YUN-1, anybody else pre-ordered this?

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
As a newbie I nearly clicked buy based on your video alone.. Then I Googled the cinestar 6 to see its £7,000. I suspect this won't have hurt your video either so I'll delay for a bit longer!

Quality of the video produced with this gimbal has very little to do with the frame its flying under, I can show you plenty of videos I've done with the same frame and Photohigher AV130 gimbal that don't even come close to what this gimbal can do. I think next time I need to strap a GoPro to the frame itself so people can see just how much the frame is actually moving while the gimbal stays steady.

Now that I think of it, take a look at the very first test flight I did with it and you can see just how much the frame does move in relation to the gimbal, watch the front arm come in and out of the top of the video frame...

And that was taking a SWAG at the settings right off the bench, the other video is after getting it fully dialed in. As long as the multi can handle the weight of the camera and gimbal you will see pretty much the same results as long as you use rubber isolators between the frame and gimbal, true for any gimbal, not just brushless.

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

tikigod19

That's not the yun-1 though is it? But should be the same effect you mean? I'll be using it with a gopro on an f550

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
That's not the yun-1 though is it? But should be the same effect you mean? I'll be using it with a gopro on an f550

No, that one is the larger GotHeli gimbal capable of carrying a Nex5 or a pair of GoPro. Honestly for the extra $100 I'd go with the bigger gimbal if your multi can carry it, gives you more options on what cameras you can use.

I have the YUN-1 almost ready to fly on a Mikrokopter Hexa, from what I've seen doing the initial setup on the bench the results should be pretty much the same. I'd really like to get it in the air today but the wind is currently gusting to 30mph here at the house so I think the wise move is to leave it on the bench today and do the first test flights in more manageable conditions. I'd hate to break something on the very first flight with it! Would make for a good test of its stability though...

I'll post video from the YUN-1 as soon as I can get a chance to fly it and make sure the settings are right.

Ken

tikigod19

Thanks Ken. I assumed the Nex version can only take the Nex and the gopro only the gopro. Is there one that will take both then? I assumed they were designed with one particular camera in mind..

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Thanks Ken. I assumed the Nex version can only take the Nex and the gopro only the gopro. Is there one that will take both then? I assumed they were designed with one particular camera in mind..

The bigger one can take up to a Nex 5 or similar size/weight camera and also work with anything smaller. You will need to retune the settings for a lighter load but it's not difficult to do and with the 2.0 release of firmware you'll be able to save settings to a file so all you need to do is load the correct one once you have it dialed in for a particular camera and have saved the config file.

Ken

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
So I decided to brave the gusty wind and give the YUN-1 a go under the MK Hexa, good test of how well it works. I guess I learned a bit about setting these gimbals up from the first one as this one looks to be near perfect off the bench. Couple things still need attention like a full calibration of the accelerometer and the supplied rubber isolation mounts are perhaps a bit soft as I can see the wind causing the whole mount to move a little bit but overall this one won't need much more than button up the details and go fly it. I may reverse the arm it hangs from to get the camera further out front and the landing gear out of the camera view but otherwise I'd say it's a perfectly viable mount. As usual, completely raw unedited video directly out of the oldest, most beat up GoPro Hero HD I have, this one has been stuffed into the ground several times FPV'ing and amazingly still works. You didn't think I was going to risk my Hero 3 Black test flying a new and untried gimbal now did you?... ;)

Ken

tikigod19

Looks fantastic, appreciate you taking the time to upload.

Could you link me to the nex5 compatible gimbal? Is it still a yun-1 or a different one alltogether?

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Looks fantastic, appreciate you taking the time to upload.

Could you link me to the nex5 compatible gimbal? Is it still a yun-1 or a different one alltogether?

The Nex 5 version is here... http://www.gothelirc.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=201&cat=Brushless+Gimbal

Completely different than the YUN-1 that can only carry a GoPro or similar size camera. The Nex version uses the "real" Alexmos controller while the YUN uses a clone. Both seem to work equally well so not sure that the "clone" thing means much in this case, I just hope Alex is getting a cut of the profits from FPVModel for his work developing it.

Ken

nicwilke

The Nex 5 version is here... http://www.gothelirc.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=201&cat=Brushless+Gimbal

Completely different than the YUN-1 that can only carry a GoPro or similar size camera. The Nex version uses the "real" Alexmos controller while the YUN uses a clone. Both seem to work equally well so not sure that the "clone" thing means much in this case, I just hope Alex is getting a cut of the profits from FPVModel for his work developing it.

Ken

Ken,
Thanks for the test and sharing. You should be getting kickbacks for the info you are supplying. There's plenty of samples out there to watch, but all with dull weather. Your videos feel alive and colourful which helps assess the gimbals. I'm waiting for both Alexmos and Martinez based gimbals, but think I'm still 2 weeks off :confused:

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2

tikigod19

Thanks Ken.. Decisions! What do you get with a nex5 over a gopro? For me I think I'd be happy with a gopro or a full size dslr and nice lens.. Not sure I'd go for that middle ground but happy to be talked into it..

NelsonFX

Ken,

What's the weight of the YUN-1 ? ( if you know, not asking you to take it off and weigh it. haha..) Is there much Difference than Nex-5 (got heli rc ) What about the quality of the two ? I see that the YUN-1 has the controller incased. what about the Nex-5?

I like the looks of the YUN-1 and probably will be using the gopro most of the time. But I also would like to step up to a sony RX100 or even better Nex-5 at some point. and the RX100 weighs in just over the 200g limit ( 213g. ) plus don't know width of the YUN-1 (RX100 is 101.6 mm )

I gotta have to have one. just didn't know which one. hum....

Both videos are quality!

Thanks,
Larry

PS: I am getting a little jealous man, You get all the good toys... haha..

abonto

Ken, very well done. I'm glad you received yours & went well, I'll be asking questions when I have, when I receive mine by next week okay. I hope you don't mind. Can you post your setup picture, including the wiring? Thanks in advance.

So I decided to brave the gusty wind and give the YUN-1 a go under the MK Hexa, good test of how well it works. I guess I learned a bit about setting these gimbals up from the first one as this one looks to be near perfect off the bench. Couple things still need attention like a full calibration of the accelerometer and the supplied rubber isolation mounts are perhaps a bit soft as I can see the wind causing the whole mount to move a little bit but overall this one won't need much more than button up the details and go fly it. I may reverse the arm it hangs from to get the camera further out front and the landing gear out of the camera view but otherwise I'd say it's a perfectly viable mount. As usual, completely raw unedited video directly out of the oldest, most beat up GoPro Hero HD I have, this one has been stuffed into the ground several times FPV'ing and amazingly still works. You didn't think I was going to risk my Hero 3 Black test flying a new and untried gimbal now did you?... ;)

Ken

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Ken,
Thanks for the test and sharing. You should be getting kickbacks for the info you are supplying. There's plenty of samples out there to watch, but all with dull weather. Your videos feel alive and colourful which helps assess the gimbals. I'm waiting for both Alexmos and Martinez based gimbals, but think I'm still 2 weeks off :confused:

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2

I don't get kickbacks but I do often get early delivery while other folks sit at the computer waiting for a tracking number... :D

I've been waiting for this technology at a reasonable price for a while now, it's the biggest reason why I didn't jump on the Zenmuse bandwagon, I knew it wasn't going to be long before the Zen got leapfrogged by less expensive tech that works just as good. On the other hand you almost have to give away a servo driven gimbal now, suddenly no one wants them.

Ken

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Also, if i went gopro.. Would you expect this to be as good as the others?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1855002

That one is little more than a clone of the YUN-1. The only "improvements" I can see is if they include the C/F cage for the GoPro. So far there's only a couple controller boards out there that are proven to work and most of the firmware is barely a step beyond beta test so I have a hard time believing it's better than any of the others that are available now unless they did a complete in-house design and development project on their own version of the controller board and software. Somehow I doubt they did that...

Ken

nicwilke

I've always been good at preparing to jump ship. My AV130 was sold with the Skyline a month ago. I'm so glad I did, as 90% of what I need is Hero Black based, and will need NEX5r or something similar this coming winter. Again, thanks for sharing, even your PH gear tests were helpful to me. I'm absolutely panicking with excitement for the first of my brushless gimbals to arrive, I am weeks away... Cannot stand it. I just want one to play with now. I think at this stage, the Mastor-G will be here first. That could be late next week, but I dont like my chances at even that.
I don't get kickbacks but I do often get early delivery while other folks sit at the computer waiting for a tracking number... :D

I've been waiting for this technology at a reasonable price for a while now, it's the biggest reason why I didn't jump on the Zenmuse bandwagon, I knew it wasn't going to be long before the Zen got leapfrogged by less expensive tech that works just as good. On the other hand you almost have to give away a servo driven gimbal now, suddenly no one wants them.

Ken

tikigod19

So it appears the mastor-g firmware is improved over alexmos..?!

Mastor-G brushless gimbal, March 29, 2013*Was this review helpful?*****(4)**|***(0)I am very interested in this gimbal. 1. When do you think it will start shipping? 2. Does it use an AlexMos control board? 3. Will it be complete, adjusted and ready to be mounted and flown? 4. Can you tell me anything else about it?Reply(4)The improved hardware and firmware control board of AlexMos project will be sold alone without frame.By*BEVRC*March 29, 2013Was this review helpful?*****(0)**|***(0)Updated: the final version will be equipped with more powerful control board for our GH2 gimbals at the same price.By*BEVRC*March 29, 2013Was this review helpful?*****(0)**|***(0)im intersted in this beautiful piece of art, just to ask, it comes with controller board already? out curiosity question, this gimbal can work on naza as a controller board?/ thanksBy*formentera*March 23, 2013Was this review helpful?*****(0)**|***(0)We can shipped in about 10 days,all the test work has been done and is under production now. Yes, you\'re right, the hardware is compatible with AlexMos\'s firmware, you can flash AlexMos firmware yourself, but I think you will prefer our firmware, it\'s a plug and play system, add your gopro to fly, the first batch we ship will be adjusted well already for gopro hero3, for other camera, you need to adjust yourself, which is very easy for you guys I think.

tikigod19

Found this on their Facebook page too..

BevrcBy Mastor's entrusted, we post mastor's declaration as below:Latest news: the Mastor-G's controlled board will be updated to the much more advanced and mature control board for GH2/GH3. The released time won't be delayed since we have 3 options for Mastor-G, also Mastor have all the intelligent property for the Mastor-G's frame(include Yun-1's frame design). Mastor will open-source all the improved firmware for AlexMos' project to make it a real open-source project.About the differences between Mastor-G and Yun1:Mastor has developed the brushless gimbals for over 1 year already, and help Yun1 design their frame and help to improve Yun1 since last year,Mastor have all the intelligent property of the frame design and never transfer it to anyone else.The Yun1 project have some flaws to make it delayed over 3 months and didn't solved till today, the AlexMos's 1.2B firmware will generate a pulse big current as high as 4A when start,which cause vibration during start and have a higher possibility to burn the motors, the Yun1's controlled board is bad designed and have hardware flaw which will cause a large number of I2C communication errors between the main-board and the IMU board which cause it hardly to work properly.Mastor improved the hardware and firmware both, fix all the problems, also re-design the frame to make it more stable and have no limit of pitch and roll, but since it's original from AlexMos's project and it's not open-source now, we decide to use our own control board originally designed for GH2/GH3 brushless gimbals, powered by 32-bits high performance ARM7 processor with our own algorithms, not only PID control as AlexMos's project, much faster react and no 12k noise during working, the total performance will beyond your imagination.At the meantime, we will open source all the improved firmware for AlexMos's project to benefit customers