XAircraft SuperX

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Why have you got the GPS Puck so high? If it is too high the slightest movement is exaggerated at the end of the pole.... Have you tried it mounted down nearer the COG?

I agree, I think that is your problem. The stick included with the kit is almost too high in my opinion, but it works. There is not need to have it that high up.
Also, did you properly calibrate the compas?

nemorov

Thats a good point which I hadnt considered. Was trying to make sure its well away from the ESC's and other power related components such as the electric air module which carries the full battery current.
I have done a full compass calibration but I'll try dropping the puck much lower tomorrow. Watch this space...

You guys got a mast for the GPS included in your kit? I didn't.
I am getting a bit better flight characteristics by moving the FC a bit lower. I also took out the RC gain wire and just using a laptop to tune. I also recalibrated. All of this is one Mod, so not sure what helped. Manual mode with some lowered expo is great. GPS is good, but still not consistent. Some times it drifts a few feet and some times it is locked in. Sometimes Atti mode drifts quite a bit too. When I turn off GPS, it will start an imediate drift right. This only happens on some flights. not all flights. Almost like I need to land and reboot. OVerall, I am liking the controller. VEry easy to set up the basics, super easy to fly and I trust the RTH so far. Looking forward to some more features and wish the OSD was more reasonably priced.

Are we suppose to try to offset the GPS antenna a bit to compensate for compass declination?

NEMOROV - have you calibrated your compass properly with all 3 axis? Sounds like a calibration issue you might be having.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Usually before I fly I let the rig sit for a minute and lock into as many satilites as it can find. I have never had a lame flight on 3 different rigs of 3 different sizes.
Maybe I'm just lucky?

nemorov

Yes I did calibrate the compass in all three axis. Hopefully its the GPS puck positioning mentioned by others. I've relocated it much lower this evening and weather permitting I'll test it again tomorrow.

nemorov

quick test again this morning before the rain set in for the day... GPS puck now positioned much lower. First attempt to take off and the craft just tried to tip sideways to the right so I aborted the take off. Second attempt to take off and I decided to punch it harder to jump it into the air but it wouldnt take off and just tipped over sideways onto the grass. Fortunately it didnt damage the anything but I'm starting to think there is something seriously wrong with this FC. I've contacted the supplier who have forwarded it to XAircraft in China so fingers crossed their customer support is better than DJI... :)

DH106

quick test again this morning before the rain set in for the day... GPS puck now positioned much lower. First attempt to take off and the craft just tried to tip sideways to the right so I aborted the take off. Second attempt to take off and I decided to punch it harder to jump it into the air but it wouldnt take off and just tipped over sideways onto the grass. Fortunately it didnt damage the anything but I'm starting to think there is something seriously wrong with this FC. I've contacted the supplier who have forwarded it to XAircraft in China so fingers crossed their customer support is better than DJI... :)

I've had exactly this problem before - the Quad was very unstable just as it unstuck (wanted to roll over). If you correct/fight it to get it clear of the ground it becomes stable. I found that a complete re-calibration helped a lot.

Does anyone else have an issue in that the motors no longer start automatically after arming - it requires a throttle advance within the 3 secs allowed before disarming again. This doesn't seem to be just a throttle trim issue - because if I up the trim then the sticks no longer register 'lower inner' when arming. Stange.

nemorov

Equipment is as follows:

Flexacopter HEX Frame
Tiger 3515 Motors
MayTech 40a Simon K Flashed Esc's
Secraft Retracts
Zenmuse Gimbal
2 x 6S 4000mah batteries.
Graupner Electric Air Module ( telemetry )
Graupner MX20 Radio System

SuperX Flight Controller

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
It will be interesting to see if the x makes it into the pro realm. It will need to compete with the wookong and Hoverfly. So far is there a list of incompatible escs? Hell I might try one if I ever do another build.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
100% it will.

I have (3) units flying pro rigs.
800mm Hexacrafter Hex, 1100 MM RC Rotors Hex and a 530mm quad all fly flawlessly...
WAY better in wind, and you can actually fly them in GPS mode. Smooth as a HF when set up properly.
Love it.

nicwilke

100% it will.

I have (3) units flying pro rigs.
800mm Hexacrafter Hex, 1100 MM RC Rotors Hex and a 530mm quad all fly flawlessly...
WAY better in wind, and you can actually fly them in GPS mode. Smooth as a HF when set up properly.
Love it.

I only have 2 pro rigs using SuperX, but they are perfect.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

DH106

On my small (530mm) Quad I have the SuperX mounted almost 1.5” above the CG. It’s centered but above it.
This one is tuned with Y-1.2 R-1.2 P-1.2 and height at .08 and it is insanely stable. (I did the micro gain on a slider and had to tune it slightly for about 2 minutes. After that I shut off that channel, and it’s been solid.
Over 100 flights and not so much as a bobble.

Hey SleepyC, how do you get the height setting of .08 as you only seem to be able to work with 0.1 increments (0.1 / 0.2 / 0.3... etc) ?
Do you mean 0.8?
Thanks

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
The fear I have in the back of my mind comes from my original Xaircraft experience. I had their 650 V8 and 5 of the props exploded mid air, which I realize wasnt related to the FC. but after that I put the controller on a hex and it flew very well for months then all of the sudden one day it just decided to crap out and not output to one of the motors. To date is the only FC that has had an actually hardware failure. I have to say this is one thing I love about Hoverfly, their build quality is superior to anything from China. Maybe I am lucky but it didnt leave me with a feeling of confidence after that of course. I would be willing to give them another shot as they seem to have the components needed. I think I'll still let you guys do the endurance tests before I jump in. I'm in no rush anyways to build something new.

Sleep, when you say smooth as Hoverfly if set up properly. Is it like DJI wjere there are 6 values that have to be spot on for any changes made in weight/cg? Or is it a much more simple tuning process? I'm lazy!

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
yes sorry .8

It just mellows the stick sensitivity for the height adjustment in ATT and GPS mode.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Sleep, when you say smooth as Hoverfly if set up properly. Is it like DJI wjere there are 6 values that have to be spot on for any changes made in weight/cg? Or is it a much more simple tuning process? I'm lazy!

If you check out my review on RCG of the Avroto motors, I did not change any settings of the Hexacrafter when it was “No payload’ at 12lbs, and when I had 9lbs of water strapped to it at 21 lbs. I changed not one setting and it flew perfectly. I think the SuperX is more sensitive to CG changes than weight changes. So as long as you are changing things around but keeping everything balenced the SuperX handles it awesome.

Zirt57

Does anyone else have an issue in that the motors no longer start automatically after arming - it requires a throttle advance within the 3 secs allowed before disarming again. This doesn't seem to be just a throttle trim issue - because if I up the trim then the sticks no longer register 'lower inner' when arming. Stange.

Your motors are SUPPOSED to disarm if you don't apply throttle before 3 seconds. The idea here is you don't arm the motors until you are ready to fly. Arming of the SuperX is not like other flight controllers. RTFM.

Jeff

DH106

Your motors are SUPPOSED to disarm if you don't apply throttle before 3 seconds. The idea here is you don't arm the motors until you are ready to fly. Arming of the SuperX is not like other flight controllers. RTFM.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff - I am aware of how the arm/disarm is supposed to work because I did RTFM ! :highly_amused:
If you were to 'RTFPosting' properly then you'd see the point I was making was that my props no longer start when I arm the motors, as they used to do,and as it says in TFM !