Whats the best FPV set up?

dtw

KC1UAV
I have two Flysight 7" monitors. I don't have much experience with other monitors, but I do like the Flysight for several reasons. For one, they have diversity built-in, for what that's worth. With my relaying ground station, diversity doesn't add a lot of benefit. However, they have HDMI input/output and standard A/V jack input/output. They operate on 12 volts and have an internal battery that lasts pretty long. They are filled with color adjustment features, brightness/contrast, etc. So for like $219 bucks, they're a good bargain, I think. Anymore, I use the monitors more for a backup and/or to allow spectators to see what I see in my goggles.

I would say that as long as your RMRC choice has similar features, you should be ok - read the reviews and comments in rcgroups as well as on their site, if you can find them.

engin

World peace! :)
Hi again dtw..It's been a long time. How are you.. I hope you're well.. I boughut everything that yours suggestion (vtx, vrx, dragon etc.. Finally I build a hexa fy680 and I am flying with dragonlink..I need your help because now I want to do fpv..I am confused about gimbal 2 axis or 3 axis and HDMI to AV converter. MY fy680 can lift 4.0-4.2kg. gimbal must very light, not vibration... Which one gimbal 2 or 3 axis gimbal?? 2 axis verly light.. I want to use sony nex7, A6000 or BMPCC..What do yuo sugeestion gimbal and convrter.. Example below or your suggestions... Thanks again..
https://www.gothelirc.com/shopexd.asp?id=1969
http://www.grousehousetechnologies.com/
http://www.gimbalshop.eu/index.php?id_product=33&controller=product&id_lang=1
http://www.hobby-wing.com/arris-zhao-yun-2-axis-gimbal--360.html
http://www.dys.hk/

dtw

KC1UAV
Well, for FPV, I don't use a gimbal. For aerial photography I use a gimbal. So on my setups, I have my FPV camera mounted directly to the multirotor and my gimbal operator (girlfriend) has a separate controller which she uses to control the camera. This way I can focus on flying and she can focus on capturing the video/pictures, etc.

Where gimbals are concerned, I've tried ARRIS (CM3000Pro, Zhao-Yun, DJI Zenmuse 5D, DYS and other "off-brand" gimbals). So basically, I've used the Alexmos controller and DJI's.

A gimbal is really all about the quality of the controller, the motors used, and balance. There's a steep learning curve there, so whatever you pick, make sure it has excellent documentation. The Alexmos controller has excellent documentation. The CM3000 Pro and Zhao-Yun gimbals come with Alexmos controllers and they are configurable/tweakable - or you can fly them "as-is" because HobbyWing does a decent job of setting them up before sending them.

In fact, the folks at HobbyWing will help you with the HDMI stuff as well. Just find something super lightweight, and I even think that there's an adapter (HDMI to Analog) on hobby-wing.com.

I've been using ARRIS's gimbals now for 2 years and the thing I like the most is I have the ability to tweak the behavior of the gimbal. However, it's taken me a very long time to learn all the ins-and-outs of it. It doesn't always play nicely. The one good thing about my rig is that I have a camera operator who can adapt and correct poor gimbal behavior. As the temperature outside changes, sometimes these gimbal sensors get out of whack, so it's at that time, she really has to step up and fix things.

If I were doing this myself, with no gimbal operator, I'm sure my adventures would be significantly different. So please keep that in mind. I hope any part of that is helpful, sorry I can't be more specific...

engin

Attachments

• maybe fpv diagram.jpg
    maybe fpv diagram.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 269
  • maybe fpv diagram.jpg
    maybe fpv diagram.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 295

dtw

KC1UAV
Well that looks great. If you're going to use a video switcher then that'll definitely allow you to see both views when necessary. I have a couple of those video switches, but I've not used them on any of my multirotors yet.

Most of those LED strips run on 14.8 volts - they say 12, but... I've not had issues with any of mine and they're all rated 12 volts, but I use 4S 5000~10000mah batteries to run them. LEDs don't draw much, so it won't hurt to have them attached to your 12v regulator, but... just saying. I like to solder them between an RC switch/relay and my PDB.

Your setup looks good to me...

engin

Well that looks great. If you're going to use a video switcher then that'll definitely allow you to see both views when necessary. I have a couple of those video switches, but I've not used them on any of my multirotors yet.

Most of those LED strips run on 14.8 volts - they say 12, but... I've not had issues with any of mine and they're all rated 12 volts, but I use 4S 5000~10000mah batteries to run them. LEDs don't draw much, so it won't hurt to have them attached to your 12v regulator, but... just saying. I like to solder them between an RC switch/relay and my PDB.

Thanks for reply, Thanks for everythings..

engin

That's a Neewer Special! Seriously, it's a cheap cheap frame from Amazon that I bought because I thought it looked kind of cool (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LAPUAI6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and I have a bunch of spare black DJI arms that I figured I could use if I crashed it.

The motors are spare motors I bought for my F550, so they're just 2212 920kv motors from the DJI E300 set. However, I changed the props to 9450's instead of the stock 9443's - which the jury is still out on that, although today when I was flying, they did seem to scoot a bit faster.

The controller is an Eagle Tree Vector, which I do like because the fc, osd, and lc filter are all rolled up into a small box that's lighter weight than the Naza Lite controller by itself. It was easy to install and setup, but I've been tweaking it slowly to dial it in. I really like the OSD and configuration menus within the OSD - makes configuring the gains and PID settings super easy.

That's also the newest DragonLink receiver in the back. It's very lightweight, and 100% configurable with S.bus, PPM, digital and analog RSSI, 12 channel and 8 pins for external connectors. Has a built-in simple spectrum analyzer and very nice features if you're not familiar.

I typically have it setup with a 10g 200mw 2.4GHz transmitter, but lately I've had bad luck with that setup - I have a pair of Dominators being delivered tomorrow with the 2.4GHz module and the 700mw IRC 2.4GHz transmitter. Should give me much better range. Basically, it's just for messing around or testing, as I did today...

Hi Dtw, How are you. I am flying my fy680 to streched 800mm with naza v2, dragonlink and 1.3 dual vrx . It's perfect setup for me. You had suggested all equipments. First of all thanks for suggestions. You are very good person. Now I need your suggesitons for waypoint on google earth. I have DJI IOSD mini. You had said to me IOSD mini and DJI ground station system (data link, I pad system etc..) not enough for this job.. Wiche one OSD for waypoint and other equipment. I dont know about for equipments (telemetry, gps, sensor, software etc...) Should I change my flight control card NAZA the others FC (APM or Pixhawk). It's very difficult for me. Because I have to start to learn everythings about other FC. Or I will use same Naza and I will change my OSD. Wiche one Should I use osd with NAZA (EagleTree, Dragon OSD , Ezosd, Remzibi etc...) for waypoint..Sorry for my bad english. Thanks again

dtw

KC1UAV
OSD stands for On Screen Display and has nothing really to do with Waypoints - where DJI is concerned. There are other OSD modules which come with a GPS and Compass and allow for configuration to fly to waypoints and return to home. However, those other OSD modules do not work with DJI's equipment. DJI is proprietary in that way.

The controllers from DJI that support autonomous flights (waypoints), are the A2 and the WooKong. There's a ground station package that you have to purchase along with these controllers in order to do this. These are super expensive. I own an A2 with the ground station software, etc. I don't recommend any of it - to be very clear, the suggestion for you was simply to fly FPV, not for autonomous operations. The Naze-M V2 will not do autonomous flights. If that is what you want to do, then probably the least expensive unit out there, as well as the most programmable is the Pixhawk, APM, or PX4. The Vector, from Eagle Tree Systems will also do autonomous operations, but it is much less configurable - and although I own a Vector as well, I don't recommend it for this.

The least expensive route, I think, is to go with the FixHawk or ArduFlyer from RCTimer, and then to purchase all the sensors and related stuff you'll need as well. This is where my knowledge stops, though - and where you'll need to read a lot more. Luckily, there's a tremendous Wiki filled with information here: http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/introduction/

dtw

KC1UAV
...and actually, I'm wrong here... The Naza-M V2 does work with the Ground Station software by DJI... I'm so sorry I told you wrong. Check these out: http://www.dji.com/products/ground-stations

For a beginner, I guess DJI's GS would be ok - I've not used it with my Naza controller, so this is why I thought it didn't support it. But evidently it does.

engin

...and actually, I'm wrong here... The Naza-M V2 does work with the Ground Station software by DJI... I'm so sorry I told you wrong. Check these out: http://www.dji.com/products/ground-stations

For a beginner, I guess DJI's GS would be ok - I've not used it with my Naza controller, so this is why I thought it didn't support it. But evidently it does.
Hi dtw , I will buy pixhawk system... This is difficult for me. I have to learn everythings. Which one telemetry 433 or 900 mhz. I am usinig dragon 433 mz. Mobile phone uses 900mhz in Turkey.

dtw

KC1UAV
I think the 433Mhz is reserved for EU and 915Mhz for US, but I'm not sure why 433Mhz wouldn't be ok in the US because we use it all the time. It might be that just 915Mhz is not for use in the EU. Personally, I'd like to go with the 433mhz as it should carry a bit further than 915 - and yes, if you're using a long range system that's 433Mhz, it should be frequency hopping and/or spread spectrum, which should be ok to work with this 433Mhz unit.

There are less expensive versions of the Pixhawk around. For instance, you can use the RTFHawk from readytoflyquads.com - they're a good company and backup their stuff. The RTFHawk is identical to the Pixhawk as far as software and attachments go. You could also order from RCTimer.com which has the FixHawk - again, identical to the Pixhawk, but both of these options are less expensive.

I really believe, going to autonomous operations, this is the best unit of choice...