Wookong-M on a RC-Carbon 900 mm boom

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
thanks Felipe, just charging the batteries for the 22mx and than i will check it out.

Boris

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
okay tried all the Heli modes, none of them works. I guess I was misguided there and wrong that it should be configured in heli mode. In normal plane mode everything is working the way it should, hope this time i am right.
Was a strange sunday since i found out that the pharmacy in my house had taken the ESCs delivery for me and kept it. But i had no way of getting it on a sunday. So the one piece to finish everything up is a couple meters away from me but i cant get to it :)

Thanks

Boris.

Double check the rotation of each motor in the DJI interface, you may have one reversed!
But if it worked in airplane mode, that is good news, but the manual says Heli mode H-1!
Felipe

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Hmmm i will try it out later tonite Felipe and ask once more if plane mode it okay in RCgroups. I have no clue of any curves etc, that might play a role.

Just configured any finally mounted all the ESCs.

I hope this config it okay ?

View attachment 926
View attachment 927

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 362
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    121.8 KB · Views: 341

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Airplane or acro mode is fine on the WKM controller, they recommend heli mainly because that was/is their primary business prior to the -M unit so its what they know best.

There are two advantages to using heli mode and only one of them apply to the DJI Wookong-M controller. First you get the ability to build several switch selectable custom throttle curves which is great if you plan on doing aerobatics, I doubt anyone will be doing that with the WKM as that's not its intended use so no advantage there. The other one is the ability to set throttle hold on a switch, since the WKN does not have an arm/disarm mode like most of the other flight controllers it is an advantage to be able to hit the switch and be assured that the motors will not or cannot start until you want them to. This can also be a disadvantage if you happen to accidentally hit the switch in flight...

Your choice which one to use, either way works, just be aware that even if you use a single servo swash mix in heli mode it will still mix throttle with the pitch channel (usually AUX1) so you cannot use that channel for anything on the multi unless you want it to work proportionally with the throttle stick.

I use acro mode and the JR 11X allows setting a throttle hold switch in acro mode but I won't be using that feature anymore...:mad:

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

Boris:

I would not run soft start on the ESC, just program normal.
If you care about your batteries you may at least use middle or high cutoff.

Felipe

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Hmmm i will try it out later tonite Felipe and ask once more if plane mode it okay in RCgroups. I have no clue of any curves etc, that might play a role.

Just configured any finally mounted all the ESCs.

I hope this config it okay ?

Change the battery to Ni-xx and the motor start to normal, otherwise it looks good.

Ken

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
yeah forget it i am not going to have a switch on my remote that turns of the motors. It happened to me so many times that I hit something by accident on my MK already to dangerous. Thanks for clearing that up for me. Since i don't have any heli or plane background this is all new to me.

What I also dont understand ist the manual mode of the WK-M comparable to the manual mode in the MK, or is attitude mode the same as manual in the MK with altitude hold vario ?

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
okay thanks guys, i will switch the settings. Just did i short run with a servos tester and i was shock how fast the motors started turning so I set it to very soft start. But actually i think it was the servos tester that dosent send the right signal !

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
yeah forget it i am not going to have a switch on my remote that turns of the motors. It happened to me so many times that I hit something by accident on my MK already to dangerous. Thanks for clearing that up for me. Since i don't have any heli or plane background this is all new to me.

What I also dont understand ist the manual mode of the WK-M comparable to the manual mode in the MK, or is attitude mode the same as manual in the MK with altitude hold vario ?

Manual mode is no autoleveling, it flys like a basic quad with just gyros, you have to "fly" it the entire time to keep it in the air. ATTI mode is similar to flying an MK, it is the autoleveling mode that also includes a vario altitude hold. You can take off in ATTI mode and never use manual if that's what you want, nice part is once you get in the air and to the height you want, put the throttle at half stick and it will stay at that altitude, really, really nice for APV flight.

GPS mode is just adding position hold to ATTI, if you stop and let go of the sticks it will sit there, fly to another location and let it stabilize for a second or two and it will stay there. If you have configured failsafe mode, flipping the switch in eitehr ATTI or GPS will cause it to do one of two things depending on how you set it up in the Assistant software. You can choose hove or return to home, trigger failsafe with hover selected and it will do just that, stay exactly where it is until you resume control by switching to manual and then back to ATTI. I haven't tested it to see if it will autoland in hover mode but if it will then after 30 seconds it should land itself if you don't resume control or if it actually lost the TX signal. In return to home mode it will rise to 20 meters and then fly back to its starting point then 30 seconds later it will land if nothing changes its mode. One thing to be aware of, for RTH to work you must wait for the GPS to get to the single or no flas mode on the LED. While it is possible to fly GPS on just two flashes , RTH will not work until one flash or less andmake sure there's nothing 20 meters or taller between it and the staring point!

okay thanks guys, i will switch the settings. Just did i short run with a servos tester and i was shock how fast the motors started turning so I set it to very soft start. But actually i think it was the servos tester that dosent send the right signal !

Correct, a servo uses a 50hz refresh, most ESCs want at least 200hz or higher so not a good idea to use a servo tester on an ESC.

Ken

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Thanks Ken for explaining this for me.

I more or less finished everything up and and have the system running on a voltage controller and everything seems fine. I am really paranoid though to hook up the Lipo for some reason. I tried to fire up the motors with having the voltage regulator given the power. I dont think it can provide more than 5a thus the motors are not really starting to turn ( only three of the 6 the other ones are shaking, if i give them a push they start turning). At the same time i am not sure if thats the reason why the motors are reacting that way or something else is wrong. Thats the main reasons i am chickening out to hook up the LIPO.

Does my explanation of the voltage regulator being the reason for the motors reaction sound reasonable ?

Thanks

Boris

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Thanks Ken for explaining this for me.

I more or less finished everything up and and have the system running on a voltage controller and everything seems fine. I am really paranoid though to hook up the Lipo for some reason. I tried to fire up the motors with having the voltage regulator given the power. I dont think it can provide more than 5a thus the motors are not really starting to turn ( only three of the 6 the other ones are shaking, if i give them a push they start turning). At the same time i am not sure if thats the reason why the motors are reacting that way or something else is wrong. Thats the main reasons i am chickening out to hook up the LIPO.

Does my explanation of the voltage regulator being the reason for the motors reaction sound reasonable ?

Thanks

Boris

Yes, that power supply doesn't have nearly enough power to start 6 motors turning, you could in fact damage something trying (probably the power supply itself). Go with lipo power and make sure the props are off and the controller is in manual mode. If you put it in ATTI the motors will start off spinning a lot faster than you want them to be on the bench, props or no props.

As long as you have the polarity correct on the ESC leads to the WKM controller and to the RX as well there really isn't much chance of doing any damage by hooking up the lipo, certainly nothing like an MK powering up for the first time.

Ken

BorisS,
Sorry it took so long to get back with you. I haven't put a watt meter on my hexa yet to tell you the current draw is. I am running APC 14x4.7 sf props with 2x 5800mah batts. I'm getting 10 minute flights with 2.5 lbs strapped to. My throttle is around 35% with these props. I almost feel that using some smaller blades my be a little better flight characteristics with such light weight. I had the AV200 with a HD sony cam strapped to it and it flew fine at 42% of throttle but of all things the AV200 landing gear collapsed under it's own weight. I have since reinforced the gear up to about 2.5mm carbon fiber and it is doing much better now.
One other thing I did is put a notch on the throttle cam inside the Tx. I know when I am at mid stick and just adjust my throttle curve for different weights and set up different models in the Tx. I did this because the DJI Ace One I have on my Maxi Joker needs mid stick to switch between flight modes. It took a little getting used to but now I like it.
Oh and back to the props. I have not gone past mid stick yet. Those AXI motors have so much power they would send the hexacopter to the moon if I went full throttle.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Thanks Ken, Im confident today and i will hook the lipos on :) One good thing that i used the power supply at the beginning my throttle was reversed i could have done the Droider :).

@ Wayne thanks for the info I am really waiting for the results concerning the AXIs on this page. Also intresting for you on props choices ! http://www.1001copters.com/content/6-test-de-moteurs-helices

He tested the 2814/22 up to now the 2820/14 are next I hope !

thanks again for the help !!!!

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
hmm tried a test hover today, and he is trying to take off nose tilted forwad nearly flipping ? so I didn't give him the last push. Ken what was your experience. Does it take off smoothly in attitude mode normally ?

Thanks

Boris

Boris:

Go over you config on the DJI assistant and make sure you IMU is pointing in the right direction, it could be reversed or the direction of prop rotation could be wrong?
Also make sure you initialize the WK-M on a level surface to start with. Did you do the compass calibration?

Felipe

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Jesus i just learned my lesson !!! I tried to hover it once more in my appartment same behavior wanted to tilt forwad. Than all of a sudden motors go to half thrust, 6 2820 axis no payload and the bird goes up for 2 meters, (luckliy i was in the loft part of the apartment) and than the lipo ripped of and the bird came back down. No clue what happend. I can only think that it lost TX connection and went to fail safe. At least now i know it can go straight up :)

Felipe i checked it all config should be fine. The only thing i notice now with props off that some motors don't regulate as much as other. Tilting the bird left right back forward, some motors accelerate others i can feel with my hand stay the same. Doubel check everything strange one.

View attachment 934View attachment 935View attachment 936

Anything about the setup you guys can see that could be wrong or causing the ESCs motors to react differently ?

Thanks !

Boris.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 264
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 226
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 273

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
I am confused the throttle range calibration of the ESCs has to be done with the MC connected to the ESCs or with my TX RX ? or dosent have to be done at all ?

Thanks

Boris

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
okay got it up. Once again was s......g in my pants but did it in the apartment, since the weather didn't allow. Its a little shaky i guess i have to tweak the gain of attitude.

[video]http://sprealinvest.at/WKM1/WKM1.mov[/video]

Was ist behaving better for you guys at the first start up ?

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
okay got it up. Once again was s......g in my paints but did it in the apartment, since the weather didn't allow. Its a little shaky i guess i have to tweak the gain of attitude.

[video]http://sprealinvest.at/WKM1/WKM1.mov[/video]

Was ist behaving better for you guys at the first start up ?

My first flight using the WKM was on a small quad around 550mm and it flew really nice on the default settings. It's a pretty basic machine with just motors, esc's, Trex 600 landing gear, 3S 2650 battery and the WKM as flight controller. When I moved the WKM to the much larger and heavier Y6 frame it wobbled badly in ATTI on the default settings, I had to increase them significantly (over 200% on roll and pitch) before it started to fly smoothly.

I'm still hunting for perfectly smooth under all conditions, getting close but now working with the advanced settings as I seem to have reached the reasonable limit for normal gain before seeing oscillation. It's rock solid except for gusty wind where it has a tendency to wobble a bit still. In low to no wind conditions it's smooth as glass now but took a lot of gain increase before it got to that point. In your case I'd start with 150% on both pitch and roll and see how that works, I don't think its going to need as much of a gain increase for a standard Hex vs. the Y6 setup I have.

Ken