Wookong Woes

Aviator

Battery level set. Not sure what 'declination setting is'? How do calibrate the gyro, I thought you didn't have too. And no I didn't move the model.

But any gyro or IMU error should show in all flight conditions no?

I know that most of us men dont read the manual until something goes wrong? But I think the first few pages state it is very important to calibrate the compass... If you didnt think you had to? then maybe browse through the manual... There is probably a few things that you should have done before flying?

Those doing aerial video work will get a much smoother video in attitude versus GPS mode.
RTH requires the MR to switch into GPS mode for the return flight path.
If there are any inflight center of gravity, joystick trimming and/or calibration issues such as angle of declination errors combined with some turbulent breeze or thernal activity, one should expect RTU autonomous mode to struggle to correct from such errors repeatedly.
Then there are potential mechanically related issues with motor/prop choices etc.

modles

Nerdlinger
I know that most of us men dont read the manual until something goes wrong? But I think the first few pages state it is very important to calibrate the compass... If you didnt think you had to? then maybe browse through the manual... There is probably a few things that you should have done before flying?

He didn't say compass, he said gyro. Completely different sensor Aviator.

Nowhere that I can see is it mentioned about calibrating the offset of the gyros. This would also be pretty silly as it would change every time due to temp. A good kalman filter will track the bias correctly. And I'm also guessing it might be averaged on power up to use as a starting point. The ADXRS gyros which most people think are used in the WKM suffer very little from drift anyway and like most gyros have temp sensors built in.

Last edited by a moderator:

modles

Nerdlinger
Those doing aerial video work will get a much smoother video in attitude versus GPS mode.
RTH requires the MR to switch into GPS mode for the return flight path.
If there are any inflight center of gravity, joystick trimming and/or calibration issues such as angle of declination errors combined with some turbulent breeze or thernal activity, one should expect RTU autonomous mode to struggle to correct from such errors repeatedly.
Then there are potential mechanically related issues with motor/prop choices etc.

If there were any issues like you say, then we would experience the same issue when in gps hold, and when returning to home after being manually walked across the field (as stated before), and this is not the case, it holds great in gps, even in gusting 20mph wind. Also you would see them in gps mode full stop. And throttle stick raise in gps mode controls the vertical rate not the throttle directly.

Motor/prop choice is stock DJI pairing.

Something else entirely is at fault here, not setup or calibration.

modles

Nerdlinger
BTW, I apologise if I'm starting to sound a little peed off, I am grateful for the input, but the comments people are coming back with now have no relation to the actual issue in hand.
But then I understand this is kind of to be expected as we are all running out of ideas!

To be honest, I think the only avenue left is DJI, or someone who has directly experienced what I am.

Aviator

He didn't say compass, he said gyro. Completely different sensor Aviator.

Nowhere that I can see is it mentioned about calibrating the offset of the gyros. This would also be pretty silly as it would change every time due to temp. A good kalman filter will track the bias correctly. And I'm also guessing it might be averaged on power up to use as a starting point. The ADXRS gyros which most people think are used in the WKM suffer very little from drift anyway and like most gyros have temp sensors built in.

I was talking about the declination calibration (Which is the calibration of the compass) True north vs Magnetic North and EMI offset that was mentioned.. My fault I should have been clearer? You cannot calibrate the offset of the gyros on the WKM as you can on some others..

Aviator

Digital Compass Calibration
Why calibrate the compass?
Ferromagnetic substances placed on the multi rotor or around its working environment will affect the reading of magnetic earth for the digital compass, it also reduces the accuracy of the multi rotor control, or even reads an incorrect heading. Calibration will eliminate such influences, and ensure the MC system performs well in a non-ideal magnetic environment.

When to do it?

The first time you install WKM on your multi rotor.

When the multi rotor mechanical setup is changed:
a) If the GPS/Compass module is re-positioned.
b) If electronic devices are added/removed/ re-positioned (Main Controller, servos, batteries, etc). c) When the mechanical structure of the multi rotor is changed.

If the flight direction appears to be shifting (meaning the multi rotor doesn’t "fly straight").

The LED indicator often indicates abnormality blinking when the multi rotor yaws. (It is normal for this to happen occasionally.)
Note:

Don’t calibrate your compass where there is strong magnetic interference, such as magnetite, car

park, and steel reinforcement under the ground.

DO NOT carry ferromagnetic materials with you during calibration, such as keys or cell phones.

You don’t need to rotate your multi rotor on a precise horizontal or vertical surface, but keep at least

45°difference between horizontal and vertical calibration.

The MC cannot work in the polar circle.

Calibration procedure
STEP1:
Enter calibration mode: quickly switch the control mode switch from Manual Mode to GPS Atti.

Mode
for 6 to 10 times, The LED indicator will turn on constantly blue;

STEP2:
Calibration in horizontal: rotate your multi rotor along the horizontal axis until the LED changes

to constant green, then go to the next step;

STEP3:
Calibration in vertical: while the LED is green, hold your multi rotor vertically and rotate it along

with its vertical axis, keep rotating until the LED turns off, meaning the calibration is finished.
©2012 DJI Innovations. All Rights Reserved.
40 |
STEP4:
After you finished the calibration, The LED indicator will show whether the calibration was
successful or not:

If the LED turns on white for 3 seconds, then the calibration was successful, calibration mode
will exit automatically.

If the LED quickly flashes red, the calibration has failed. Switch the control mode switch one

time to cancel the current calibration, and then re-start from step 1 for re-calibration.
Tips:
If you keep having calibration failure, it might suggest that there is very strong magnetic interference
around the GPS & Compass module, please avoid flying in this area.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
could be, but if his IOC works and his GPS hold it would be a strange on the the RTH and Failsafe doesn't because the Compass wasn't calibrated correctly !

Boris

modles

Nerdlinger
Never seen any failure in compass calibration, always works fine, white light for 3 seconds.

I have done this a few times, usually at new flying sites. No effect on problem.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
modles write an email to DJI support no reason for waiting since it will probably take time until they respond anyways ! Link your video and that of the other guy. I will try to find the third one that had the same issues !

Boris

Aviator

Never seen any failure in compass calibration, always works fine, white light for 3 seconds.

I have done this a few times, usually at new flying sites. No effect on problem.

O.K I thought you were unaware of the procedure when you mentioned you didn`t know what declination is?. It is necessary to state the obvious when you have no first hand experience with the problem and with someone else you dont know and their experience level, you have to assume they are an idiot :) otherwise you spend hours trying to solve a problem that was infact in the first page of the manual... There is an answer and I hope you reach it, with any luck it will be something that has been overlooked.

Aviator

I lived in Ludham near Wroxham for a couple of years, if I was still there I would happily come and give you a hand... And please do post when the problem is resolved, we all learn from mistakes, be it our own or someone elses.. I helped someone before with a problem when the machine shook on the way back in RTL mode and it was the gains, but your problem seems to be more of a strange jerky movement than an oscillation..
Dean.

modles

Nerdlinger
Interesting, this is the reply from the guy with the same problem....

"DJI replaced it for me and the new one works fine now. I couldnt figure it out and DJI were also dumb found!"

So am i best to go through quadcopters.co.uk or DJI direct?

heli001

Triple Tree Aerodrome
Interesting, this is the reply from the guy with the same problem....

So am i best to go through quadcopters.co.uk or DJI direct?

Modles,

If it was me....I would send DJI an email and tell them what you are doing....THEN, I would contact my Dealer by phone and fol;llow up with an email to them (Dealer). That way, DJI AND your Dealer are in the Loop and see what happens. If you are having any trouble with your Dealer...GO to DJI directly.......

modles

Nerdlinger
Sorry no solution yet, was going to contact the dealer I bought it from.

It's really odd though, it feels like it should be a software issue, not a hardware one. I wonder how common this is?

modles

Nerdlinger
I have emailed Geoff at quadcopters.co.uk, but no reply yet. I think he must think I'm the customer from hell as I already had to send iOSD and datalink receiver back for being suspected faulty.

I'm, hoping he might pick up on this thread and talk to DJI.

What's even more frustrating is i had a working WKM last year but sold it when I was a bit short of cash. Now bought another and it's a lemon.