Zero UAV Zero UAV YS-X6 [Owners Thread] *Autopilot system for multirotors*

robone

Excellent setup rob... Does the tablet connect to the wifi module so that you can use GCS on the tablet only? I'm having difficulties getting my phone to talk to the wifi/datalink ground package (they are in a box similar). Do you need a hotspot to connect the GCS via wifi to the wifi module in your case? Grrrrr. I'm a little frustrated now, as I've stupidly left the router in the field several weeks ago and dont want to purchase another router.

I set the Tablet up as a hotspot and then the Tablet connects to the wifi (or vice versa). It is an easy setup using an android based tablet/phone.

Rob, a really nice easy to set up and use rig...thats what it should be like....I'm envious. How can we in the UK achieve similar ranges (2- 3 Km) as the achievable distances are 300-500 meters with the 2.4ghz wifi down link and although retailers sell them here we supposedly are not able legally to use the 900mhz Data Links ?

David, I am using the YS-X6 data link. I have been told by someone who did a spectrum analysis, that even though it is operating in the 900Mhz band it is out of the allocated frequencies. I haven't tried to see how far the range is, all I know is that in the range that I need which is 200m max., I should never lose the data link

order a 3drradio 433 and get some rs232 tot ttl converters.

I agree. This is the way to go in all countries where the 900Mhz frequency is allocated to mobile phones.

nicwilke

I just successfully changed the IP range of the wifi module so my GCS on android communicates direct to the data link connected wifi module. No hot spot or router needed as the phone hotspot is talking to the module.

order a 3drradio 433 and get some rs232 tot ttl converters.

Rob and rwijnhov, thanks for that possible solution...it may be the only way to do this. However this 'stuff' will be all new to me and in an effort to keep my costs down I need to know how the kit will then fit together and with what components ? Does it just replace the 24 wifi link ?

robone

Here is are a few pictures of my latest build.

A Vulcan Multiframe 650 using MT2814-11 motors and the YS-X6 with the 900Mhz data link. Took it for its first test flight today and what a pleasure flying it.

Attachments

• IMG_1339.JPG
    IMG_1339.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 355
  • IMG_1354.JPG
    IMG_1354.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 375
  • IMG_1358.JPG
    IMG_1358.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 369
Last edited by a moderator:

robone

Rob and rwijnhov, thanks for that possible solution...it may be the only way to do this. However this 'stuff' will be all new to me and in an effort to keep my costs down I need to know how the kit will then fit together and with what components ? Does it just replace the 24 wifi link ?

Hi David

It replaces your wifi module on the multirotor, as the data link is now located on the multirotor instead of the wifi module and you have the other half of the data link located on the ground, which then connects by cable, to your wifi module. Your Tablet / phone then is set up as a hotspot and connects to your wifi module.

I tried to upload a document that shows how it works, but unfortunately it is too big. I will email it to you.

You can also eliminate the wifi module and connect the data link directly to your laptop

Rob

nicwilke

Here is are a few pictures of my latest build.

A Vulcan Multiframe 650 using MT2814-11 motors and the YS-X6 with the 900Mhz data link. Took it for its first test flight today and what a pleasure flying it.
Looking cool Rob. Got any video? I've ordered a droidworx XM-6 frame, and am not sure if I'll set it up + or x. Looks like you're setting the Vulcan up as a +. I'm at a complete loss to find out what is better and why? If I go Y, then I've got a wider window for the camera scope....

robone

Looking cool Rob. Got any video? I've ordered a droidworx XM-6 frame, and am not sure if I'll set it up + or x. Looks like you're setting the Vulcan up as a +. I'm at a complete loss to find out what is better and why? If I go Y, then I've got a wider window for the camera scope....

Hi Nic......no videos yet :)

I only have a Gopro hard mounted below the Batteries. The position of the legs on the Vulcan makes it virtually impossible to be seen by the camera, no matter what configuration one chooses. So I could have gone for + or X without any problems. If I was flying a 900 or 1200 I would have chosen the X config.

Rob

robone

This was posted on another forum by Frank.T

You need to convert the TTL signals to the needed RS232 levels on the ZeroUav products.
Make a pcb or buy a mini here:
http://www.ebay.nl/itm/280731969278?...d=379108254704

a5105704-67-Zero%20Wifi.png

Tuomas P.

Has anybody used the YS with Futaba 7008 Fasstest rx? I just succeeded in burning the controller simply by connecting it to the sbus port of the rx. Boom. The ic board fried just at the channel 7 area. Really dissappointed, as I can not find anything wrong except the burned MC.

TP,

Tuomas P. I understand it is a different receiver but I currently use successfully the Futaba R6203SB on my aircraft with the YS-X6. They are both SBUS so I would have to ask is there something different about these receivers that would cause the problem that you have described ?.

robone

I just successfully changed the IP range of the wifi module so my GCS on android communicates direct to the data link connected wifi module. No hot spot or router needed as the phone hotspot is talking to the module.

Hi Nic

Thanks for the help. I am going to post your method here again for everyone to use.

Change the IP range on the WiFi unit.
First be sure that you have connection to the WiFi-link, easiest to use a router and your PC on the existing YS-X6-XXXXX network we have all made up. Then in your we browser, type URL as 192.168.1.254 this wil show you the login screen of the wifi link.
*username* and *password* are the same: "admin"

Once inside the wifi link, Change on the top to English for easier reading
wink.gif

At the top right of the screen, go to *setup* (3rd link accross) and then scroll down and change the* local IP* to your desired IP address and press SAVE (for the Galaxy series TAB2/S3 make it: 192.168.43.254 )

Re-power the wifi unit and you should be able to connect directly your Samsung or any other device that use the same IP range x.x.43.x I use an app called FoxFi, its simply an app to shortcut the 'activation' of the hotspot.
If you have any issues in connecting the phone to the ground datalink via the wifi module, you may need to go into the GCS app, and in the settings (network settings) change the network IP to 192.168.43.254.

johnno

Hi All,
When are we going to see discussion on the ZERO-STEADI470 just cant wait,
Cheers from Down Under

johnno

Who has one yet? I wish I did.

Rc dragon Au is expecting 4only next week the demand world wide is huge and we are just a little island down under with kangaroos hopping up the main street,some holiday period in Hong Kong everybody has holiday which is holding up production. I missed out on this shipment will have to wait till next.
johnno.

nicwilke

Rc dragon Au is expecting 4only next week the demand world wide is huge and we are just a little island down under with kangaroos hopping up the main street,some holiday period in Hong Kong everybody has holiday which is holding up production. I missed out on this shipment will have to wait till next.
johnno.
Where is RC Dragon Au based?

johnno

In Melbourne sales@dragonrc.com.au I gave you a bum steer with the name sorry, I think he has sold all 4 but he is getting more in tell him I sent u.
chow Johnno.

johnno

Hi all, one question if one was to purchase the 900mhz data link your ground station would be close by while flying do you still need to have a router, Correct me if I am wrong but the router was required as a range extender for The wifi link yes/no.
cheers Johnno.

nicwilke

Hi all, one question if one was to purchase the 900mhz data link your ground station would be close by while flying do you still need to have a router, Correct me if I am wrong but the router was required as a range extender for The wifi link yes/no.
cheers Johnno.

Hey Johnno,
The router is only an bridge from the phone/tablet to the ground wifi link. When you have data link, you replace one wifi link with one datalink. On ground, you have one wifi link connected to battery and to the datalink. Yes, you still need a router to communicate from the phone to the wifi link (on ground) then the data link talks to the datalink in the air....
BUT... You can change the ground wifi modules IP address, so that you can communicate between phone/tablet directly to the wifi link. I'm using a Galaxy S3, so I needed to change the wifi range of the wifi module to a range that will communicate with the samsungs IP range (hotspot). So, I dont need a router anymore.

robone

cheers Johnno.

Hey Johnno,
The router is only an bridge from the phone/tablet to the ground wifi link. When you have data link, you replace one wifi link with one datalink. On ground, you have one wifi link connected to battery and to the datalink. Yes, you still need a router to communicate from the phone to the wifi link (on ground) then the data link talks to the datalink in the air....
BUT... You can change the ground wifi modules IP address, so that you can communicate between phone/tablet directly to the wifi link. I'm using a Galaxy S3, so I needed to change the wifi range of the wifi module to a range that will communicate with the samsungs IP range (hotspot). So, I dont need a router anymore.

If you use other Tablets like the HTC, there is no need to change the ip address when using it as a hotspot, as it starts allocating ip addresses using the same range as a router which is 192.168.1.1-192.168.1.254. With my setup, I have the wifi module talking to my hotspot tablet and connected to the ground based data link. No router needed.

Rob