Y6 Builders thread

vislaw

I'm late coming to this thread but figured better late than never. Having flown both a Droidworx ADH6 and the Y6, the Y is my favorite. My business is forensic animation and we rely heavily on high-res aerial footage (static and video). I use a GH2 on an AV130 gimbal and the ability to shoot between the wide booms is very important. With the ADH6 there was often a boom intruding into the frame. Moreover, the smaller size and Y configuration make it easy to transport. I use two Quadropower 6200mAh 4S batteries with the WKM system and I get about 12 minutes flight times using 80% of the battery capacity. Can't say enough about the WKM performance on this Y. It just hangs wherever you park it in GPS mode and with Graupner 11 x 5 e-props it scoots around like a terrier but is remarkably stable even in moderate wind. I use the DJI View Groundstation on a Pansonic Toughbook in the field and find it very useful for precise positioning and for monitoring altitude when doing high elevation shoots. My clients are lawyers and civil engineers and I often mount the groundstation on a tripod where they can observe it along with a video downlink from the Y when they attend a shoot. Never fails to impress and please the clients and, let's face it -- impressing and pleasing the people who pay the bills is really important in this business. I like where DJI is going and I have to assume we're entering a very exciting phase as technology advances.

http://www.multirotorforums.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4055&d=1329094288

I do have an S800 with Zenmuse coming in May but I am confident the Y will continue to be a workhorse that flies regularly.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Do you feel the Y6 does better in wind than the flat hex? Also, I didnt think about the fact that you can have shorter arms with the Y since the props are spaced so much further apart. I may very well try this out! I think Bart's XY8 is still the best of all worlds and if I stay in this hobby I will definitely be going that route.

Whats the verdict on y6 vs. flat hex redundancy? Seems to me a y6 has to be able to fly on 3 motors thrust to work with a motor out-right?

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Aye Up Vislaw..

That looks a nice build.. couple of questions.

So you know what your fully loaded take off weight is?
Motors?
ESC's?
Is that a ADX3HL or standard?..
Do you have the Boom Nacelle fitted?

Dave

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Dave, as I have identical equipment as you, what size props are you using top/bottom? Also, I am thinking if I cut out 3 arms from my hex to make it a Y6, is there advantage to cutting them shorter? Initially i thought a bigger airframe would inherently be more stable but I remember some debate when the DJI WKM first came out as to wether or not it did better with a smaller frame.

vislaw

Aye Up Vislaw..

That looks a nice build.. couple of questions.

So you know what your fully loaded take off weight is?
Motors?
ESC's?
Is that a ADX3HL or standard?..
Do you have the Boom Nacelle fitted?

Dave

Frame: DW Y-6 V3 Heavy Lifter
Motors: Avroto 770KV
ECS's: HobbyWing 30amp
LED's: Xogear WaterProof

I do have the nacelles on the booms.
I need to get a scale and weigh it to determine the takeoff weight. I'm carrying a mondo stinger tx for the video downlink from a 700 line mini-camera. I messed with an HDMI converter board to pull video from the GH2 directly but the quality sucked. I'm going to experiment with a patch antenna to improve the video downlink.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Dave, as I have identical equipment as you, what size props are you using top/bottom? Also, I am thinking if I cut out 3 arms from my hex to make it a Y6, is there advantage to cutting them shorter? Initially i thought a bigger airframe would inherently be more stable but I remember some debate when the DJI WKM first came out as to wether or not it did better with a smaller frame.

On my standard lifter I have tried many combos.. 10x5 graupners seem the dogs jobber.. still experimenting with the bigun.. not thought of going as small as Vislaw but seeing I have a shed load of Graupner 11x5si maywell give them a whirl..

@Vislaw.. would be good to know your all up weight and what lens u using?

anyone know the weight of a GH2 with 18/55lens or what ever the standard is?

Dave

vislaw

On my standard lifter I have tried many combos.. 10x5 graupners seem the dogs jobber.. still experimenting with the bigun.. not thought of going as small as Vislaw but seeing I have a shed load of Graupner 11x5si maywell give them a whirl..

@Vislaw.. would be good to know your all up weight and what lens u using?

anyone know the weight of a GH2 with 18/55lens or what ever the standard is?

Dave

Here's the weights from the Lumix site:

Panasonic/Lumix GH2:

Approx. 444 g / 15.66 oz (SD card, Battery, Body)
Approx. 609 g / 21.48 oz (SD Memory Card, Battery, 14-42 mm lens included)
Approx. 904 g / 31.88 oz (SD Memory Card, Battery, 14-140 mm lens included)
Approx. 392 g / 13.82 oz (Body only)

vislaw

Turns out IrisAerial is located in the North Bay and when I bought some FPV stuff from him today he suggested I meet him at Mariner's Point where he was going Kite Surfing. The dude is very cool and although I had to leave before he got in the water, I promised to come back and get some footage of he and his kite-surfing buddies out in the bay...
View attachment 4068

Attachments

• DroidersMeet.jpg
    DroidersMeet.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 302

plingboot

@dave, does your smaller Y6 comfortably lift an AV130? What's the largest/heaviest camera it can 'happily' lift with the AV130?

Just trying to workout whether the AV130 is all i'm going to eventually need or whether i'm going to have to look at upgrading the motors too…

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
After seeing Vislaw's y6 fly yesterday I am really curious how a flat hex would do in comparable winds. He didnt have a chance to fly in our normal 20+ kitesurfing winds but it was at least 15mph and it was steady as a rock. We both have identical components just in different configs. He was able to fly that thing for what seemed like over 10 minutes, held position perfectly, flew smoothly. I am impressed and have never got that from mine in any wind at all. I am also sold on how much easier it is to see the orientation in the air. That is a good enough reason right there!

vislaw

@dave, does your smaller Y6 comfortably lift an AV130? What's the largest/heaviest camera it can 'happily' lift with the AV130?

Just trying to workout whether the AV130 is all i'm going to eventually need or whether i'm going to have to look at upgrading the motors too…

I fly a GH2 with my AV130. I use a 14mm and 20mm prime and it lifts fine with 9 to 12 minute flight time using two 6200 4S lipos in parallel. The GH2/GH1 pretty much maxes out the width you can carry with the AV130. I don't think you can get anything bigger in that gimbal.

vislaw

After seeing Vislaw's y6 fly yesterday I am really curious how a flat hex would do in comparable winds. He didnt have a chance to fly in our normal 20+ kitesurfing winds but it was at least 15mph and it was steady as a rock. We both have identical components just in different configs. He was able to fly that thing for what seemed like over 10 minutes, held position perfectly, flew smoothly. I am impressed and have never got that from mine in any wind at all. I am also sold on how much easier it is to see the orientation in the air. That is a good enough reason right there!

Looking forward to flying with you soon. Gotta go to Reno and then L.A. but week after this should be pretty open. I'll bring my buddy with his hex too and we can fly up at your joint or somewhere we wont' get into trouble.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast

My little one flys the AV130 and Nex5 no mither. I get about 7 min from tired 5000mah 4cell. Just got some new batteries but not had chance to try tem yet. I can squeeze the 550d in there but you would not be able to get a live feed out of the side.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Turns out IrisAerial is located in the North Bay and when I bought some FPV stuff from him today he suggested I meet him at Mariner's Point where he was going Kite Surfing. The dude is very cool and although I had to leave before he got in the water, I promised to come back and get some footage of he and his kite-surfing buddies out in the bay...
View attachment 5606

Good stuff.. matching boots to!

yeehaanow

Just noticed today that my bottom motors all have some play along the shaft axis, as in, the bell moves up and down a little, but the top motors do not.
Anyone notice more wear on the bottom motors due to the orientation? Is there more wear on the bearings pushing vs pulling? I would think it should be the same.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Just noticed today that my bottom motors all have some play along the shaft axis, as in, the bell moves up and down a little, but the top motors do not.
Anyone notice more wear on the bottom motors due to the orientation? Is there more wear on the bearings pushing vs pulling? I would think it should be the same.

I aint noticed any play in my AXI's

Dave