Wookong Woes

modles

Nerdlinger
Hey Guys

Right maiden flight today or the wookong today, and I must admit, it didn't go anywhere near as smoothly as the NAZA.

Here is a complete list of the problems I had, I'm guessing some might be related? But if anyone can chime in on them I would massively appreciate it.

1) Even with full charged up 3s and 4s packs I could only fly for about 1 minute, and then with minimal accent speeds. If i turn of the battery monitor, it was ok and flew with proper power for the expected time.

2) Yaw to the right is much slower than yaw to the left. Also If i yaw to the right and release stick it kindof swings back by 5-10 degrees before stopping. If i yaw the left and release stick it does not stop instantly, but kindof gradually comes to a halt. All trims are zerod and sticks showing central on assistant.

3) When applying high throttle, the craft yaws heavily to the left, in all flight modes.

4) IOC seems completely inactive, Switching between modes makes zero difference and the wookong continues to fly with standard nose foreward config.

5) GPS hold seems much more wooly than the NAZA, not as aggressive to hold position. Also the craft slowly yaws to the left.

6) When enabling either fail safe or fly home mode, the wookong goes nuts! It pitches and rolls violently back and forth until i switch back to manual mode. I have video of this will post shortly. Interestingly, alternatively if I'm in gps mode and I manually walk the craft away from it's locked position and release, it will return to it correctly, albeit slowly.

Any ideas, all in all a bit disappointed.

Cheers
Ben

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Hey Guys

Right maiden flight today or the wookong today, and I must admit, it didn't go anywhere near as smoothly as the NAZA.

Here is a complete list of the problems I had, I'm guessing some might be related? But if anyone can chime in on them I would massively appreciate it.

1) Even with full charged up 3s and 4s packs I could only fly for about 1 minute, and then with minimal accent speeds. If i turn of the battery monitor, it was ok and flew with proper power for the expected time.

2) Yaw to the right is much slower than yaw to the left. Also If i yaw to the right and release stick it kindof swings back by 5-10 degrees before stopping. If i yaw the left and release stick it does not stop instantly, but kindof gradually comes to a halt. All trims are zerod and sticks showing central on assistant.

3) When applying high throttle, the craft yaws heavily to the left, in all flight modes.

4) IOC seems completely inactive, Switching between modes makes zero difference and the wookong continues to fly with standard nose foreward config.

5) GPS hold seems much more wooly than the NAZA, not as aggressive to hold position. Also the craft slowly yaws to the left.

6) When enabling either fail safe or fly home mode, the wookong goes nuts! It pitches and rolls violently back and forth until i switch back to manual mode. I have video of this will post shortly. Interestingly, alternatively if I'm in gps mode and I manually walk the craft away from it's locked position and release, it will return to it correctly, albeit slowly.

Any ideas, all in all a bit disappointed.

Cheers
Ben

Modles we need info, what config hexa octo, what weight of the craft, pics of the setup and screenshots of the assistant. Otherwise its like reading out of a glass bowl.

Assumption it that something it messing with the digital compass. Ist not holding after yaw or it yawing when you apply throttle could indicated when more power is sucked by the motors the compass is influenced.

Boris

modles

Nerdlinger
I hear you...

Setup is a hexa DJI 550. All setup as per manual, imu facing correct way etc etc. Compass was calibrated at setup and also again when out on the field and experiencing the problems. White light indicated calibration was ok.

Here is a pic of the setup, as you will see its stock, with gps unit mounted 6cm forwards from center. Ignore the fact the camera faces rearward, this is intentional
View attachment 9217

and here are all the screens from assistant
View attachment 9218View attachment 9219View attachment 9220View attachment 9221View attachment 9222

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 444
  • autopilot.JPG
    autopilot.JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 454
  • mixing.JPG
    mixing.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 426
  • mount.JPG
    mount.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 410
  • tx.JPG
    tx.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 407
  • voltage.JPG
    voltage.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 396
Last edited by a moderator:

modles

Nerdlinger
This is a film of the oscillation when turning on flyhome or failsafe mode

I turn flyhome on around 45 seconds in and failsafe mode at 1:45s

Last edited by a moderator:

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
very akward behavior, never seen that before !

on it looking through all of it again and than Ill comment

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
wait were it the front and the back on your craft ? the FPV cam is forward or the read arms ?

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
okay lets go through a list.

1. your setup is clean and all the variables in the assistant are right, gains both attitude and basic are to high for my taste but too high gains would cause oscillation also during hover and not only when you ascend.

2. it doesnt sound at all like there is a mechanical problem, like a prop slipping or a bad soldering causing a motor to stutter.

3. The behavior is also there during autonomous flight to i don't think there is any with you RX TX setup, an i right that it also behaves like this without any stick input ?

4. If thats the case i could only pinpoint it towards one the components. Either ESCs or IMU, or one of the other components messing with the can-bus data flow.

To rule some things out, did you try flying manual mode ? and giving it a throttle push ? does it behave similar ?

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
I would also try to reflash the WKM and default all the values and enter all the settings once more !

modles

Nerdlinger
Appreciate the input.

1. Agree the gains are a little high, i noticed this in flight and will reduce these a bit, but yes this is obvs not the problem

2. agree, doesnt feel mechanical.

3. yep without any stick input.

4. I wonder if its linked to the fact that I had a iOSD on the bench, but that stopped working after about 5 minutes. I sent this back to quadcopters.co.uk for them to look at.

I did try manual flying, and yes if i give it gas it yaws to the left fast.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
hmmm reflash and also turn off the voltage protection that has caused issues for some in the past for some reason, mainly due to a faulty PMU.

If you want to rule out the problems and get close to pinpoint which components are causing the issues stick you naza onto the frame and give it a go.

If it flys fine you can go sure the ESCs are fine and the motors etc. and it must be related to the WKM components.

If it acts out in the same way obviously it something with the escs motors or RX TX, nut i doubt it !

Boris

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
nah of coarse you will read more about problems here than love stories. I have 3 wkms and 2 nazas and i had once a faulty PMU.

Aviator

very akward behavior, never seen that before !

on it looking through all of it again and than Ill comment

It`s the gains that cause the wobble on failsafe or rtl.. Just had someone else ask me this, I have answered it before but a long time ago and I couldn`t remember if they were too high or too low? but I think you need to raise the pitch and roll gains to get rid of that behaviour?

modles

Nerdlinger
I had them at 170 which is what was recommended in the manual for that setup. However I feel it would be better on 150 or so. But you are saying higher? Surely higher would make the issue worse if it is a gain issue?

This also doesnt aswer why IOC has no effect and the yawing to the left on power.

So confused

modles

Nerdlinger
How do i reflash to clear all the settings, I just did a firmware upgrade, but it saved all my settings. How do i factory reset kinda thing?

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
just press default on every assistant screen and safe it screen for screen ! than reenter you values

there was a complete factors reset method with shortening some of the ESCs ports don't remember it though !