Y6 Builders thread

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
There is a growing number of members building Y6 configured MR's

I own two (see below)

It would be nice to get fellow Y6 flyers to contribute and tell members thinking of using this configuration why you chose it and post up some pics of yours.

I built these two because I LOVE the way they look.... there said it :tennis:

attachment.php
attachment.php

thepelell

those look very cool... my y6 is very ghetto compared to yours... one day i'd like to find time to build mine properly and get rid of all external wires and esc so it looks tidy...
anyway, after haveing used an X8 copter for 6 months, i decided i wanted a y6 with foldable arms for trasnport purposes, the x8 was a p.i.t.a to load in a fully loaded car.
Y6 is also way better for orientation.
mine started off as a blueskyrc.com spider frame , i modified it a bit to allow folding front booms.
View attachment 3949View attachment 3950View attachment 3951View attachment 3952View attachment 3953

AQ50D board, Emax GT2215/12 upper motors, GT2215/09 lower motors. 11x45 APCE top, 10x5 Xoar bottom. Turnigy Plush 30, quadframe.com landing gear , 4s 5000 25c turnigy lipo, Panasonic GF2 with 14-42 camera. 5.8Ghz 200mW TX with separate camera, 3.2kg AUW . 8 minutes flight time.

Attachments

• DSC_0012.jpg
    DSC_0012.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 487
  • DSC_0013.jpg
    DSC_0013.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 519
  • DSC_0044.jpg
    DSC_0044.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 485
  • DSC_0070.JPG
    DSC_0070.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 553
  • Y6-monza2012.jpg
    Y6-monza2012.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 448
Last edited by a moderator:

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Great stuff..
Nice post.. How does it fly with the different motor / prop combos? Is this particular to the FC type you are using? I would have thought bigger on the bottom!

Dave

PS everyone posting in this thread
It would be good if we can add pics from your albums by copying the (img) link from your MRF album so we get full size images rather than thumbnails. Its just easier to view.

thepelell

i have always used faster motors with smaller/higher pitched props on bottom. Most reading online suggested this way, and i made some not so scientific tests last year and found out it gave best thrust combination.
I tried putting same props and motors on top with the AQ50D, and it flew terribly, had very bad yaw issues; it was like sometimes lower motors didn't have enough grunt to react to top motor torque, so i went back to this config.
For pics, i have them all on google+ and i can't find a way to get full image url with these stupid popup images...

ZAxis

Why a Y6 ? Good question....
Basically its the best compromise between compactness and capability. It can be a bit of shock to people just how big and unwieldy MRs can be. Droidworx and DJI have acknowledged this with designs for removable or folding arms. Thepelell seems to have cracked this in his own way, nice one. We started off with a regular MK hexa and homebuilt gimbal and it did us well for the first year while we gained experience but ultimately we needed something with a decent gimbal and enough grunt to lift a Canon 500d size camera. A quad would be too small, a flat hexa would be getting too big in heavylift configuration and an octo was way too big and expensive. Coaxial seemed the way to go, so it was down to a X4 or Y6 and since we had all the control gear for a 6 motor rig we decided to go Y6.
For aerial photo or video work unless you have a 360 deg gimbal you need as wide an angle between rotors at the front and only X4 and Y6 provide this. X-Y8 and butterfly X are interesting hybrids and may well find a place in the pantheon.
Since moving over to Y6 we have learnt that it is a configuration that needs a more precise build than others, it is critical to get the motors aligned vertically and don't trust manufacturer's alignment holes to be fit and forget. Get it right as you build.

Configuration - Droidworx AD3X-HL / MK electronics / Torxpower motors / APC 13x6 props

View attachment 3954

Since I only build the things I'll leave it to Lec to comment on flying qualities.

View attachment 3955
View attachment 3956View attachment 3957View attachment 3958

andy

(PS ---- the truth is that we saw Droider's Y6 long ago and lusted after it forever until we could afford one ! )

photo credit : Chris Davis
http://www.chrisdaviesphotography.com/Events

Attachments

• Build_w.jpg
    Build_w.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 538
  • SatOnGround_w.jpg
    SatOnGround_w.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 586
  • FlyingSideOn_w.jpg
    FlyingSideOn_w.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 467
  • FlyingFront_w.jpg
    FlyingFront_w.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 461
  • FlyingFromBelow_w.jpg
    FlyingFromBelow_w.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 476
Last edited by a moderator:

tstrike

pendejo grande
Man, you guys are killing me, I'm slowly collecting pieces for my first real home build and thought I was going with a hexa design, but these always catch my eye and I find myself waffling again. Any of the DJI fc's support this configuration (wanting to use the WKM controller). Sweet stuff guys!

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Aye Up tstrike.. BOTH my standard and heavy lifter are WKM..

Infact all my MR's are now

Dave

tstrike

pendejo grande
Morning Dave (at least it is here), thanks, now I'm going to spend my day searching for build threads on these things. My ultimate goal is trying to lift no bigger then a 60D (a little lighter than a 5d, a little heavier than a 550d) with gimbal and hopefully that gimbal will be a photohigher 200 (they really impressed me), am I dreaming or biting off more than a newb should? give it to me straight, I can take it!-
tom

ZAxis

So Anakin Droider you have finally gone completely over to the darkside. Did you get fed up of the Alice in Wonderland experience that is MK ?

Luke

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Morning Dave (at least it is here), thanks, now I'm going to spend my day searching for build threads on these things. My ultimate goal is trying to lift no bigger then a 60D (a little lighter than a 5d, a little heavier than a 550d) with gimbal and hopefully that gimbal will be a photohigher 200 (they really impressed me), am I dreaming or biting off more than a newb should? give it to me straight, I can take it!-
tom

My heavy lifter is pretty much at its limit with 2 5000mah packs and the 550D giving about 12/14 mins flight time. When I say limit I mean it will carry it but I like whumf to get me out of trouble.. Mine still has that get up and go I like which is pretty quick to climb out.. mine all up is about 4.1kilos as heavy as it gets with above and fpv gear.. As new battery technologies emerge then it will get better.. I think there is one that is 1100mah for 800grams which if I could afford one right now I would give it a whirl but its about £300! The two 5000mah are 1000grams.

Dave

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
So Anakin Droider you have finally gone completely over to the darkside. Did you get fed up of the Alice in Wonderland experience that is MK ?

Luke
Luke Luke hear me Luke... you got it all wrong I have walked in to the light and I am FREE! Free from the darkholgarlord!
Take the Step Luke... Take the Step!

plingboot

Attachments

• Y6_01.jpg
    Y6_01.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 523
  • Y6_02.jpg
    Y6_02.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 492
  • Y6_03.jpg
    Y6_03.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 525
  • Y6_04.jpg
    Y6_04.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 496

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Aye Up Dave.. do u want some spacers rather than use boom clamps for the places the hexa booms should have been.. Think I have quite a few floating about.. may save a gram or two.. What camera mount is that? how easy is it to remove the camera?

Dave

plingboot

thanks for the offer dave but i'm good - i had a boom clamp in there for the PH mount comp, as i mounted the camera on a boom in there.

i've since replaced them with spacers.

the mount is an aeroXcraft, getting the camera in and out is pretty easy.

yeehaanow

i have always used faster motors with smaller/higher pitched props on bottom. Most reading online suggested this way, and i made some not so scientific tests last year and found out it gave best thrust combination.I tried putting same props and motors on top with the AQ50D, and it flew terribly, had very bad yaw issues; it was like sometimes lower motors didn't have enough grunt to react to top motor torque, so i went back to this config.For pics, i have them all on google+ and i can't find a way to get full image url with these stupid popup images...
Turned a CS 6 into a Y6 and having the yaw issues you describe. I'm ready to try smaller props on the bottom, but I'm wondering about the configuration to make it work. Are all Y6's counter clockwise top and clockwise bottom?

GmeisteR

Where do you guys buy these Y6 frames? every Store i lookup that sells droidworx frames they dont have a coax y6 frame :p