board already setup, mine worked great straight out the box. It doesn't need any input fro the FC, unlike the H3-2D does from Naza or WKM I think. It just need one Rx input for tilt.
I can second that as I have two they work right out of the box now. My first one was one of the very first and had a lot of difficulty setting it up and upgrading the firmware but the second one arrived 2 months later all done and haven't had to get under the bonnet to do anything - Plug and Play. The only other thing I did was to fit a 7.4v BEC to power it too.
All you then need is to connect the pitch cable to a spare channel on your RX and set up a slide or pot on the TX.... Job done and totally independent of the controller. I suspect that the next one Rob will produce will be a 3 axis one....

rwilabee

I want to commend Drew and Staff from XAircraft America. A friend of mine purchased a SuperX Professional from him last week and had it shipped to me. As soon as he purchased it I started reading the manual and realized I had lots of questions that I would like to get answered ahead of time. Being a WooKong user working with a new system can be challenging for your first one, then it becomes second nature. What I didn't realize at the time is how easy it is to set one up once you have done it. I e-mailed XAircraft America and Drew promptly answered me even though I wasn't the one who purchased it. For the next few days, while I was waiting for the unit to arrive, we were chatting via e-mail with him answering my questions and then me coming up with other questions. I didn't realize he was in Hawaii at the time, probably on vacation, but he was taking the time to answer me. They shipped out the unit promptly, in fact I got it next day. After I received it I had even more questions that he kept answering for me so I wouldn't be held up. I was still in WooKong mode and I had to put that behind me. I was putting together an Octo for a friend who was going to use it for his work and I will demo it this Friday to his co-workers. I just can't say enough about the personal support that I was given. After test flying it today and seeing how stable it is I have ordered two Basic Units for myself.

Thanks
Drew

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
I just ordered my 3rd SuperX. I'm hooked.

i also used a SuperX on a review for RCG for the Avroto LIFT series motors. Here's something pretty cool.
I tuned the SuperX with NO payload on this HEX, and then we added 9 lbs of payload and I did not have to change the tuning! Check it out:

Last edited by a moderator:

ESC recommendations for SuperX

I decided to give the basic Superx a try on a custom quad I have ready for it's install. I can't find any documentation on ESC requirements. I have some turnigy plush and Rctimer basic esc's around or is it suggested to use a SimonK loaded esc.

rwilabee

It will handle any Esc including SimonK converted Esc's. The ones you mentioned that you have will work great as long as they are the right amp rating for your motors.

I decided to give the basic Superx a try on a custom quad I have ready for it's install. I can't find any documentation on ESC requirements. I have some turnigy plush and Rctimer basic esc's around or is it suggested to use a SimonK loaded esc.

I will second that, all of those ESC options should work fine. BTW thanks a ton Rick for all of your findings on the SBUS with the SuperX. It sure does make a clean install to have just one wire from the receiver to the I/O.

rwilabee

You are welcome Drew. It is so nice to have a controller that is so easy to set up and is of such quality and flies so well with that kind of pricing.

Rich

I will second that, all of those ESC options should work fine. BTW thanks a ton Rick for all of your findings on the SBUS with the SuperX. It sure does make a clean install to have just one wire from the receiver to the I/O.

So, I have a very solid quad with the SuperX on it. I still can't get the twitches or wobbles out. Here is a video. This is in GPS mode and I am not touching the sticks at all. Overall it is holding position well, but definitely not flying on rails. Atti mode is very similar in flight characteristics. Manual mode is super sensitive but smoother. I need to dial back the Expo a bit. Anyone else having issue getting smooth flight in Atti/GPS? this is an FPV rig and I definitely notice it on the monitor. Yes, these motors are a bit powerful for this rig (Axi 2814 22 w/ Graupner 12x5 props.) best flight time is on 5s as about 12 minutes putting back 70%. I wonder if they can add in a tuning tab for how fast the auto leveling returns to center. Love this feature in my HFp

http://youtu.be/kkubJXRNvvc

Fit101

So, I have a very solid quad with the SuperX on it. I still can't get the twitches or wobbles out. Here is a video. This is in GPS mode and I am not touching the sticks at all. Overall it is holding position well, but definitely not flying on rails. Atti mode is very similar in flight characteristics. Manual mode is super sensitive but smoother. I need to dial back the Expo a bit. Anyone else having issue getting smooth flight in Atti/GPS? this is an FPV rig and I definitely notice it on the monitor. Yes, these motors are a bit powerful for this rig (Axi 2814 22 w/ Graupner 12x5 props.) best flight time is on 5s as about 12 minutes putting back 70%. I wonder if they can add in a tuning tab for how fast the auto leveling returns to center. Love this feature in my HFp

http://youtu.be/kkubJXRNvvc

What size is your quad and did you adjust the gains? Can you post a picture of how you have the FC mounted?

nemorov

Hi tahoelight, I'm seeing exactly the same performance as you are. Either sloppy responce or extreme vibrations in the frame. Install was very easy but not getting the rock solid performance that others are reporting and showing in videos. Certainly wouldnt take my fingers off the controls even in GPS locked mode! Also the auto take off function was very scarey first time. Didnt want to lift, seemed to try and hover just at weight off. really had to punch the throttle to get it in the air. Certainly nothing like the similar function on the Naza V2 where it makes a positive take off. Anyone else seeing this type of take off. Really hoping I can get this dialled in as would love to move away from the DJI M that i've had several unexplained issues with but so far not the instant improvement I'd hoped for. Any suggestions gratefully received. Craft is a large Hex with Tiger 3515 motors and 15in props. TOW is 6.8kg. Motors have been balanced previously and will check prop balance tomorrow.

What size is your quad and did you adjust the gains? Can you post a picture of how you have the FC mounted?

Quad is about 500mm motor to motor, although it is not right in from of me right now. FC is mountain in the center. Triangle forward. Although it is lifted above the center plate about an inch so wires can come out if center plate and hooked to the control box and Rx. CG is balanced. Props balanced, etc. I have adjusted gains in the computer and using a dial. Either high speed oscillation or mushy, no middle ground.
6y7yge4u.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Fit101

Tahoe, with a smaller quad like that, it only takes minor input to get it to move in any direction....slight movements (pitch and roll) get exaggerated to the flight controller. (Think of a tight rope walker with thier crazy long balance stick...makes movements happen slower and more time to correct). Because of this, it's that much more important that the FC is in the true COG, and that means X, Y, AND Z planes. Sounds like from your description the Z plane is a bit higher then COG. This creates a scenario of over sensitivity in regards to pitch and roll which can makes gain adjustments a nightmare.

Imagine holding a heavy ball in your hand and rotating your wrist in the direction of pitch and and roll...it will feel pretty even and consistent in both directions. Now, attach that ball to the end of a 12" stick and hold the stick from the bottom with the other end straight up. If you move your wrist in the same manner, as soon at the ball end moves away from 90° (straight up) it's no longer rotating...it's tipping and the weight you'll feel on your wrist will increase exponentially.

This is a extreme example but it may explain what your FC is seeing...it acts like its top heavy and its trying to over compensate...then it counters that movement the other way. It may be a good place to start to solve your issue.

The other thing to check is your wire routing, keep your high power/amp wires clear of signal wires...and twist them if you can to cut down on RF.

FIT

nicwilke

Tahoe, disable gains from the Rx to I/O so that any gains the transmitter it making are severed. I find the pc setup us better to tune than the remote gains as I could work out what it was doing. I know you are really experienced in all things multirotor, so don't be offended if my suggestion is something you've already done mate. Cheers.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

nemorov

So are you guys saying that with the SuperX you need to place the controller on the exact centre of gravity in all directions? Obviously on the WKM you have the option in the software to tell it where the COG is in relation to the controller. My current design has the gimbal, camera,retracts and batteries below the centre plate so my COG must be some way below the FC. Never really liked the idea of placing the batteries high up (the only way I could change the COG) as they are very unprotected and also means the main power wiring is running directly around all the electronics. Does anyone else out there have a SuperX installed way off COG like mine? Tahoe's rig looks like it will be off balance although not as bad as mine. I'll post a picture later.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
On my small (530mm) Quad I have the SuperX mounted almost 1.5” above the CG. It’s centered but above it.
This one is tuned with Y-1.2 R-1.2 P-1.2 and height at .08 and it is insanely stable. (I did the micro gain on a slider and had to tune it slightly for about 2 minutes. After that I shut off that channel, and it’s been solid.
Over 100 flights and not so much as a bobble.

View attachment 14574View attachment 14575View attachment 14576

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 371
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 275
  • 1234962_10201934518994881_884714785_n.jpg
    1234962_10201934518994881_884714785_n.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 380

nemorov

Tried different props and also tried moving the batteries higher to change the COG but still not stable flight. Pics of the configuration attached.
Take off is quite scary and then once in the air I dare not take my fingers off the sticks even in GPS Atti mode as the thing wanders all over the place. I have the settings at 1.2 through the range on the computer and when adjusting using the remote trim it goes from very soft and wobbly to steady but with strong vibrations so the 1.2 seems like a good centre point allowing tuning with remote trim.
View attachment 14608View attachment 14609View attachment 14610

Attachments

• IMG_0309x.jpg
    IMG_0309x.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_0311x.jpg
    IMG_0311x.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_0313x.jpg
    IMG_0313x.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 224

CrashMaster

Why have you got the GPS Puck so high? If it is too high the slightest movement is exaggerated at the end of the pole.... Have you tried it mounted down nearer the COG?