XAircraft X650v Tech help please?

KilBy; It looks like the SBus only works with a Futaba transmitter. I am currently using a JR 9303. Have you seen any solution that would allow me to use the JR.

Airaid John; Do you have an email adress to the XAircraft rep above. I would like to see if they will replace my AHRS gyro. I did the drifting problem test described above and found that i have the same problem.

Dose anyone know what kind of sensors the AHRS is using.

Will check it out and report.
Just got off the phone with the person I purchased my X650 V8 from and let him know about some of the issues we are talking about on this thread. He said that most of the problems we are describing are related to the six pin connectors between the FC and the AHRS and the FC and the GPS, which includes the drifting of the unit in ATT mode and awkward gyrations when in the RTH mode . He said the problem arises from faulty wires on the six pin connector or the connector themselves not being seated properly. Worth checking into. Let us know if you find anything.

Jingchen is on support@xaircraft.com good luck and keep me posted.
KilBy; It looks like the SBus only works with a Futaba transmitter. I am currently using a JR 9303. Have you seen any solution that would allow me to use the JR.

Airaid John; Do you have an email adress to the XAircraft rep above. I would like to see if they will replace my AHRS gyro. I did the drifting problem test described above and found that i have the same problem.

Dose anyone know what kind of sensors the AHRS is using.

kuau

I replaced both 6 pin cables with new ones I got from Jeff at CNC, did not help at all, Flys ok for a while then things get a little weird, I have yet togo the RTH to work, and I know my GPS module is good well at least I have a steady green light on.
I am still learning and fly in ATH mode only and in theory I though when you let go of the stick for 2 seconds its suppose to hover in place, again I have never seen this work for me. Always wants to drift.
I tried calibrating the AHRS using the "Glass on the props" method, I put a small bubble on the glass right above the AHRS, meticulously tried to get the V8 as level as possible then hit calibrate.
Again,. flew ok for a few minutes then starts the drift again,

Jzquad

Kuau, I still have the same issues as you do. When I switch to ATH MODE the model does not hold the position, it always drifts to one side and/or front or Back.
I have continued to do tests on the AHRS drifting and no matter how many times I calibrate, when I let the model sit after calibration, I monitor the drifting with XAIRCRAFT center and sure enough, withing 10 mins, the AHRS has drifted 8-10 degrees.
Can any of you do the same test?
I thought I got a defective AHRS , but after reading many threads, seems like this is a much bigger issue that is affecting many people.

Well Folks I will need to find a different source for flight control on my x650v8. I have not received a reply from the Xaircraft so far. I do not wish to sit back hopping that they are working hard to fix it. In my mind I payed for a working product. I am very happy with the airframe as a hole, it just needs a new flight control. I have 5 options below. Please let me know what you think.

1. Hoverfly @http://shop.hoverflytech.com/HoverflyGPS-HF-GPS-00001.htm
Hoverfly seem to have all the futures of the Xaircraft for about $900USD I am not sure if it is plug and play.

2. Mikrokopter @http://www.mikrokopter.us/shop/index.php?route=product/category&path=35
Mikrokopter looks like it has a lot of parts and a lot of construction that will need to be completed by thecustomer. I also do not know what parts are right for my application.

3. DJI @http://www.dji-innovations.com/minisite/index_en.html
DJI seems to have their s**t together. It is an all in one set up for about $1100USD. Has excellent reviews all over the web. Draw back is that it will not support the gimbaland all 8 speed controllers out of the box. Furthermore I will need to get a new transmitter for gimbal control and the price is very high $1100USD.

4. OpenPilot @http://www.openpilot.org/product/coptercontrol/
OpenPilot is less then a hundred USD but currently only supports up to a Y6 format.

5. Arducopter @http://code.google.com/p/arducopter/
Arducopter seems to be the best bet. It has cross-platform compatibility standard helicopter, quads, Y6, t4, and X8s. It only runs about $400USD with a telemetry setup. It is open source (don't know if this is good or bad).

Please let me know what direction you are leaning in if you decide to abandon the Xaircraft flight controller

Last edited by a moderator:

Bowley

It seems I'm not alone in my V8 problem of drifting/rolling. (severe port fwd in my case).
It was my intention to fit a WKM sooner or later, I guess it will have to be sooner unless someone can point to a cause and remedy.
At the moment its useless.

I received a reply from XAircraft. They asked if I "could you take a video of the oscilloscope? selecting the pitch, roll and yaw rates. after calibration, the rates should be wave near the zero." I do not have access to an oscilloscope at the moment but if some one on this thread has one and can do the test for XAirCraft it may speed things up for a solution.

Bowley

Ccdan: did you send that trace to XA? Who do you have to send it to? I'll send mine as well. Hoping Jeff @ XA USA will steer me in the right direction.
I'm stuck. V8 just sitting on a shelf. The only thing I can think of to do is revert to older firmware or software and see what that brings about. With the new software the AHRS has no user defined values ie no way to tweak it.

Browley, Yes I sent an email to XAirCraft and yes you are correct about what he wanted me to record. Below is a link to what i recorded. I have emailed Jingchen with XAirCraft support@xaircraft.com. As you can see from the video only the yaw it drifting this time. I do not know what it is but the yaw accelerometer is pegged out at 1.0 the entire time. Last time it was the roll that drifted and i did not pay any attention to the accelerometer readings. One last note is that the unit was pulled from the airframe and sat on my workbench the entire time. I will wait for a reply from Jingchen and post it here.

I see two possibilities; One: the sensors are defective or Two: the programing is misinterpreting the information being sent from the sensors. I will try the same test inside and out side.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdRHH0O6jyI

Last edited by a moderator:

Bowley

My Z Axis was also 1, is this normal? sometimes its 1, sometimes its 0. its 1 right now with major drift in all 3 channels, when i flew this morning I think it was 0 and I flew for a few minutes with no perceivable drift. I'll keep an eye on that z axis see if I can determine a trend.

Here is my trace I filmed last night:

http://vimeo.com/32391920

Bowley

I am also planning on a WKM eventually but not yet. I was going to upgrade when I was ready to go for some autonomy. I just want full manual just now. I didnt plan on going the XA GPS/Compass route, rather put that cost towards WKM.
Is the WKM compatable with everything else on the X650? I gather there is an issue running 8 motors and gimbal, requiring Futaba SBus. annoying because I use Hitec.
How did you solve your drifting issues when you used your XA FC?
I had one flight today where in under 2 minutes my V8 was in forward runaway, had to force land with a little velocity, not nice.

Kilby

Anyone out there not having issues? Would like to hear from you.

I have actually had zero problems with my X650, but I would say that's only because I have avoided most of them. Since the majority of the problems people report come from the compass or GPS, I have not added them to my set up (will instead use that money towards a WK-M). Several folks have complained about the firmware, so i have stuck with an older version that works for me (1.32 I believe) and won't be upgrading any time soon. I also don't use the standard XA props that were exploding on people left and right. Instead, I had to drill out a set of APC props to fit the odd ball sized XA motors.

I went with XA because I wanted to be able to use position hold, but since so many people are reporting problems with the GPS, I'll instead be using that money towards the purchase of a WK-M. It's a shame, I really wanted XA to finally have their $#!t together, but it seems that's not the case. In the end, I feel I spent good money on a defective product with no solution in sight. I can fly it now to do some simple manually controlled flights, but I still fall short of the goal when I started this project. I also don't feel very comfortable with the craft, so I generally won't fly it anywhere near other people.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Yeah, the comfort thing is HUGE. I am just barely recovered from my exploding props. It has taken months to reassure myself that by using good equipment this will not happen again.

Bowley

After speaking with Mark from Xaircraft.co.uk I think you might be right about it being a firmware issue.
He sells these RTF and has had no problems. He is going to raise the issue with Jingchen. I hope its just as simple as reloading the firmware as he suggests. I am looking fwd to getting this sorted. I have flown my V8 a little and when its flying right I love it.