Whats the best FPV set up?

Acill

Since you have a Naza I would get an iosd mini and and then a receiver/transmitter combo that fits your needs. I use a set of Skyzone Goggles with an ImmersionRC 600mw transmitter.

hazmat1

I didnt think the Skyzone dual diversity goggles would work with the Immersion transmitter.
Im a newbie and trying to learn all I can. Please educate us.
Jerod

Acill

I didnt think the Skyzone dual diversity goggles would work with the Immersion transmitter.
Im a newbie and trying to learn all I can. Please educate us.
Jerod

My Immersion transmitter works just fine with my Skyzone receiver goggles. I know several others using the same setup as me with no trouble as well.

KellyR

I read somewhere, I wish I could remember where, that the IRC gear will work with the Skyzones, but the range won't be as good.

Gary Seven

Rocketman
Since you have a Naza I would get an iosd mini and and then a receiver/transmitter combo that fits your needs. I use a set of Skyzone Goggles with an ImmersionRC 600mw transmitter.
@Acill ; May I ask what ground receiver you have paired up with your Immersion 600mW Tx?

Last edited by a moderator:

engin

Hi again, I am new in rc... Sorry for my bad english.. I am searching fpv system for a long time.. But I haven't decided for my t960 hexa.. I have Tiger u5 motor and prop 16'5.4.. First of all, which one 1.3ghz or 5.8 for 1-1.5km fpv..And immersionrc duo or iftron passport.. I have a plan a areal photograpy with dslr.. Can t960 lift dslr with u5 and 16.5 prop?.. Thanks again and so sory for my bad english..

eskil23

Wikipedia Photographer
Six Tiger U5 with 16" props sounds like a awful lot of lifting power. I guess you are using 6S batteries. That would be enough for almost 5-6 kg AUW.

For long range I would use 1.3 GHz. Lower frequency generally gives better range for the same output power. I also imagine there will be more interference in the 5.8 GHz band.

engin

Thanks for reply eskil23. what do you suggest for 1.3ghz.. Do you know 1.3ghz immersinorc or what brand.. I want to use canon dslr with t960 hexa...Do you suggest to me, duo immersion 5.8ghz receiver, 600mw transmitter .. Which one OSD.. DJI or immersion..I want to use way point system on google..Thanks again..

dtw

KC1UAV
If you want serious long range, go with 1.3 (1280 or 1258 in the U.S., other frequencies abroad). I've been using the 500/1000mw 1.3Ghz from hobbywireless.com for a while. Although RMRC sells good ones as well. Use a crosshair/cloverleaf setup with Eagle Eyes diversity, or you can go more expensive there, but the results are the same. Or, for multicopters it's really good to use a pepperbox antenna.

@engin - some excellent videos for tutorials are available by Alex Greve https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeK6fHS_XaXc2mN2f82j1DA

If you really want long range, stay away from DJI 5.8Ghz transmitters. DJI OSD is ok, especially when you're using DJI controllers. The Eagle Tree Vector is great as well, though.

If you want to use waypoint software, I would again, stay away from DJI. While their stuff works, it's rudimentary and expensive, in my opinion. Look into Ardupilot or something a little more open source - just my opinion...

engin

Thaks for reply..so sorry for my bad english... ..I am confused fpv. I am a producer. I want do aerial photography with t960 and I want to use maybe thermal camera for mine sector..I have two children and I dont have many time. Ardupilot is many confusing. I have a question, Aurora hitec range maybe 1 km. But 1.3ghz fpv 3km?? I have a question, can immersion or other 5.8ghz systems go away 1km? Osd is okey eagle three or immersion osd. Main controller DJI wookong. Thanks for suggestion...

dtw

KC1UAV
"Yes", is the easiest answer.

The better answer to your question revolves around a series of questions:

1) What is the noise floor of your current environment?
2) Will you be flying around and/or behind anything?
3) Will you ever want to go beyond 1km?
4) How much are you willing to spend on an antennas, antenna tracking and/or diversity?
5) What about your local legal limitations for RF wattage?

You have a LOT of things to consider, and better yet, if you are new to this, then you have a very big learning curve. You said you have little time having small children, and that's great - but doing aerial photography really well, takes a LOT of time, experimentation, reading, learning, tweaking. I would venture to guess that flying multicopters and doing aerial photography has one of the largest if not "the" largest learning curve of any RC sport/hobby/career. So if you have "little" time, you might have a difficult time learning to do this well.

If it were "me" trying to go 1km with 5.8Ghz, I would start with something like the following:

2 x 5.8GHz black cannon 10-turn helical
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_45_49_97&products_id=1088

Receiver Diversity
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_34_536&products_id=83
or
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_34_536&products_id=121

2x 5.8 GHz receivers
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_34_37&products_id=877

The 5.8 GHz receivers that come with many of the 7" monitors are ok, but not great. I've had better luck with dedicated receivers than with the ones embedded in goggles and monitors.

Keep in mind, this setup would probably give you a "real world" 50~60 degrees of coverage. There are other options like finding a 4x diversity setup which would allow you to put 4 of these antennas side-by-side for say 120 degrees of coverage.

However, you need to experiment with the area you want to shoot in and design your system around that.

engin

You are very polite.. Yours suggestion are very valuable. I am really leraning this work. Everybody goes bed then I am searching on internet.. I have been reading forums for 6 monhts. I decided go 1km beyond and noise floor.. I decided buy Immersion duo 5.8 receiver and 5.8 600mw and 2 antenna (patch+cloverleaf) do you suggestion those.. . Iftron is very expensive. I saw a lot of professional RTF set. They have two operators and 1.3ghz for pilot and 5.8 for camera??.. 1.3ghz distance maybe 3km.. 5.8ghz is maybe 750m..?? Thanks a lot of for everythings.. What does SmalL UAV coalition pro mean?

dtw

KC1UAV
I have several multicopters, an S1000+, an ARRIS M680, a DJI F550 setup, and then my smaller quad for playing around. Currently, I film large commercial real estate offerings where I need to fly 2 to 3km or more. I also require my camera person to be able to see clearly what she is filming when I'm 2 to 3 kilometers away. So I run DragonLink systems on both of our radios which gives us way more distance than we need - up to 30km for controllers. I typically use 1280 for FPV and my camera person uses 1258 (so we're both on 1.2/1.3Ghz) on the gimbal.

I've heard arguments against using 1280 and 1258 at the same time. For me, it's worked well. My ground stations are made up of two 1.2GHz receivers, Eagle Eye Diversity, a crosshair antenna from Video Aerial Systems for directional, and a mad mushroom for omni. So far, I haven't been able to outfly my video.

Having a long range controller from DragonLink isn't about going far - it's about flying around places with really strong Wifi. Where I live, Wifi is everywhere, and it's strong - and it'll kill a 2.4GHz controller link in a split second. There is nothing more unnerving than being 600m away, hovering 100m above a major highway and losing your controller signal. So for reliability, that's what I use, and that doesn't happen anymore. Oh, and by the way, I can attest to the fact that the RTH feature works really well with DJI's flight controllers (A2, Wookong, Naza V2). Before I had DragonLink, I had to rely on that, all the time.

As for flying a 2-person rig with 5.8GHz, you can do that easily. 5.8GHz has many usable channels - some cross-bleed, meaning you'll pick up some portion of a neighboring channel. Just pick two good channels that are far apart and it will work - both pilot and camera person can fly with 5.8.

Small UAV Coalition Pro
http://multirotorforums.com/threads/new-sub-forum-small-uav-coalition-usa.22390/

engin

Sorry for my late reply.. I am writing from work. 5.8 is very clear but short range. 1.3 long range but noisy.. I decided 1.3 system from yours suggestion. But I haven't decided dragon or immersion ezuhf.. First of all, I will put long range system on my aurora 9x (I havent seen youtube or on web this system for aurora 9x, maybe change aurora to futaba)..Then I will buy 1.3ghz diversty system, Eagle Eye and two antennas.. Thanks for reply again and sory bad english..

engin

Sorry, I have last question. Will I buy only DragonLink transmitter or with receiver. If I will buy dragonlink receiver, Do I use optima receiver. optima goes empty??Thanks...

dtw

KC1UAV
Well, first off, 1.3GHz isn't noisy. You would not be able to tell a difference in your video display between the two frequencies. I've also read people saying that 5.8GHz is "crystal clear", but stretch the limits of 5.8 and it gets pretty fuzzy. 1.3 is "crystal clear" for me.

I recommend DragonLink. If you have any trouble, which you won't, Mike is the owner and provides support. He is excellent. Also, the newest DragonLink receivers cannot be beat, period. They are 100% configurable, support S.Bus, PPM, Digital RSSI, Analog RSSI and extremely flexible in how you want to set them up. DragonLink used to interfere with 1.2/1.3GHz. You'll see YouTube videos about this - but that was a couple of years ago. These new units are excellent - in fact, the receiver for the newest DragonLink units can act as a spectrum analyzer for the 433MHz band - it's very cool.

You'll need to buy the entire DragonLink system - both the receiver and transmitter.
https://www.fpvpro.com/complete-long-range-rc-system

DragonLink works with Futaba and Spectrum using their training ports. I'm not familiar with the DragonLink modules - never used those. I use Futaba and Spectrum. If you have questions about what to buy, I highly recommend you write to Mike - mike@dragonlinkrc.com. Might take a day for him to get back to you, but he will answer your questions directly.

Good Luck!

haha49

Heres the thing about range.

Were you fly makes a world of difference. Big open flat land you can go for miles and miles. Hill well built up area your range is allot less. I use boscam 5.8ghz 400mw and I get 2km before it starts to break up but I was at 400ft in the area and it's an open area that's something to consider. I use mini osd it works great with the naza just plugs right in (dji mini osd) With line of sight 5.8ghz is good enough. If you want to go behind buildings and trees at long range then you want something else.

If you fly line of sight 5.8ghz is fine behind trees and close in 400 is powerful enough. You want 8km of range go with a 2000mw transmiter. Upgrade the attenas it makes a huge difference. I use the boscam clover leaf ones they work really well. Fatshark ones work well too.

How you mount it on the craft makes a huge difference in range I put it on my landing gear with the attena upside down so it clears the lipo that is under it. If I put it on top my range is allot less. Solar storms can ruin your range as well. Also be careful with what radio and video transmiter you use some don't work with each other. 2.4 and 5.8 work fine togther. 1.2 and 2.4 not so much

Airports and planes use 5.8 for weather radar. So if a plane flys over and your using 5.8 your video goes poof till it pass. I noticed that when airlines go over it goes poof for a second then they're gone and it pops back.

I also have used the DJI Waypoint with an ipad..... (it's crap) It works but flaky dropped a hexa right out of the air disconected splat. I don't trust waypoint stuff no thanks just more to go wrong. It doesn't know trees, buildings, powerlines, ect. I rather have a human in control.

Here is a high flight so 2.4 frsky radio and 5.8 can go a long range. Now I also recomend having a hams license and chatting with the pilots in the area to let them know your in the area just like if you were another aircraft. That's the way to do it safely that and file a flight plan date time ect.

Last edited by a moderator: