Wookong-M on a RC-Carbon 900 mm boom

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Hi,

since i decided to use the WK-M on my new system gonna build up the thread about it here.

Following frame:

View attachment 836
View attachment 837
View attachment 838
View attachment 839

gonna cnc some carbon plates to mount the MC and IMU, and LED. To stay in the tower format hoping thats gonna give me enough space to mount the ESCs on the center-plate.

View attachment 840

Specs:

Axi 2820/14
Turnigy Plush 40A ESC
Graupner 22 mx with 35MHz Module back in
SCM 16 Graupner.
Props 12/3.8 CFK, probably switching them later.
AV 200 Photohigher temporarily mounted

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 419
  • IMG_1182.jpg
    IMG_1182.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 337
  • IMG_1181.jpg
    IMG_1181.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 353
  • hexaf.jpg
    hexaf.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_1189.jpg
    IMG_1189.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 351

MICROFOE

It looks like some type of Pelican case. I use one for my photo equipment. They come with the foam inserts that are perforated in half inch squares and you just remove them to the shape of whatever you are going to carry.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Started with the distribution ring for the ESCs, never did something like this before and somewhat followed and copied an approach from Mactadpole. The cooper windings are isolated with self binding isolation tape and should be okay. Any concerns or did i do something wrong ?

View attachment 844
View attachment 843
View attachment 845

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 435
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 402
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 390

Mactadpole

Started with the distribution ring for the ESCs, never did something like this before and somewhat followed and copied an approach from Mactadpole. The cooper windings are isolated with self binding isolation tape and should be okay. Any concerns or did i do something wrong ?

View attachment 1512
View attachment 1511
View attachment 1513

Wow! that is fancy braiding. All that extra wire is going to add some weight, is their a reason you did the braid? I also would not have made it so big in diameter but it does lend well to being able to access the plugs. I would have made it just big enough to fit inside the 4 aluminum standoffs and then used a pair of needle nose when I needed to plug and unplug (thats what I do now). I also noticed you closed the negative loop, like I said I have been told this may cause a coil effect and create noise. My rings are small which I believed helped with me not having an issue. Maybe someone with better electricity knowledge than me can chime in. Otherwise it looks very neat and i am sure it will work fine.

Shawn

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Great ! I was going to cut the negative loop, but wasn't sure yet were I will end up to attach the lipo wires. No real reason for braiding just that I didn't have any thicker cooper wire by hand and then came the idea to make it more solid and braid it. Cant move my fingers anymore :). And you also right on the weight thing, i will shrink it down and make it fit exactly. Thanks for the support !

Boris

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Mounting plate for WK-M finished and distribution ring between the Centerplate. I like the fact that you cant even see it and hoping that the folding of the booms inlcuding the motor wiring inside the booms and the ring wont be a problem. At the moment its looking good.

Just found a guy 5 min walk away from my apartment with a laser cutter :) super happy !

View attachment 869
View attachment 870
View attachment 871

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 414
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 358
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 292

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
lets hope it does what its suppose to since i am using the Axi 2820/14 with current capacity to 36A, but its should be fine. Have to keep a close eye on it.

Boris

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
never heard of it gonna check it out. thanks ! Do you have a product name to the liquid tape ?

Thanks

Boris

(edit) ah get it its big in the states and common.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
nah its fine I used (I dont know the english word), a tape that melts into itself, it becomes one and is even water proof used it several times to isolate wiring in my garden. Just liked the idea of the liquid tape.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Self amalgamating?

You can get it in different colours.. red, black, grey,brown,blue. I would use something like 10mm or 16mm electric meter tails. They are double insulated from the start so you could just cut a nick in the insulation and splice in and solder your esc feed. I would also use somthing other than deans.. maybe even solder the esc leads directly to the ring

Dave

PS nice build though boris.. aint it amazing what a crash can do ;-)

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Actually i will consider to get rid of the Deans and solder the leads directly on the ring, getting really tight between the centerplates. On the other side from my last repair experience its so much easier to change parts when the wiring can be unplugged. Up to now its still working out and since the ESCs will go on the centerplates, a couple more wires will need to be going between the plates and thats it. Lets see i would love to have to take everything apart again and redo the ring :)

AXIs arrived and mounted them.

View attachment 879
View attachment 880
View attachment 881

(edit) hmmm with the motors on and wires its already pretty heavy, 2.3 KG

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 387
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 332
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 276
Last edited by a moderator:

jes1111

Did you weigh "The Ring"? To me it looks like it will be h-e-a-v-y!

You could save almost all of that weight by some creative soldering. This is a 1-to-4 splitter I made as an example, but 1-to-6 would be just as easy. Note that the pos/neg runs are twisted - helps keep EMI down, apparently.

View attachment 882

Why do you need plugs for each ESC? They are just another thing to go wrong mid-flight, IMO. I'll be soldering my wiring harness directly to the ESC's pads. After all, the only time you should need to disconnect them is on the workbench, right?

Attachments

• DSC_0808_dxo.jpg
    DSC_0808_dxo.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 219

Mactadpole

The liquid tape is what I use. Works very well since you can get it in all the nooks and crannies. I have been using this style ring for some time now and they work excellent.

attachmentNew.php